• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternate OS on a diagnostic machine

Shovelhead

Ubuntu, Linux........
Is any one better than the other to scan and diagnose a
dropped-in Windows HD?....or is it Ford or Chevy?

:thankyou:

SignBurst PCs

They are both Linux... Ubuntu is just a very popular version of Linux.

I personally don't use Linux to troubleshoot, I just boot to a "Bart PE" disk. You can use Google to find a the most recent versions. You just boot from a CD (containing a stripped down version of Windows), similar to booting to a linux CD.

Shovelhead

They are both Linux... Ubuntu is just a very popular version of Linux.

I personally don't use Linux to troubleshoot, I just boot to a "Bart PE" disk. You can use Google to find a the most recent versions. You just boot from a CD (containing a stripped down version of Windows), similar to booting to a linux CD.

I haven't tried Bart yet but am eager to.
Is there any instance where you would pull a HD or is Bart adequate?
For instance....I've recently encountered "Spyguard 2008" on someone's machine....it disabled the registry amongst, other things.
I enabled the registry through "run" but it was still there after registry deletions.
I researched the crap out of this thing and tried everything.........
Malwarebytes was recommended for an easy removal but I was not able
to install it or other software to kill it. If I dropped the HD in another machine could I just scan that slave and get rid of it or is it more difficult?

(didn't see your last post)

SignBurst PCs

I haven't tried Bart yet but am eager to.
Is there any instance where you would pull a HD or is Bart adequate?
For instance....I've recently encountered "Spyguard 2008" on someone's machine....it shut down the registry amongst, other things.
I researched the crap out of this thing and tried everything.........
Malwarebytes was recommended for an easy removal but I was not able
to install it or other software to kill it. If I dropped the HD in another machine could I just scan that slave and get rid of it or is it more difficult?

Every situation is different. Bart PE does boot from the existing hardware, so if the infected computer stinks, then Bart PE may not run well. So in that instance, if I really had to access the HD from outside the original Windows installation (which is not always the case), I may remove the drive and move it to a more capable computer (just to get the job done faster). I would do that with a USB / HD adapter.

jiarby

I also use a Barts PE (w/ Ghost) CD Boot disk... good for ghosting, remote registry editing, and local admin resets. I've always done virus stuff in safe mode.

Do a safe mode boot, Shovel, then run the malewarebytes.

Shovelhead

I also use a Barts PE (w/ Ghost) CD Boot disk... good for ghosting, remote registry editing, and local admin resets. I've always done virus stuff in safe mode.

Do a safe mode boot, Shovel, then run the malewarebytes.

Been there man.
It won't allow an install of anything that could possibly kill Spyguard.
This software is amazing and a pain in the keister.
Please forgive my ignorance. Does Bart build on generic Windows files
or only build of off the resident machine.
i.e....can I build a disk right now on my laptop and boot on Joe Blow's machine??

:signs101::thankyou:

Shovelhead

I'm such a wannabee techie.....I was never aware of a serial/USB
adapter....that blows me away.

:thankyou: all for your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

jiarby

Barts PE loads a runtime version of windows onto a RAMdisk... from there you can launch your attack.

Techman

Personally I do not remove a hard drive. Almost no need to do so.

google ERD commander

You will find this is one of the best emergency recovery disks around. Download it when you find it. M$ bought it and now has it for free download. I use this one released before M$ bought it.
You set your machine to boot from CD. Boot up and you will be running a mini windows. From there you can do your deeds to get your machine running.

Bart PE is missing some parts such as a fully functional System Restore and a tools for checking system file integrity. I have it but would have to hunt it down its buried so deep in the unused pile.

Furthermore. These recent malwares are nasty. You must use a remover. All the 3rd party scanners and anti virii and spybots will not get it. System restore is a waste of time. These later model pukes unlock your restore file write itself there and then relock the restore file. You cannot get that crap out with a restore. They write themselves to other places as well. reboot merely brings it al back as before.

Shovelhead

Personally I do not remove a hard drive. Almost no need to do so.

google ERD commander

You will find this is one of the best emergency recovery disks around. Download it when you find it. M$ bought it and now has it for free download. I use this one released before M$ bought it.
You set your machine to boot from CD. Boot up and you will be running a mini windows. From there you can do your deeds to get your machine running.

Bart PE is missing some parts such as a fully functional System Restore and a tools for checking system file integrity. I have it but would have to hunt it down its buried so deep in the unused pile.

Furthermore. These recent malwares are nasty. You must use a remover. All the 3rd party scanners and anti virii and spybots will not get it. System restore is a waste of time. These later model pukes unlock your restore file write itself there and then relock the restore file. You cannot get that crap out with a restore. They write themselves to other places as well. reboot merely brings it al back as before.

Now on to research how to make a bootable USB also just for kicks.

:signs101::thankyou: