• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

adobe illustrator CC ?

petepaz

we upgraded to CS6 about 6 months ago, give or take. and now i am getting files from customers that say they were created in a newer version of illustrator, what the hell?
i checked adobe.com and they are at illustrator CC (creative cloud) anyway i would have thought i could get through at least 1 version up grade before they weren't compatible anymore.
this is crazy. anyone else having this issue?
anyway to get around it?

Supergirl

Ask the customers to save as CS6.

If you try opening in CC, you see that you get a flat, uneditable file which is a complete BS, as I'm sure you already tried.

Good luck and let us know if you come up with a better solution.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
Lack of forward compatibility has been standard in Adobe Illustrator from one version to the next for as long as I can remember. The same thing goes for CorelDRAW. You can't open files saved in a newer version.

If the person who created the .AI file saved it with PDF compatibility then there's an outside chance it could be opened successfully. Sometimes Illustrator will offer to open the PDF data, but with some warning about potential compatibility issues.

What really stinks is the last couple versions of Illustrator have new effects, such as gradients on strokes, which are cool yet are not backward compatible. You'll break the CS6 or CC dependent effect if you save down to an earlier version. And there's potential hassles in outputting to PDF or bringing the artwork into InDesign. These issues do more to force a user into getting on the $50 per month hook with Creative Cloud.

petepaz

got them to re-send the files so it's all good but big pain. i new at some point we would have to switch over to the cloud service but less than a year. that's a little ridiculous.

Marlene

I've been sent a couple of Illy files that are just a big mess when I open them in Omega, is this maybe my problem too? anyone else using Omega having issues with Illy files?

Bly

I guess we're all looking at this problem.

I was just looking at subscriptions yesterday.
We really only ever use Illy and PS so the full package seems unnecessary.

What's everyone else signing up for?

Illy and PS works out to be $30 a month as opposed to $50 for the whole shebang.

paul luszcz

Just one of many agonizing aspects of the Creative Cloud subscription is they don't even notify you that newer versions exist for the downloading. They continue to notify you of updates available for CS6, but I didn't find out there was a newer version until I received the same message from a customer.

I read this thread while I'm waiting for Illustrator CC to finish downloading.

rjssigns

As a general rule we don't accept native formats. Most times we ask for PDF's.

Not a fan of any "pay or else" program. CS6 will be it for me until such point in time it becomes useless. Then I revert to Corel.(which is where I started anyway)

Biker Scout

I will never be able to justify another monthly expense. Even if it's "Just $50". When does it stop? I'm still reeling from paying full price for the creative suite of CS5 and I intend to keep right on using it. I've always stuck with their odd numbered updates. So I'm never going to CS6. Now that's not even a reality. I've already heard too many negative things with the cloud version anyway to keep me far, far away. At some point, something's gotta give with Adobe. Maybe, just maybe there will be a better alternative that I can just own outright and has everything Illustrator has allowed me to do. I've been with them since 2.0. Then from Aldus Page Maker 3.0, to now InDesign. Jumping ship at this point feels like it would be professional suicide. Having to learn new programs, and what about the gajillion files I already have that are in Adobe's proprietary format? UGGGH!!

WildWestDesigns

At some point, something's gotta give with Adobe.

I think it will depend on how Corel handles itself as that is the closet competitor when it comes to Ai. Now as far as I'm concerned GIMP is an alternative for my use of Ps. Not for everyone mind you, but it is for me.

If Corel goes full subscription, we might see more work on things like Inkscape.

Maybe, just maybe there will be a better alternative that I can just own outright and has everything Illustrator has allowed me to do.

You won't be able to own it outright if it's commercial software more then likely (Ai, DRAW etc) as those are licensed to end users, not technically sold. Your best bet for a type of ownership would be something like Inkscape where you have full legal access to the source code as well.

I've been with them since 2.0. Then from Aldus Page Maker 3.0, to now InDesign. Jumping ship at this point feels like it would be professional suicide. Having to learn new programs, and what about the gajillion files I already have that are in Adobe's proprietary format? UGGGH!!

I've been trying my hand at Scribus. Not a bad little program and open source. Not like InDesign at this point, but again, it will all depend on how others handle it as well. That will determine how quickly the open source versions come along.

Supergirl

I prefer Illustrator to Flexi, and since the graphtec cutting master 2 is compatible with CC, i decided to give it a try.
it helps that I teach part time and can get a subscription for $21.

I am not using any of the new features yet, and ready to downgrade to CS6 if needed. I figured $21 is not bad ;-)

p3

You can open the files normally. It will say it was generated by a newer version of illustrator but I have not ran into any issues. I have a co worker operating on CC and i'm on CS6. When I open the file I do have to right click and remove clipping mask and that's it. The only time you will run into an issue is if the graphic stretches off the main white part of the artboard when someone with CC saves the file. It will show as cut off when you open it.

p3

As far as updates, if you have the creative cloud app, it runs and lets you know if your programs are up to date. Very similar to an actual copy of any adobe product how you get a pop up notification, or by going to help > updates. I never get notified, not even for OS updates or anything, just general habit to check on my own. I mainly check when I notice issues. Not that big of a deal, but make sure you have the app running if you are ever concerned and you will know whats up to date and what's not.

hansman

I will never be able to justify another monthly expense. Even if it's "Just $50". When does it stop? I'm still reeling from paying full price for the creative suite of CS5 and I intend to keep right on using it. I've always stuck with their odd numbered updates. So I'm never going to CS6. Now that's not even a reality. I've already heard too many negative things with the cloud version anyway to keep me far, far away. At some point, something's gotta give with Adobe. Maybe, just maybe there will be a better alternative that I can just own outright and has everything Illustrator has allowed me to do. I've been with them since 2.0. Then from Aldus Page Maker 3.0, to now InDesign. Jumping ship at this point feels like it would be professional suicide. Having to learn new programs, and what about the gajillion files I already have that are in Adobe's proprietary format? UGGGH!!

Agreed...........It is ridiculous.
However not switching can have its drawbacks.
BTW Aldus Pagemaker! That program just plain sucked.
I remember everyone jumping to the first versions of Quark, then after you had everything built and saved you had to switch to Adobe InDesign.
Problem here is you really need to have what your client has. IMHO even requesting them to back save something sends a red flag to them.
Unfortunately the mentality is > I don't have to back save for xyz graphics? Maybe I will just send them the job.

petepaz

You can open the files normally. It will say it was generated by a newer version of illustrator but I have not ran into any issues. I have a co worker operating on CC and i'm on CS6. When I open the file I do have to right click and remove clipping mask and that's it. The only time you will run into an issue is if the graphic stretches off the main white part of the artboard when someone with CC saves the file. It will show as cut off when you open it.

i got the message that file can not be opened, created by a newer version of illustrator and it opens a window but nothing shows up

hansman

Best to get it back saved to be safe.
It will usually say created by a newer version of illustrator some data loss will occur. DO NOT OPEN IT THIS WAY. The image wil get all wonky. Layers will get lost. Transparency will go away. WARNING.

Bobby H

Arial Sucks.
If the Illustrator CC file will not open in CS6 at all I suspect the person who created the .AI CC file saved it without PDF compatibility.

Regarding Creative Cloud, we use enough different Adobe applications to justify the full subscription on two computers. I use Photoshop & Illustrator the most by far, but also use Acrobat Pro, InDesign, Premiere & After Effects on a fairly frequent basis. I'm going to dive more into the "Edge" tools for web development. Adobe has made some improvements over the past year, but still has a way to go.

Bly

Problem here is you really need to have what your client has. IMHO even requesting them to back save something sends a red flag to them.
Unfortunately the mentality is > I don't have to back save for xyz graphics? Maybe I will just send them the job.

Yep. If you're a print provider keeping up to date design apps is expected..
Although I could probably count on one hand the number of Indesign files I've been given over the last couple of years.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
You could always ask them to save it down to an industry standard like..... power point.
I've received 1 of these and 2 docx files so far, 2014 is looking good.

wayne k
guam usa