• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Agfa jeti Titan hs

rmscoms

Hi, we are currently considering a Agfa jeti titan or their new realease Mira.
Does anyone have any info regarding the Titan hs. How has it performed? Is the maintenance and breakdown good, how good is the quality off the White out text 4pt size? Is their any big cons against this. I had this down with the Fuji acuity so just looking for some more inspiration. Everything I hear and seem about Agfa seems to be positive.
Any help would be very grateful.
Thank you.

rmscoms

Well after visiting Agfa in Belgium and being able to have a first view off the Mira it was very impressive. The machine printed everything we asked off it and has very much came to the forefront off our thoughts. Production speed quality was very good and some express speed work was good considering the speed. If anyone wants any information on these machines feel free to ask, well worth considering if your looking for a new digital flatbed.

ForgeInc

Did you end up getting one? We are contemplating a Mira as well, seems to be a good machine - would love any feedback or input if you did pull the trigger.

Andy D

The only thing I can add is Agfa has been a great company
to work with, anytime I have had a issue they have a tech here the next day.

ForgeInc

The only thing I can add is Agfa has been a great company
to work with, anytime I have had a issue they have a tech here the next day.

Nice, are you still under service contract? (I ask because I have heard their prices on parts are outrageous if not under warranty) Do you have local service or do they fly in?

Their cost per/sf of ink is pretty attractive - and we've had some pretty quality sample prints sent to us. I think we're gonna fly to Toronto to check out the factory...

PrintItBig

One thing that put us off Agfa is I've read a few people complain about the ink fading pretty quickly outside, to the point they felt they could only use it for internal prints. This was on the UK sign forums so not exactly challenging sunny conditions. I have no experience of it myself though and I'm not sure what inkset they were using so it may have been resolved with a newer inkset.

Andy D

Nice, are you still under service contract? (I ask because I have heard their prices on parts are outrageous if not under warranty) Do you have local service or do they fly in?

Their cost per/sf of ink is pretty attractive - and we've had some pretty quality sample prints sent to us. I think we're gonna fly to Toronto to check out the factory...

Yes, we're still under warranty on one of our printers, the other we have an ink contract with them so our parts and service is discounted by 50%.
We have a local tech but many times they fly someone in depending what the issue is.

One thing that put us off Agfa is I've read a few people complain about the ink fading pretty quickly outside, to the point they felt they could only use it for internal prints. This was on the UK sign forums so not exactly challenging sunny conditions. I have no experience of it myself though and I'm not sure what inkset they were using so it may have been resolved with a newer inkset.

We haven't had any such issues, Agfa has many different inks, even for my printer there is 2-3 different series I could use.

klmiller611

I may be comparing apples to oranges here, but we bought a Anapurna Mv back in late 2008. It was an early model and had (and still does) a problem with a "wait data" error. It is nothing to make it repeatable, but once it happens, whatever you are printing is pretty much toast. We had a service tech in several times while under warranty but he never could find anything. It is still an occasional irritation. I think, however, our service tech was good, up front and honest. However, the nearest one is about 3 hours away by car. It had several issues in the first year, but they were good about it.

On parts, once it was out of warranty, outrageous is hardly the word. I had a fan go out, it was about $400 through Agfa, I found it elsewhere after a time for about $150. I think it applies to all the parts.

I think they were great to deal with as long as you have an actual contact, my contact was transferred when they merged with Pitman, and now, nothing.

Ken Miller

Andy D

On parts, once it was out of warranty, outrageous is hardly the word. I had a fan go out, it was about $400 through Agfa, I found it elsewhere after a time for about $150. I think it applies to all the parts.

I think they were great to deal with as long as you have an actual contact, my contact was transferred when they merged with Pitman, and now, nothing.

Ken Miller

Ken,
Do you have a ink contract with them? If not you should call your sales person and have one set up.
It's nothing binding, you just show them about how much ink you go through a year and agree to buy
your in from them, in exchange you get free phone tech support & a 50% discount on ink, parts and on site tech service.

I agree about Pittman though, I'm a fan of Agfa but not of Pittman.

Last edited:

ForgeInc

All great info, thx everyone!

Will keep you posted on our thoughts / progress as we visit the factory...

klmiller611

Ken,
Do you have a ink contract with them? If not you should call your sales person and have one set up.
It's nothing binding, you just show them about how much ink you go through a year and agree to buy
your in from them, in exchange you get free phone tech support & a 50% discount on ink, parts and on site tech service.

I agree about Pittman though, I'm a fan of Agfa but not of Pittman.

Hi Andy

Our sales person was through Advantage, the contact I had through Agfa was transferred to some other division, and nobody was ever given to me afterward as a point of contact.

I barely go through a set of ink in 6 months, we really do not put out the volume that many shops do. We are on our second head replacement right now, the magenta went out in January, the cyan a few days ago. We are doing this ourselves. It may take a bit more time, and effort on our part, but it keeps the travel cost of Agfa service out of play.

Best
Ken

rmscoms

All great info, thx everyone!

Will keep you posted on our thoughts / progress as we visit the factory...

Hi
Just wondering if you have managed a visit yet to see the mira, heard they have made some modifications and improved speed and quality which is always good to hear.

Thanks.

KaranGrewal

Not yet, I believe our production manager is slated to go out there and visit later this month.

Hi, Please share if you have any updates on Agfa mira, as we are also considering it. We have Fuji Acuity x2 right now. We need upgrade and bit faster printer.
quality is absolutely beautiful on Fuji, but print head require lots of care. So If you have visited Agfa factory please post updates. Thank you,

KaranGrewal

Just finish talking with another sign shop who has both .. agfa Titan and Fuji Acuity flatbed printers. I was they had issues with agfa inks on exterior stuff ( coroplast ). now they have switch to new Agfa ink called G4.
and they are also not very happy with AFGA service here in western Canada. He didn't have any info on new Mira printer though.

KaranGrewal

We got the print samples from AGFA today ( there files not ours). all samples are printed on Titan HS not mira ( as we requested ) there is also coroplast print sample. its says printed with primer under lyer. So we did
scratch test on it , and nothing came off. They are going to send Mira samples as well.

Andy D

Just finish talking with another sign shop who has both .. agfa Titan and Fuji Acuity flatbed printers. I was they had issues with agfa inks on exterior stuff ( coroplast ). now they have switch to new Agfa ink called G4.
and they are also not very happy with AFGA service here in western Canada. He didn't have any info on new Mira printer though.

So you're saying they had issues with an earlier generation ink with coroplast and they switched to the G4 (generation four) ink?
My printer is using the G1 and I do have issues with coro and couple other substrates and we're currently negotiating a ink swap , I would very interest to know
if the G4 fixed their issues and if it has any cons to it.

Thanks

KaranGrewal

So you're saying they had issues with an earlier generation ink with coroplast and they switched to the G4 (generation four) ink?
My printer is using the G1 and I do have issues with coro and couple other substrates and we're currently negotiating a ink swap , I would very interest to know
if the G4 fixed their issues and if it has any cons to it.

Thanks

Yes, that what I told, They had issues with the older generation inks and now they have switched to G4 inks. according to him its sticking better now. He didn't talk abt any cons since it was
switched recently.

ForgeInc

Our production manager did visit the shop and was impressed, although we too are awaiting some new print samples w/ ink that is supposed to stick better to acrylic.

Everything we've seen so far has been impressive though.