• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

adobe illustrator CC ?

Bly

You could always ask them to save it down to an industry standard like..... power point.
I've received 1 of these and 2 docx files so far, 2014 is looking good.

wayne k
guam usa

No probs. Just a quick wipe over with some of this and you're good to go.

Attachments

• turdpolish.jpg
    turdpolish.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 111

petepaz

i agree you don't want to start going back and forth with customers and art. they will get tired and give it to someone who has all the latest files. in the same respect can't we get a break from adobe. it's crazy that you can't even go a year before they update and you have to dump out more cash. we sprung for the creative suite so we would have everything we needed. we used to just get illustrator then as time went on we needed Photoshop and now the past 2-3 years we have been getting a lot of in design files so now we have the whole package. i think i have had the cs6 less than a year and when we got that it was the latest version now i have to jump on the cloud. just seems like they really have you by the balls and keep twisting.

Locals Find!

I have never understood the mindset in the sign industry of you have to have the same software your client has.

I know when I was in the promotional products industry each supplier/manufacturer had a set standard to how they accepted artwork. Usually it was a version or 5 behind the current version if you were submitting .AI files or .CDR files. If it works for a multi billion dollar a year industry like that. Why can't it be the same for sign shops?

hansman

I am not saying it wont work. I was just trying to play devil's advocate. Sure you can make a stand on what the latest file you wil accept, but you are in danger of distancing yourself from the shop who has the latest and greatest.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
i agree you don't want to start going back and forth with customers and art. they will get tired and give it to someone who has all the latest files. in the same respect can't we get a break from adobe. it's crazy that you can't even go a year before they update and you have to dump out more cash. we sprung for the creative suite so we would have everything we needed. we used to just get illustrator then as time went on we needed Photoshop and now the past 2-3 years we have been getting a lot of in design files so now we have the whole package. i think i have had the cs6 less than a year and when we got that it was the latest version now i have to jump on the cloud. just seems like they really have you by the balls and keep twisting.

The typical time between versions has been 12-18 months. It sounds like when you purchased cs6 you were not made aware that a newer version was coming out soon. You said you got it about 6 months ago. That was when CC was introduced. June of 2013. CS6 came out about June of 2012. Surprised you did not know, as there was so much press about the new cloud only format that Adobe was implementing. It was mentioned on here a dozen times or more and has been met with lukewarm response in the design/graphics community

Subscription software is increasing. I see it showing up more.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
I have never understood the mindset in the sign industry of you have to have the same software your client has.

I know when I was in the promotional products industry each supplier/manufacturer had a set standard to how they accepted artwork. Usually it was a version or 5 behind the current version if you were submitting .AI files or .CDR files. If it works for a multi billion dollar a year industry like that. Why can't it be the same for sign shops?

I don't think that is the case. I bet if you took a poll here, maybe 10% or less have gone to CC. If you are producing your own graphics then you can make do with any software, but if you frequently accept customer files then being on the latest version can be important. Unless Adobe backpedals and there are no alternatives, then many will have no choice but to upgrade to CC or be left behind.

phototec

Unless Adobe backpedals and there are no alternatives, then many will have no choice but to upgrade to CC or be left behind.

Or, enough people like me and a few others on here resist being manipulated by Adobe, and stand fast and NOT purchase the CC version, after a year or so when they see a large drop in people signing up, they may re-think this approach and come back around and offer both.

But this will never happen if everyone gives in to CC, we must make a stand like we did at the Boston Tea Party, you can make a change unless we all stand together and resist (IMHO).

:smile:

Techman

I went to a seminar in Nov. All software packages there went to the subscription model. If I subscribed to all the packages it would cost about $1500 a month. Very few average users could afford or willing to pay for an increase of $1500 a month in expenses.
Needless to say,, the vendors were crying how tough the sell was this year. I told one vendor group that I would not be doing any subscriptions. That I would sit in their seminar modules and that would be it.

First: I would not pay $1500 a month from now on and be held hostage to some vendor. Second: there was nothing new being offered that most of us did not already have. Third: there was not a single package any of us could not live without.

One module was a monthly charge of $90 a month to get an app for the iPhone to give to clients. That way we can spam our clients with Facebook type posts and then make an offer every three days on some special..
I predict there will be a serious shakeup in the software world very soon with this subscription model.