• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe CC not CS

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Wow...all the way back to CS3, of all things. Class-action anarchy in 3...2....1....

JB

Techman

I posted on another thread that Adobe was suffering a large enough slump in sales over the CC deal that they are re-evaluating their position.

so here is an educated guess concerning the CC model.

,, take a user living in a disaster area who must reduce costs no matter what in order to recover.
It's easy for some to say that the cost of a CC subscription is just a fraction of their total gross. However. A fraction turns into a huge liability when faced with some disaster whether personal or natural that cuts income by over 50% overnight. That is what recently been discovered by more than a few users who suffered major fires, hurricanes, floods, or tornadoes recently.
This biggest growth changes are in web design. That will always be given the changes in coding websites.

And then. Adobe products are very mature. There is very little new code in any of those packages other than add in some obscure feature.
Adobe looked at selling add ons in stead of using the upgrade model. It failed. The upgrade model is failing. This CC is their saving grace??

And then ,, many users are going for single purpose usage softwares instead of bloated packages with 124 features of which only 3 are used.

IE: Design houses are using Gimp like never before to take advantage of that software's ability to handle 95% of the work flow. Then revert to photoshop for the other 5%. That means they will use just one or two photoshop seats and use 14 gimp seats.

gimp inkscape and open office and a few others are becoming very good packages.

so in the end. The reactions against the CC will bring adobe back to the upgrade model or a major change in their CC model such as a price adjustment..

WildWestDesigns

gimp inkscape and open office and a few others are becoming very good packages.

Gimp is a very good package at this time and depending on your workflow a direct replacement for Ps.

Inkscape (again depending on workflow) does need some improvements, especially in terms of how it handles layers. I use that a lot in my Corel and Ai workflow. Also, I do a lot of work based off sketches or pictures, either my own or customer supplied. Ai has the best handling of that situation with how they handle a "placed" image as a template both in normal and in outline view. Corel not so much and Inkscape doesn't have an outline view at all for raster images.

I would say LibreOffice is ahead of the game compared to Open Office.

If only there was a plugin for either Thunderbird or similar program that allowed for bulk indexed PDF archiving, I'm stuck with Outlook 2007 with the PDF Maker plugin that you get from Acrobat Pro.

so in the end. The reactions against the CC will bring adobe back to the upgrade model or a major change in their CC model such as a price adjustment..

More then likely that is going to be the case. There is going to need to be something that has a good revenue stream to it and that's going to be harder and harder to do with upgrades when the programs are so mature, particularly the flagship program.