• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Air in Majenta line and pump not sucking ink

Daveg123

Hi all
My 1204 was printing perfect when used last. I went on holidays 2 weeks and forgot to leave the printer in sleep mode. When I come back and tried to print a banner had no majenta. I did a clean and a little charge but still the same, everything else was fine. Then I noticed that there was air in the majenta line. I sucked ink into the dampers but noticed that when I disconnected the syringe the ink went back to the cartridge.I replaced the capping station even though I had only replaced the station a month ago. Now I have done multiple cleaning and little charges plus sucked cleaning fluid through the pump. still cannot get the ink to flow through the lines and still have air in the majenta line. The maintenance station appears to be working ok but I can't get the ink to go through the pump.
Do I need a new maintenance station? How do I check the printhead is perfectly flat or is the capping station at fault.
I am frustrated and tried everything I know . Help.

RG

Hello, Daveg123. If ink won't go through the pump, that's a big problem. Take the cap top off and try to push cleaning fluid into the tubes going into the pump. If you can not push any fluid through, then use another syringe and try to suction from the bottom tubes that exit the pump and the same time you are pushing fluid into the top of the pump. If that doesn't work, the reverse it and suction from the top and push from the bottom. Also, make sure that the air tube that is under the cap top is not stopped up with dried ink. While the cap top is off, push some cleaning fluid backwards through the 2 tubes that are under the cap top. If it's easier for your, then just replace the whole maintenance station. As for the magenta ink going back toward the cartridge, seems like the o-ring has gone bad and needs to be replaced. If the dampers have not been replaced for a long time, now would be a good time to replace all of them. This would cost you less than $20 on eBay. And, make sure there is plenty of ink in the magenta cartridge. I once had a yellow cartridge run dry and the printer kept on printing. It was showing 30% full and the tab did not pop out to signal the cartridge was empty. Stuff happens. But, first, having a good, working maintenance station is essential.

Daveg123

Hello, Daveg123. If ink won't go through the pump, that's a big problem. Take the cap top off and try to push cleaning fluid into the tubes going into the pump. If you can not push any fluid through, then use another syringe and try to suction from the bottom tubes that exit the pump and the same time you are pushing fluid into the top of the pump. If that doesn't work, the reverse it and suction from the top and push from the bottom. Also, make sure that the air tube that is under the cap top is not stopped up with dried ink. While the cap top is off, push some cleaning fluid backwards through the 2 tubes that are under the cap top. If it's easier for your, then just replace the whole maintenance station. As for the magenta ink going back toward the cartridge, seems like the o-ring has gone bad and needs to be replaced. If the dampers have not been replaced for a long time, now would be a good time to replace all of them. This would cost you less than $20 on eBay. And, make sure there is plenty of ink in the magenta cartridge. I once had a yellow cartridge run dry and the printer kept on printing. It was showing 30% full and the tab did not pop out to signal the cartridge was empty. Stuff happens. But, first, having a good, working maintenance station is essential.

Hi RG
Yes I have pumped cleaning fluid through the pump both ways and checked that it is pumping during a cleaning cycle which it does. I know because I have poured a small amount of cleaning fluid into the capping station and watched it flow through the tubes. I know its weird cause I can do a print and all works fine except for majenta. I agree maybe its time for a new maintenance station although I don't think its done enough work yet. I have only changed the capping station twice. Even though its printing ok could the printhead be out of align? It looks ok but I guess anything is possible.

RG

It doesn't sound like the head is out of align. You said that it was printing perfectly before the 2 week shutdown. In my experience, there are only 2 things that can get the head mis-aligned: (1) a head strike, and (2) taking the head completely out and putting it back in incorrectly. Is magenta still missing? Does the pump pull ink through the head when cleaning? With the right-side cover off, you should be able to see ink going through the tubes at the bottom of the pump. Or, put a new pad in the waste ink tray and see how much ink is on it right after a cleaning. Does air flow through the air tube that's under the cap top? Do you have 2 new dampers and new o-rings that you can put on the magenta lines? And, is there plenty of ink in the magenta cartridge?

Daveg123

It doesn't sound like the head is out of align. You said that it was printing perfectly before the 2 week shutdown. In my experience, there are only 2 things that can get the head mis-aligned: (1) a head strike, and (2) taking the head completely out and putting it back in incorrectly. Is magenta still missing? Does the pump pull ink through the head when cleaning? With the right-side cover off, you should be able to see ink going through the tubes at the bottom of the pump. Or, put a new pad in the waste ink tray and see how much ink is on it right after a cleaning. Does air flow through the air tube that's under the cap top? Do you have 2 new dampers and new o-rings that you can put on the magenta lines? And, is there plenty of ink in the magenta cartridge?
Hi RG
I can suck ink through the dampers but when I stop the ink goes back toward the cartridge which is nearly full. Yes I do have new dampers and o rings. No head strike. In cleaning no ink of any color comes out. But if I put cleaning fluid in the capping station I can see it come out of the pump tubes.. that is why I think I need to get a new maintenance station. Any thoughts of what else could be wrong.

RG

When you removed the fixture that holds the cap top, did you disconnect one end of the air tube that is under the cap top and see if you could use a syringe and push air through it? If this air tube is blocked, then the pump won't suction ink. When you fill the cap top with cleaning fluid (when it's mounted on the maintenance station), some fluid can go into this air line. The tubing inside the pump can be partially blocked, not allowing enough suction. Right after I bought my 1204, I did away with the waste ink tray and put a waste ink bottle under the printer. To help keep my pump tubes clean, I use 2 syringes and push cleaning fluid backwards from the bottom of the pump tubes into the cap top. Then I pinch off the bottom of the pump tubes and leave the fluid in there overnight. I do move the carriage to the left and use a piece of paper towl to sop up the excess fluid that's in the cap top. Then move the carriage back to it's home position over the cap top. The next morning I un-pinch the bottom of the pump tubing and run a head cleaning. I do this twice a week. Some people remove the pump and put new tubing in. Lastly, check to see if the print head is parallel to the platen. According to what you said, there is no reason for it not to be parallel. If all this fails, then I'd try the new maintenance station. Hope you get it working.

Daveg123

When you removed the fixture that holds the cap top, did you disconnect one end of the air tube that is under the cap top and see if you could use a syringe and push air through it? If this air tube is blocked, then the pump won't suction ink. When you fill the cap top with cleaning fluid (when it's mounted on the maintenance station), some fluid can go into this air line. The tubing inside the pump can be partially blocked, not allowing enough suction. Right after I bought my 1204, I did away with the waste ink tray and put a waste ink bottle under the printer. To help keep my pump tubes clean, I use 2 syringes and push cleaning fluid backwards from the bottom of the pump tubes into the cap top. Then I pinch off the bottom of the pump tubes and leave the fluid in there overnight. I do move the carriage to the left and use a piece of paper towl to sop up the excess fluid that's in the cap top. Then move the carriage back to it's home position over the cap top. The next morning I un-pinch the bottom of the pump tubing and run a head cleaning. I do this twice a week. Some people remove the pump and put new tubing in. Lastly, check to see if the print head is parallel to the platen. According to what you said, there is no reason for it not to be parallel. If all this fails, then I'd try the new maintenance station. Hope you get it working.
Thank you RG
I have bought some new hose to replace the ones on the capping station and have noted what you said. I might even remove the maintenance station to properly clean out and try it again. If it still doesn't work I will order a new station . Thank you for your help. Regards Dave