• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ai help please

Bigcat_hunter

What am I doing wrong? I am trying to combine a font (converted to outlines) and a splatter effect using the pathfinder tool.

I place the splatter effect over the text, and use the "minus Front" tool in pathfinder. It eliminates every letter but the first one. See attachments. Any help would be appreciated. Sorry I am still learning Ai after using Freehand for my the last twelve years.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 1.57.42 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 1.57.42 PM.jpg
    16 KB · Views: 118
  • Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 1.57.53 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 1.57.53 PM.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 1.59.37 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 1.59.37 PM.png
    53.4 KB · Views: 81
  • Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 1.59.24 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2013-09-15 at 1.59.24 PM.jpg
    4.8 KB · Views: 98

Vinylman

I had a similar situation several years ago.

If I remember correctly, what I did was "UNGROUP" the lettering, {THEN}, make copies of the distressed effect you want to use { ONE FOR EACH LETTER}.
What I did then was to take each letter separately, overlay ONE of the effects, and follow your original idea of " minus front", then repeat for each letter. once completed you should have all the letters distressed, and you can then line them up and group them together.

Bigcat_hunter

I had a similar situation several years ago.

If I remember correctly, what I did was "UNGROUP" the lettering, {THEN}, make copies of the distressed effect you want to use { ONE FOR EACH LETTER}.
What I did then was to take each letter separately, overlay ONE of the effects, and follow your original idea of " minus front", then repeat for each letter. once completed you should have all the letters distressed, and you can then line them up and group them together.

Thanks I will give that a try.

JLD984

When you convert the text to outlines, ungroup the letters then combine/weld them to make them all one object. That way you only have to subtract the effect from the text once, instead of once for each letter.

ddubia

My suggestion was gong to be what BigCat mentioned.

JLD, I'm going to try your suggestion as I've never done that and it would save some time and aggravation.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
That effect you are going for does not look like it will be plotted (or shouldn't be).
If you are going to print couldn't you make the letters a clipping mask and clip the grunge effect inside them?

wayne k
guam usa