• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adhering plexi on wall, but with face-mounted vinyl on it...

fine point

I have a slight concern for my next project.

My client wants to have plexi with face-mounted printed vinyl, then have it directly adhere to wall.

It sounded simple but come to think of it, you will be adhering VINYL on the wall and vinyl adhesive will be holding the weight of plexi.

I am assuming the vinyl will be peeled, stretched, or torn sooner or later.

Do you guus have any tips and suggestions?

Thanks!

FP

Haakon

When you say face-mounted, do you mean the opposite? Reverse mounted?

If its face-mounted it will be the plexi itself that is bonded to the wall.

fine point

I meant "Face-mount" as printed side of vinyl will be facing plexi.

Like photos covered with plexi.

I hope it makes sense.

FP

Billct2

You mean reverse application or second surface application.
I have done plenty of these using mounting tape with no problem.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Common terminology: Vinyl on the face side of something is often referred to as 1st surface. Vinyl on the back side of something is often referred to as second surface.

Does the vinyl cover the entire 2nd surface? Do you have artwork or photos of the sign? How large is the sign? Details......

fine point

Thanks for the terms.
Yes, the printed vinyl will cover the entire 2nd surface of plexi.
The sign will be about 20 x 15 inch, with 1/4" thick plexi. No art works yet as of now.

my client def wants "printed" media on 2nd surface of plexi, installing directly onto the wall without any hardware.

FP

John Butto

Sintra on the back makes it heavy. Just put another piece of vinyl over the vinyl on the back (dark gray or black) and put some VHB tape on and stick to wall.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Sintra on the back makes it heavy. Just put another piece of vinyl over the vinyl on the back (dark gray or black) and put some VHB tape on and stick to wall.

This is what I would do...and add a few dollops of silicone for good measure.

Haakon

Also, you have to use 2 layers of vinyl it the print is not supposed to be transparent.

First printed reverse on clear media, applied to 2nd surface, then a layer of opaque white vinyl to make the colours on the print pop. Then mounted to wall.

fine point

so my only concern was the adhesive of vinyl will hold up the plexi?
I usually use hardware or screw them onto wall, so I have never worried about it.

Billct2

You ever tried to peel vinyl off acrylic? Doesn't exactly slide right off. With enough mounting tape there is little pressure on the vinyl.

John Butto

Just make sure you use a good VHB like 3M 4941 which has good stick on wallpaper that has plastiziers(sp) in it that they put in those high end condos.