• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe CC not CS

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
The new creative suite and cloud software is being introduced today. They are doing away with the CS suffix and replacing with CC I'm sure to highlight the direction they are heading

WildWestDesigns

More and more I'm glad that my embroidery software can do vector (and in some instances easier then Ai or Corel). I'm not liking this direction if it's the only thing that's going to be offered period.

WildWestDesigns

You know, not getting the physical box isn't so much an issue with me, even though I've never done a direct digital download for the software for myself (I did do it when my sister got Ai CS6), but I don't have an aversion to that.

My workflow is such that I can get away with Design standard. I don't need to have the entire range of Adobe products, but to get just the products that I need as a subscription would be silly.

More and more it looks like I'm just going to be using my embroidery software for all my needs (which it can, but I'll have to worry about what Corel will do even in the near term as it is interfaced with Corel as well, although I could disable that interface if needed).

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
It not just the shrink wrapped box but also the decision to upgrade every few years. You won't have that option. They are making the entire suite a monthly/yearly membership only (cloud). You either stick with cs6 and below for eternity or adopt the creative cloud. There is no "cs7"

WildWestDesigns

It not just the shrink wrapped box but also the decision to upgrade every few years. You won't have that option. They are making the entire suite a monthly/yearly membership only (cloud). You either stick with cs6 and below for eternity or adopt the creative cloud. There is no "cs7"

Well, I think they were doing away with that even before this change as it is. Even if you did do an upgrade every new release, if you don't use more then Design Premium (Production Premium), in 7 yrs you'll be saving money versus the cloud. I had already factored in upgrading every time a new version comes out, mainly because to do otherwise would cost even more for me. Upgrading my main software right when a new release comes out costs $1400 and for each year you add another grand on top of that until you hit 3 generation spread ($3400), so I really didn't have a problem with Adobe's pricing scheme with that.

My main gripe is the subscription only model.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
My feelings are pretty mixed about this.

On the positive subscribers are getting quite a few new tools not even included in the "Master Collection" creative suite. Services like Typekit cost a good bit of money on their own, but are bundled in a CC membership. That's great if you're building web sites using web fonts. Adobe has rolled out a few CC-exclusive features for the tent pole applications like Illustrator and Photoshop. The applications seem to get updated more often (bug fixes, security issues, etc.).

The downside is those extra tools in CC are only good if you use them. A $49.99 X 12 months subscription is $599.88 per year, roughly equal to the cost of upgrading a Master Collection CS license every year. You're paying to upgrade every year, even if a given year's upgrade is a real dog. Not every CS release has been stellar. Lots of users have had good reasons to skip an upgrade cycle or two. On that note, just how big an upgrade will Illustrator CC be above Illustrator CS6?

Another downside is the act of downloading all that application data. Something happened a couple months ago that wiped out all my Adobe 64-bit apps. Illustrator CS6 was the first to crash, but then I noticed I couldn't open the 64-bit version of Photoshop. No After Effects, Premiere Pro, etc. I ended up having to do a factory reset on my desktop PC, which didn't take long at all. But downloading and installing all those CS6 applications and more than 1GB of updates was a real chore. It wouldn't have been quite so bad if I had a few DVD-ROM discs.

WildWestDesigns

Speaking of upgrading, don't forget depending on the release, you might also have to upgrade your hardware as well. I know some people like to keep things for years if they can. But now that you have to upgrade or lose your software, if a program requires Win 8 (or whatever the new flavor of the month is), you have to upgrade to it. Might just be software, but it could also be hardware upgrades as well.

I don't know, Adobe can run a good marketing campaign, but I have to wonder if they will get as many people on board as they think that they will. If this hits them hard enough, they may drop it.

synergy_jim

we have 3 seats of creative cloud team edition. 100 gigs of online storage per user... Its awesome! one of the best moves we have ever made.

synergy_jim

My feelings are pretty mixed about this.

On the positive subscribers are getting quite a few new tools not even included in the "Master Collection" creative suite. Services like Typekit cost a good bit of money on their own, but are bundled in a CC membership. That's great if you're building web sites using web fonts. Adobe has rolled out a few CC-exclusive features for the tent pole applications like Illustrator and Photoshop. The applications seem to get updated more often (bug fixes, security issues, etc.).

The downside is those extra tools in CC are only good if you use them. A $49.99 X 12 months subscription is $599.88 per year, roughly equal to the cost of upgrading a Master Collection CS license every year. You're paying to upgrade every year, even if a given year's upgrade is a real dog. Not every CS release has been stellar. Lots of users have had good reasons to skip an upgrade cycle or two. On that note, just how big an upgrade will Illustrator CC be above Illustrator CS6?

Another downside is the act of downloading all that application data. Something happened a couple months ago that wiped out all my Adobe 64-bit apps. Illustrator CS6 was the first to crash, but then I noticed I couldn't open the 64-bit version of Photoshop. No After Effects, Premiere Pro, etc. I ended up having to do a factory reset on my desktop PC, which didn't take long at all. But downloading and installing all those CS6 applications and more than 1GB of updates was a real chore. It wouldn't have been quite so bad if I had a few DVD-ROM discs.

FYI, the new type kit allows downloading of all typekit fonts to the desktop for use.

WildWestDesigns

we have 3 seats of creative cloud team edition. 100 gigs of online storage per user... Its awesome! one of the best moves we have ever made.

If your workflow is at the Master Suite level, at current pricing it's a deal. But if you are at Design or Production Premium (or less) after 7 yrs your spending more money doing the cloud. And that's factoring in that first year you don't get upgrading pricing on either the cloud or the traditional license method.

Some people it will work for, some people it won't. Leave the option there for people to pick and choose what they want to have.

dypinc

And, how many of us in a demanding production environment continue to use older version just because of all the bugs Adobe introduces into upgrades. We only install new version and test them as time allows.

But many a time using an older version is a necessity because of these introduced bugs.

royster13

Leave the option there for people to pick and choose what they want to have.

I think the reason they abandoned this idea was that they were expending too many resources on too many different incarnations of their software.....By concentrating on a key suite of products that works for most of their clients they can deliver a better product at a more reasonable price....At 30.00 a month it is a "steal"...
Even at 50.00 per month it is such an insignificant % of my annual sales to worry about......

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
FYI, the new type kit allows downloading of all typekit fonts to the desktop for use.

Yeah, in scanning through the "new features" listings for Illustrator CC and InDesign CC it did mention support of TypeKit there. But I wonder if there's going to be some sort of wall that blocks the use of those fonts just for web-based output. In the Adobe Edge based applications, like Edge Animate and Muse you're basically linking to the font data and not really installing it on the local computer. I wonder if it's going to function the same way within Illustrator and InDesign.

If Typekit allows the user to load a typeface like Proxima Nova or Brandon Grotesque within Illustrator, convert the finished lettering design to outlines and save it locally it would be a freaking steal. Those commercial typefaces are pretty expensive on their own at sites like MyFonts. Typekit has a lot more than just Adobe-branded foundry fonts. As it is I keep checking with MyFonts site for the extreme discounts they have on certain new typefaces.

WildWestDesigns

I think the reason they abandoned this idea was that they were expending too many resources on too many different incarnations of their software.....By concentrating on a key suite of products that works for most of their clients they can deliver a better product at a more reasonable price....

Oh please, I think that's more marketing on their part.

At 30.00 a month it is a "steal"...
Even at 50.00 per month it is such an insignificant % of my annual sales to worry about......

I've noticed a trend here. People that say it's just $50 dollars a month (or whatever it happens to be per month) don't really see it as a cumulative affect and it is. You need to look at it over the life span that you intend to use it over.

Plus, what happens if they release an upgrade that necessitates you to upgrade other software/hardware in order to use it before you need to (or able to)? You have to factor that into the cost of that as well. That does happen with a perpetual license as well, but what I don't like is the fact that you might need to upgrade hardware/other software when there wasn't a failure. Typically when people upgrade software like this due to buying new hardware it's after some disaster has happened, not during a normal upgrade that they are now compelled to do.

Bare in mind to, this is coming from someone whose main software costs 15k and has a base upgrade charge of 1400. As far as costs go, this is nothing, especially considering that it's for a suite of programs versus just 1. There are a lot of things that are attached to this that I don't like, subscription (while a biggie) is still just only one aspect.

GP

I think the reason they abandoned this idea was that they were expending too many resources on too many different incarnations of their software.....By concentrating on a key suite of products that works for most of their clients they can deliver a better product at a more reasonable price....At 30.00 a month it is a "steal"...

That is sorta how I feel about it. I am actually 2 weeks into a trial and was considering changing to the subscription service for our work stations. Several machines are behind and I want to make sure everyone is always up to date with the latest and greatest. Even if upgrades are minimal from release to release - it is important that we are on the same level as the firms that we work with so things remain as seamless as possible. I right it off as the cost of doing business.

royster13

I've noticed a trend here. People that say it's just $50 dollars a month (or whatever it happens to be per month) don't really see it as a cumulative affect and it is. You need to look at it over the life span that you intend to use it over.

IMO as this service develops, the CC versions will be far better that the CS versions.....So even if it does cost more, it will be worth it......In any event, Adobe has made the "gamble" that enough folks will like the new way of doing business.....For those that do not, they will have to search out other alternatives....And I do not think there are any real good ones at present......

WildWestDesigns

I right it off as the cost of doing business.

Typically that's how I view software upgrades when I do them or when I make software purchases that aren't upgrades. This one just rubs me every wrong way that I can imagine.

IMO as this service develops, the CC versions will be far better that the CS versions.....So even if it does cost more, it will be worth it......

If they discontinue the CS versions, then the CC version really only should get better then a discontinued line. If it doesn't they they are in for a "world of hurt" for sure.

In any event, Adobe has made the "gamble" that enough folks will like the new way of doing business.....For those that do not, they will have to search out other alternatives....And I do not think there are any real good ones at present......

That they have and really only time will tell and a part of that is where they go from here as well.

As for alternatives, it really just depends on the workflow. I have slowly been doing more and more through my embroidery program (which does handle true vectors as well and can even handle page layout really well), so for my needs I do have an alternative, but that's going to be dependent on each individual situation. Some may not.

rfulford

I wonder how this will affect print for pay. We all complain that we have to deal with Word, PowerPoint and Publisher. What will happen when there are no customers with outdated versions of the Adobe products because they do not run on Windows 9 or OS XI? I know I should not be, but I am secretly happy to hear a client say that their brother in law has given them a copy of Photoshop that they can use for design. I do not see how this can be a good move for Adobe. I wonder if they doing this because they can or because they are losing revenue from Flash.

MichaelAlmand

by far the best move I have made in years was hooking up with CC. I don't mind paying a monthly fee for all the programs. Before the CC sub I used Illustrator and photoshop, now with CC sub I am using them as well as muse, indesign, edge animate etc... Opened up a new way of business for us.