• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advertising on your signs

bfwaits

I am wondering if any of you include your business on the face of your signs? I include my company name/contact on the back of all banners, but wondering about adding it to the face. I am doing a few sidewalk signs for a customer and was thinking about adding my company name to the bottom, about 1/4" tall text only, name and phone number. Thoughts? Thanks

visual800

I dont feel its appropriate. The customer bought a sign for them not for your free advertisement. Id keep it on the back of banners I dont see anything wrong with that

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Did ask your customer ??

I don't like it when I buy a vehicle and they have their name and identification plastered all over it. I ask them to remove it, unless they wanna pay me to advertise for them.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Did ask your customer ??

I don't like it when I buy a vehicle and they have their name and identification plastered all over it. I ask them to remove it, unless they wanna pay me to advertise for them.

Around here, some of the more well-known sign writers sign their work with fairly large logos and signatures. In a way, it's almost like a fashion designer label.

JB

bfwaits

I dont feel its appropriate. The customer bought a sign for them not for your free advertisement. Id keep it on the back of banners I dont see anything wrong with that

Thats pretty much what my feeling has been. I thought of this idea when I saw some parking signs at HD and they had the manufactures name on the front border. I think I will stick with the backs. Thanks for your input.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
It's the customer's sign, so it should be up to them. I'm with Gino on the car thing...that's one of the first things I do when I get a new car is remove the dealer-applied lettering.

ams

I don't do it as I don't think it's professional. Lowen does that on every single and it looks awful.

reQ

It pisses me off when i see competitor's label right on the front side of the sign they made. I always tell my customer that i don't stick my labels on sign/vehicles, even if they tell me i can. It does not feel right to me.

TSC1985

We put ours on the back of signs. Just a little .5" x 1" decal with our logo and contact information. We like to have some fun with them and use all the cool films and finishes for our edge machine. We have found that it actually helps with reordering, especially if companies tend to have high turnover rates.

signbrad

Putting your company 'bug' on the face of your work, very small, was a common practice among sign painters in the old days. Not everybody did it. And not everybody did it on every sign, but it was very common.

I never thought of it as a moral issue. Back in the day, I actually had customers who were disappointed when I didn't do it. "Aren't you going to sign it?" some would ask. At least some people viewed their sign as a work of art and wanted the signature of the 'artist' on it. And I don't know how many times I got calls from people who said they got my name off a sign I did.

I didn't put it on the face of every sign, but I usually did. Sometimes on a post. Always a label on the side of a lighted cabinet. Always tiny and inconspicuous. You had to walk up to the sign to read it.

During my Arkansas years, I was the only shop that consistently put my name on my work. There were two other shops in the county, but people often told me they thought I did all the sign work. I even got credit for signs I didn't do because my name was on so many of them.

In the 42 years I've been in the industry, I recall only a few times a client asked me to remove my logo. Once, I had put it on dozens of sandblasted redwood signs that I did for a bunch of different apartment complexes all owned by a huge Chicago real estate company. It was small and centered in bottom border—sandblasted. The buyer called me and said that the company owners wanted to know how difficult it would be to remove the logo. I said it would be very difficult. He said, "Nevermind, then. But we prefer it not to be there in the future."

As a cub I worked for a shop called SuperSigns. They always used a little five-sided gem shape for the dash in the phone number, instead of the dash. In the middle of the gem was an SS, similar to the S in the Superman comic logo. It was low contrast, but always there. Once, years later, I was trying to talk a store owner into re-doing his sign and he took me out and pointed to the little SS on the sign. He said, "I'm not ready for a new sign yet, but when I am, I will only have them do it." It was a status symbol for him.

But, I know times have changed.

Brad in Kansas City

Billct2

Like Brad said, a sign bug was very common once. And now I see some large companies put it on everything. I sometimes put a small sticker on a sign, usually on the end of a cabinet or small in the bottom right corner, but not a lot. It does help if someone moves into a space and is wondering where to get a new sign.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You guys have changed this from your own advertisement on the face of a little 'A' Frame type sign..... to the end of an electrical cabinet. Yes, large type free standing signs, no question. On an end-plate or backside of a structure, yes, but not on the face of a little sign in front of some guy's store.

reQ

You guys have changed this from your own advertisement on the face of a little 'A' Frame type sign..... to the end of an electrical cabinet. Yes, large type free standing signs, no question. On an end-plate or backside of a structure, yes, but not on the face of a little sign in front of some guy's store.
Just this weekend, i saw a 4x8 ft coro sign with 3x6 inch sign shop sticker on front side of it LOL

Logoadv

Around here, I see this done a LOT on banners and signs for small businesses, mostly on products from Fastsigns. My guess is they are giving the customer a pretty big price cut since they put their own logo fairly large on the banner and signs. I've also seen vehicles for radio stations or sports teams they have done where the entire tailgate on a truck looks like a Fastsigns ad. I hate it and would never want to do it that way. Sure, put a small decal on the corner of the vehicle or back of the banner or sign with your info, but not where they can't decide if it's a banner advertising a mexican restaurant or a sign shop.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
When I was making signs my general rule used to be, never advertise your business on someone useless sign unless you gave it to them for free or highly discounted. When I buy a car, I hate it when the dealer puts their sticker on my car.

wtf.jpg
I think if you're doing printed signs, there's nothing wrong with placing your company info at about 8 to 10 pt. in the bottom corner of the signs you make. Nobody will notice it outside of 5 or 10 feet away anyhow.

2B

depends on the product but most all items get tagged.

for signs, it is always a removable decal, typically on the backside.
banners on the fold over portion of the hem, we also include cleaning/installation instructions here .