• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Another Application Tape Question

neckbone

I know this question has beens asked a million question, but times change and I have a unique question.

I currently use AT60 Clear as my application tape. I have used it for years and love it. I have always used Oracal 651 vinyl with it and had great results.

I have just got my digiat printer a month ago and have been using the same tape for it. It works great so far, but I am using the Rapid Air Release feature vinyl mostly. The tape sticks to the graphics fine, but it doesn't stick to the paper backing well at all. Especially if I have to roll the graphic up for shipping..... the decal wants to release from the liner and cause tunnels or grooves between the graphic and the paper.

I apply long graphics with the BS and the shorter ones by hand. I then squeegee the mess out of it, flip it over and squeegee one the back side also.... and still the same results.

What do you guys do? Thanks

ova

I think the air release has a greater silicone content than regular vinyl. That's why the app tape won't stick too good. I usually staple the corners or where ever I have to so the app tape won't come off.

As far as causing the graphic to tunnel or peel off the backer, it might be clinging stonger to the graphic than the graphic is to the liner.

Do you reverse roll your graphics when rolling them up? If not, might want try this for better results.

Dave

showcase 66

I for one dont like clear tape. It seems to always tunnel when you roll it up and the static with it sucks. I use 4075-rla and never seem to have a problem. I believe there is a version of the clear like the 4075-rla but the vendor here last week mentioned that there was an rtape clear that was being discontinued. The other issue I have had with clear is that it stretches when applying and will curl and tunnel as well. May just be me with that one but I had 3 24" rolls of the AT60 that I threw away a couple months ago.

CentralSigns

Do you roll the mask/vinyl side out or backing side out. Should be masked/vinyl side out like on a roll of fresh vinyl. That's the only thing I can think of that would cause huge tunnels. Lay flat and re-squeegee before applying.

neckbone

CSDD
I'm going to try the paper tape out and see what results I get. When I first started out, the paper was a pain for me to use on small graphics. Is High Tack what is best used for everyday general use?

Dave / CentralSigns
I roll everything with the vinyl/masking to the outside. Sometimes, just as soon as I start rolling, it tunnels instantly. So, that's why I'm thinking it has to be the tape. I always squeegee the crap out of it on both sides. I use the yard sign Squeegee, then I use a hard type squeegee, then I use the roller squeegee! LOL

Thanks for the inputs.

MikePro

for digital prints, i leave a frame of material around my graphic with a negative outline between the two. Mask per usual and it doesn't lift.