• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe CS 6 coming soon!

JoshLoring

Moneys in the bank.
Ready to upgrade already. Has it already been a year since CS5?

Funny story- I sent files to a custom printer for custom work and they asked me to downsave in CS4! I was like.. REALLY?!

visual800

I'm personally glad its coming out so I can pickup the student version before I graduate

now thats one hell of a deal, but please note some people on here will think its wrong for you to buy this student edition and use it for work purposes after you graduate....my opinion? I would tell you buy 5 more and sell them later!!!

why in the hell do they keep changing these damn things so fast. I just got cs5 last year.

CES020

That's a lot of things based on Photoshop. I wish they would put as many clips of new things in Illustrator up.

Seems like they are on a blaze with PS, but it's quiet around the Illustrator camps.

WildWestDesigns

now thats one hell of a deal, but please note some people on here will think its wrong for you to buy this student edition and use it for work purposes after you graduate....my opinion? I would tell you buy 5 more and sell them later!!!

To my knowledge there is nothing that stipulates that "you" can't use it for such after you are a student/teacher. What is the problem, at least for me, is pretending to be a student to get the student discount, when "you" really are not. If that is what "you" are doing.

Reselling it could get you into trouble based on the EULA, depending on what is in the EULA. Remember, technically speaking we are never buying ownership of the programs, but the ability to use the programs. That use comes with stipulations.

I really don't see why you all complain about the price of the Adobe products. Full retail (there is no student/teacher versions and you don't see it on Ebay, at least not since of this posting) for a program that I use is $13,999.99 (why they leave off that one cent I'll never understand the logic). 1 Generation upgrade is $1,000, 2 generation upgrade is $2,000, and 3 generation upgrade is $3,000. That is for at most 2 programs, Corel is built into the interface of the main program, but it is also in there as a stand alone program as well, compared to the 13 that come in the Master Suite (I don't count Bridge and those type of programs).

WildWestDesigns

That's a lot of things based on Photoshop. I wish they would put as many clips of new things in Illustrator up.

Seems like they are on a blaze with PS, but it's quiet around the Illustrator camps.

I've always noticed that to. It seems like Ai is the "red-headed step child" and I really can't understand why. Unless you just have sheer numbers in the Photoshop ownership camp (even if it is just Photoshop Elements) compared to Illustrator.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
One thing that you can legally do with any Adobe Student Edition is upgrade it. There is no "Student" upgrade but it is in the student edition terms that if you do upgrade a student edition it converts to a retail license at that point. ;)

royster13

There are lots of college that offer night courses that allow you to qualify to buy student licences of Adobe products.....

rjssigns

Probably not going to upgrade. IMHO they add a couple gee whiz things that you will hardly or never use in your daily workflow. They just want your money. If they don't keep "innovating"(lol) there is no reason to buy their stuff. It is all about marketing and product life cycle.
The only reason I have 5.5 is to keep up with my classes at college, otherwise I'd still be using CS3.

WildWestDesigns

IMHO they add a couple gee whiz things that you will hardly or never use in your daily workflow.

One of the things that keeps me upgrading is that I do get outside files as well and it makes it much easier to not have to keep telling people to down save, especially if they don't have access to the program(s) and the person that did their work for them is hard to get a hold of. Inevitably there is a screw up and have to repeat that process over again, which pisses some customers off.

The only reason I have 5.5 is to keep up with my classes at college, otherwise I'd still be using CS3.

My sister is still on CS2 and probably will stay there as she does all her own stuff and doesn't get outside files.

I do think there are "innovations" that do happen with some upgrades. They may not affect what you do, but they still happen. I wish Ai had the Wacom Airbrush pen tool support that Ps has had since CS2 or CS3.

A lot does have to deal with marketing/product life cycle, but if they just only came out with newer ones to keep up with the changing of technology, some other company would surpass them.

visual800

geez, I'm on Illy 10 (don't laugh) and just today bought CS2 and bought Corel X4 3 weeks ago. Guess I'm just not up to speed or to cheap to buy the latest and greatest thing.

I was on windows 98 until xp had been out a good year. I was using using flexi 7.6 and then jumped to 10. I went from illustrator cs to cs5. I just dont get people who leap every year to the latest and greatest....or lack there of in some cases

Custom_Grafx

Moneys in the bank.

Funny story- I sent files to a custom printer for custom work and they asked me to downsave in CS4! I was like.. REALLY?!

oh please... I have one guy who deals in ai eps v3 :S

WildWestDesigns

oh please... I have one guy who deals in ai eps v3 :S

Actually, if I'm auto digitizing for embroidery, those are the more stable files that I like to deal with. However, auto digitizing is like power trace or live trace. The file has to be set up perfectly from the get go for that to work.

The biggest problem is those that I deal with don't know how to save in a legacy format even if they have the ability to do so period.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I was on windows 98 until xp had been out a good year. I was using using flexi 7.6 and then jumped to 10. I went from illustrator cs to cs5. I just dont get people who leap every year to the latest and greatest....or lack there of in some cases

If you create your own designs and never accept customer files then you can use any version of the software you choose. You can do a majority of the design work in any version of Illustrator and Photoshop. Adobe made some functions easier, less steps, etc over the years. Personally I could trace any file in Illustrator 7 or 8 if I wanted to. the basic drawing tools have not changed that much

If you accept customer files then it is important to be up to date. Asking a customer to save down their file to a legacy format is not always feasible. If they designed the file, then they likely have access to the program and can do so easily.

However, some may take their job elsewhere if you cannot open the file they provided. Maybe they feel you are not at the cutting edge or don't want the hassle. There is also the possibility that the file will change in appearance slightly when saved down

royster13

If you create your own designs and never accept customer files then you can use any version of the software you choose. You can do a majority of the design work in any version of Illustrator and Photoshop. Adobe made some functions easier, less steps, etc over the years. Personally I could trace any file in Illustrator 7 or 8 if I wanted to. the basic drawing tools have not changed that much

If you accept customer files then it is important to be up to date. Asking a customer to save down their file to a legacy format is not always feasible. If they designed the file, then they likely have access to the program and can do so easily.

However, some may take their job elsewhere if you cannot open the file they provided. Maybe they feel you are not at the cutting edge or don't want the hassle. There is also the possibility that the file will change in appearance slightly when saved down

Agree 100%....

signswi

Moneys in the bank.

Funny story- I sent files to a custom printer for custom work and they asked me to downsave in CS4! I was like...REALLY?!

Don't you hate that? I had a vendor ask for CS2 this year. I figure if you can't stay upgraded your company either isn't stable and viable or isn't interested in pushing the envelope, so I'm not interested in doing business with you.

If you need a downsave for embroidery software or whatever as above, that's cool, but do the downsaving in house don't make the customer do it.

rjssigns

"I figure if you can't stay upgraded your company either isn't stable and viable or isn't interested in pushing the envelope, so I'm not interested in doing business with you."
from Signswi

Okay I guess our shop is not stable, viable, pushing the envelope or able to do business with you since we don't rush to buy every upgrade, and only have the CS5.5 Suite.

Good to know.

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

If you need a downsave for embroidery software or whatever as above, that's cool, but do the downsaving in house don't make the customer do it.

I didn't say I made the client down save to an EPS 3 file. I just said that EPS 3 files work the best for auto digitizing, due to they are simple files, don't support gradients and clipping masks. You can do gradients in embroidery, but that has to be mapped and done manually, not rendered by the computer automatically.

The bit about my saying that my customers don't know how to save in a legacy format even if they have the ability to do so, is more of a reason of not having to deal with the customer to do it on their own.

Several reasons why I believe upgrading should be down on a semi-frequent basis.

1. Make it easier to accept customer files

2. Be able to take advantage of the more current computer hardware.

3. There are actually improvements that are done, it really just depends on if they affect your production or not.

4. Able to spread out the cost. If I had waited to upgrade in a similar fashion like the CS to CS5 example, that would be 14 grand. If I upgrade every 2 generations, that's just 2 grand. I bet that 2,500 or so for the entire Master Suite sounds pretty good to y'all right about now.