• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Aircraft graphics

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Just be careful, some don't follow the rules if they think they can get away with it.

I did tail numbers and logos for their helicopters, ground crew vehicles, offroad trucks, boats, jetskis & drag vehicles for years.
I was shocked and disappointed when I discovered that they had never offered me hookers or vintage planes for my services, unlike some of the others on the 'team'.

JBurton

Signtologist
Just be careful, some don't follow the rules if they think they can get away with it.

I did tail numbers and logos for their helicopters, ground crew vehicles, offroad trucks, boats, jetskis & drag vehicles for years.
I was shocked and disappointed when I discovered that they had never offered me hookers or vintage planes for my services, unlike some of the others on the 'team'.
I guess you fell into the unlicensed mechanics criteria.
Something tells me his cash flow started drying up as drones started eating his profit margins, and as the hookers dried up, the FAA rep found the amount of grease required for both his palms and hookers lacking.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
I guess you fell into the unlicensed mechanics criteria.
Something tells me his cash flow started drying up as drones started eating his profit margins, and as the hookers dried up, the FAA rep found the amount of grease required for both his palms and hookers lacking.
I figured my level of service was worth at least a lap dance or ride on one of their final-destination tuna spotting helos.

I have a customer asking about installing partial wraps on parts of an aircraft. These are aftermarket parts that they manufacture and install on the ends of the wings, called 'winglets'. Right now they paint them, but have been wanting to have them wrapped with a printed design instead and wondering about the safety/durability of printed vinyl. Would it hold up? Bad idea? If anyone has experience with aircraft graphics I'd appreciate any info so I can pass it on to the customer.

View attachment 167510
Years ago I made vinyl for a fleet of helicopters. I made them and they installed them. It is my understanding that vinyl cannot be applied to, or near, leading edges. Winglets are leading edges, I am quite sure.
I would tell them to stick with paint, but that is me. I am terrified of massive bureaucratic entities such as the FAA.

gnubler

Thanks for all the input, much appreciated! As I suspected, this sounds like a major headache that I'm going to pass on. Small order volume not worth the effort.
I'll pass some of this info on to my customer.

They already paint their planes and occasionally order paint mask/stencils from me. I think they were wanting to kick up the winglet appearance a notch with a custom printed design.

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Thanks for all the input, much appreciated! As I suspected, this sounds like a major headache that I'm going to pass on. Small order volume not worth the effort.
I'll pass some of this info on to my customer.

They already paint their planes and occasionally order paint mask/stencils from me. I think they were wanting to kick up the winglet appearance a notch with a custom printed design.
Good call...
There's a big difference in regulations with different classes of planes. Small private low altitude prop planes, even helicopters are less strict, but even with them you want to make sure your butt is covered. When you get into high elevation jet aircraft with pressurized cabins, whether cargo or passenger, private, corporate, or fleet, things get real sticky.