• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

All Computers Running Slow!!!???

Flame

This is boggling my mind. I have 4 comps running.

1. laptop, connected to internet

2. PC connected to internet, it's only function

3. PC, design station. Core 2 Duo, 4GB of Ram... fast. No internet

4. PC, Rip station. 2Gb of Ram, 90% of hard drive emptied, no internet.

This is the 2nd day they have ALL been running stupidly slow. It's like someone came in and swiped the memory from all of the computers.

What gives??? They don't all connect to each other, only 2 are on the internet, hasn't been any power failures, only about 85 outside and 74 inside. Any clue why my computers are so doggone slow???

Flame

Been told XP runs best with no defrag by a techy friend............ true or no?

Maintenance... not much. But all 4........... at ONCE?

Sign_Boy

Been told XP runs best with no defrag by a techy friend............ true or no?

Maintenance... not much. But all 4........... at ONCE?

That I do not know. I defrag mine every so often.
Maybe you are just to fast for them :ROFLMAO:

Do they share files ever?

SignBurst PCs

No Internet, but are they connected via a network? I have seen a single device on a network hammer the other devices to the point that they all slow down.

Flame

2 are connected via a network, but they do not have ANY internet access. The 2 internet computers are not connected in any way.

So basically all on their own...

And no, no weird crud or crazy file sharing going on. No illegal downloads and such, just normal day-to-day stuff.

Conor Knoxx

I'd definitely go with the defrag first - even run it a couple of times.

You might also want to try and nail down what type of "slow" your getting. eg: disk read (defrag / failing hard drive) or processing / CPU & Ram load - which is more of a software based problem.

don't assume they all have the same problem ; ) just 'cause its at the same time.

Yank out network cables to see if that makes any difference (on idividual units)

For CPU/Ram - when its "going slow" - use ctrl+alt+del to get the task manager up, and look at the "performance" tab. How hard is the CPU working? (%100?) how much memory is in use? and how many processess are running?

Hard drive.... can be tricky to really tell if its slow, especially if its slow enough "for concern"... there's some testing programs out there (free) and you can compare to others... but still, its more a "judgement call" - but if you find it abnormally slow OPENING a file, or OPENING a program (especailly big files/programs), then it settles in more to normal after that, its a good sign of Hard drive trouble, since this is when the drive gets accessed the most.

My own experience is that current hard drives fail A LOT! and backups have never been more critical.

Hope this helps!
Conor

SignBurst PCs

2 are connected via a network, but they do not have ANY internet access. The 2 internet computers are not connected in any way.

So basically all on their own...

And no, no weird crud or crazy file sharing going on. No illegal downloads and such, just normal day-to-day stuff.

Do you share a Internet connection between the two computers? If so, I would bet that all of your computers go through the same router or switch, regardless if they have Internet access or not.

If that is the case, one of the network computers, network printer, or other Ethernet attached device could be causing an issue and slowing down all the devices connected. If this is the case, you might be able to narrow it down to a single device.

I would doubt that a defrag is going to be your issue here. If all 4 computers are doing the same thing, there is most likely a connection. Ethernet is usually that connection. It could even be the router and/or switch. You could try doing a power-cycle on your router and/or switch and see if that helps at all.

slappy

dealt with a problem like this last night... call your internet provider and see what your transmission seed is if it's just your internet running slow or not appearing at all... you might not be receiving fast... that's whats wrong with mine. It worked fine till about 10. Any new internet pages i typed in was not showing up or taking forever, i was fine with the others cause i still had the cookies... try a new site that is not in your browser history.... I got a tech guy coming tomorrow.

binki

run spybot search and destroy. u would be suprised.

also, shields up will show inet weaknesses.

zgraphics

Clear your desktop with any files that don't have to be there, photoshop file take up alot of memory... The same thing was happening to me. Good Luck

OldPaint

its really the planatary alignment, that is causing most of the problems. best thing to do is cover computer case with aluminum foil and make a smaller one to put on your head while operating the computer...be suprized how much fast it will run))))))))))

Marlene

we have a computer that used only for accounting and doesn't have internet access. it's been running slow. I clicked the task mgr and the CPU is running at 100%. what are yours running at? I have no idea if that is our problem or how to fix it but it could be part of the problem.

Blazingsun

Do you share a Internet connection between the two computers? If so, I would bet that all of your computers go through the same router or switch, regardless if they have Internet access or not.

If that is the case, one of the network computers, network printer, or other Ethernet attached device could be causing an issue and slowing down all the devices connected. If this is the case, you might be able to narrow it down to a single device.

I would doubt that a defrag is going to be your issue here. If all 4 computers are doing the same thing, there is most likely a connection. Ethernet is usually that connection. It could even be the router and/or switch. You could try doing a power-cycle on your router and/or switch and see if that helps at all.

I would have to agree with Signburst, on this, some where one of your PC is creating unnessasary network traffic, I would shut everything down reset all routers/switches and Power Up one piece of equipment at a time checking its speed.. once you power up a pc and the slowness starts that one is probably the problem machine. than trouble shoot from there.

choucove

I would suggest trying to follow on the path that Signburst suggested. If all the computers are acting slow, and it would be very helpful to find out what "slow" they are acting (opening files, loading programs, starting up Windows, accessing internet pages/loading networked files, printing, etc.) then there is a common source. In this case, it seems like it could be the network router/switch/hub. This could mean that the actual router/switch/hub is causing the slowing, or it could be a single device connected to it that's causing strange traffic or another networking issue.