• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice for shop expansion

Signed Out

With leds you want high CRI and those are >80 which I guess is considered "good" but not "excellent".
Thanks for the reply. Is the CRI more to do about color than brightness?

I guess I should elaborate more, this additions main use will be install bays for lettering and wraps. So I'm not concerned so much about the color of the lighting as one would be for a print room. My bigger concern is that we will have 20' celling's and also when vehicles, like a bus or 48' trailer is pulled in, they block some of the lighting.

I have a couple LED garage lights in my garage at home, nothing special picked them up at home depot. They are bright, but the light seems like it doesn't spread out as far? Is that a thing with LED?

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
I ended up going with 6 bulb high bay T5 lights. I didnt like the LED lights but the main factor was when the LED lights break, will they still have the same model available? If not, you either have a mismatched light or have to change them all. You can always get bulbs and ballasts or can swap to LED tubes down the road.

ProSignTN

Overhead lights get blocked by tall vehicles in bay. For the install bay, I have linear lighting around the wall at 100" tall. Eight foot clearance below so they don't get hit by a 4x8 panel or a step ladder.

Graphic Extremes

Knows To Little
With leds you want high CRI and those are >80 which I guess is considered "good" but not "excellent".
Check with your power company, I'm in upstate NY and my power company had a program to install HO led lighting and they financed at zero percent. Plus you may have a tax incentive to install led lighting.. I got free financing and a five year tax credit..