• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe Illustrator Unknown File Format

SignAnnex

I'm trying to open customer logo file and I’m getting an "unknown file format and cannot be opened" error message. They have sent it to me twice and I’m wondering if it's a problem on my end. I am using CS4 and the file has an .ai extension. Can CS4 open an .ai file generated in CS5?

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Have them zip the file before emailing. It could be corrupt. Also I have seen where some customers have simply renamed a file to .ai or .eps thinking that would work

If it was a newer file it will tell you so. The error is likely from the above

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
It will warn you that the file is from a newer version. If it is saying unknown file format the file is corrupted.

Tim Kingston

I have had this happen a couple of times too. I imported the file into Flexi
( which accepted it ) and then selected the Artwork and exported it back out again as an .eps, worked fine.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Try opening the file in a text editor like WordPad. If it is an AI file, it will have a header in plain English giving information about it.