• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternative Plastic for Self Healing Cutting Mats

TrustMoore_TN

Sign & Graphics Business Consultant
We need to buy new cutting mats for our 5x12 and 5x8 production table. The best price I've found so far is from SpeedPress for $242 for the 5x12 (with grid) and $143 (no grid) for the 5x8, but it costs $146 shipping from CA to GA. I found a site that stated that these were 180 gauge polyethylene plastic (~5/32"). I have Sabic researching to see if they can provide it for me, but I wanted to see if anyone else has had luck with an alternative to these. It might be there isn't one, but I knew this would be the best place to start. Thanks in advance for your help.

lgroth

A lot of shops use tempered glass on their tables instead of the cutting mats, next time I need new ones I think I'm trying that on one to see if I like it. We use the mats now, I printed the grids on the tables, can buy the plain ones cheaper than the ones with the grids. Global's price for the 5X12 is $221 without grids/ $270 with.

TimToad

Those aren't the prices I see in my Sign-Mart catalog. The unprinted 5'x12' is listed in my catalog for only $153.99

TrustMoore_TN

Those aren't the prices I see in my Sign-Mart catalog. The unprinted 5'x12' is listed in my catalog for only $153.99

Wow- Sign-Mart has much better pricing. I'm assuming its the same stuff as SpeedPress. $156 for the 5x12 and $107 for the 5x8. Thanks for the info!

d fleming

I have sixteen year old galvanized tops on my interior work tables. Still working great. Nice that magnetic sheeting sticks to it also. These things have taken a serious pounding over the years. Before you say it, x-acto blades are cheap. I've been filling this can a long time, lol.

Attachments

• blade1.jpg
    blade1.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 325
  • blade2.jpg
    blade2.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 238

TXFB.INS

we use 12mm PVC boards, durable and won't dull blades, big downside to glass as we have 2 tables with glass tops dull blades FAST.

on the PVC boards we take a wide head glass scrapper and anytime there are burs, notches, etc. we run across it keep it smooth.
When the scars get bad, flip it over to side B
another plus is the cushion effect, you drop something on the table less likely to break when compared to glass

Andy D

I have sixteen year old galvanized tops on my interior work tables. Still working great. Nice that magnetic sheeting sticks to it also. These things have taken a serious pounding over the years. Before you say it, x-acto blades are cheap. I've been filling this can a long time, lol.

Our tables are similar, but aluminum and I hate them. Anytime we put together banners on the tables it leave black aluminum grit smudges on the back and
you can't a print across the surface, it too rough from the cut marks, it would scrape up the print.

My favorite table worktop is 1/2" mdo board or sintra, painted with a heavy enamel or oil base paint.. Every couple of months, when
they start looking rough, recoat them on a Friday afternoon, It only takes 20- 30 minutes and Monday morning you have a slick, glossy, new table top.....

d fleming

Our tables are similar, but aluminum and I hate them. Anytime we put together banners on the tables it leave black aluminum grit smudges on the back and
you can't a print across the surface, it too rough from the cut marks, it would scrape up the print.

My favorite table worktop is 1/2" mdo board or sintra, painted with a heavy enamel or oil base paint.. Every couple of months, when
they start looking rough, recoat them on a Friday afternoon, It only takes 20- 30 minutes and Monday morning you have a slick, glossy, new table top.....
That would make it a spoil board, lol. Marble saw board has to be re-mortared about once a month for same reason.

sign_noob

I bought my mat from NGlantz. It's a Rhyno self healing mat. Same as SpeedPress Works great! Local shipping was only $5. You might want to check them out.

ams

Speedpress / Rhino mat is the way to go. I use Speedpress, had it for over 5 years and still is great.
My shipping was about $40 for a 5' X 12'

Brink

I guess I'm one of those "lot of shops" that lgroth was talking about as I have a glass top table. I do agree that it kills blades fast.

TrustMoore_TN

I bought my mat from NGlantz. It's a Rhyno self healing mat. Same as SpeedPress Works great! Local shipping was only $5. You might want to check them out.

NGlantz was a little more expensive for the mats (without shipping) than the cheapest price I found at JSI Sign Systems , and I have to wait a couple of weeks to get them on their next shipment from their main warehouse to get $6 shipping, but I'm saving almost $200 overall vs. speedpress. Thanks for the help!

TrustMoore_TN

It would be good to know how thick the different mats are and if the material is comparable.

I had Sabic send me a sample of their 1/4" HDPE that they sell as cutting boards, which they have a textured surface and a smooth surface. It wouldn't work for me as a cutting mat even though its much cheaper. There didn't seem to be any "self healing" properties to it and it left a noticeably raised mark where the cut was. NGlantz has the Rhino brand they are selling me.

player

^ I thought the material was double sided so you could turn it over after a while... Not the Sabic it seems.