• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Question Aftermarket motorcycle decals legal issue

udmurt

There is a niche market opportunity in my country (Hungary) to make aftermarket motorcycle decals, sticker sets. These decals are 1:1 copy of the original, no custom design. I know a few up-and-running webshops where they sell tons of decals by brand, type and years (eg. Yamaha, Honda, Suzuki, etc).

My question is: Is it legal to sell replicas without any license? I found one shop, they say: "Please note, that we are selling aftermarket decals, but our products are offered under license, and we have a paid agreement with companies." I'm not sure a huge company like Yamaha sign a contract with a little Ltd. to make aftermarket decals. What do you think?

Attachments

• honda-600rr-2003-black-full-sticker-set.JPG
    honda-600rr-2003-black-full-sticker-set.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 299

victor bogdanov

Not legal

what will happen if you do it anyways? probably a cease and desist letter if you get noticed. If you sell alot and get noticed might have to write a big check. Depends alot on the laws of your country. If you were in China you would get an honorary medal for the counterfeit work

If you sell it in Hungary nobody cares, if you sell it outside of the country you'll have to go through an online selling platform that won't allow these things and your listing will be taken down (ebay, etsy). Nobody will give you a fine but you won't make it very far.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I would find something else to make.

I have made a couple here and there for locals who are refinishing antique tractors or antique snowmobiles but would never try to sell online or produce multiples of any one thing. Plenty of other work to do.

ProSignTN

I good friend and small customer of mine wanted decals for a specific Harley-Davidson a few years ago. I told him it would take hours to reproduce the complicated design. We found the decals online and bought them. The seller stated there was only one set. The next day he somehow had one more set. He was probably trying to protect himself from a cease & desist.