• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any alternatives to 3M 94 primer? In a jam and need something ASAP

SignProPlus-Chip

Fresh out of the stuff...Is it available anywhere at retail?

Anything off the shelf that I may be able to use in it's place? Homebrew recipe?

Trying to get a wrap done over the weekend and it just plain requires an adhesion promoter.

Any help would be great, Thanks!

I can't see a single good reason to use super spray 77. That is just a spray adhesive, vs an adhesive promoter. And I would imagine you would see the spray under the wrap. I dunno what you're wrapping, but if you work it in all the channels and no bridging or over stretching, promoter is really not needed. A lot of installers never touch the stuff.

Christian @ 2CT Media

I can't see a single good reason to use super spray 77. That is just a spray adhesive, vs an adhesive promoter. And I would imagine you would see the spray under the wrap. I dunno what you're wrapping, but if you work it in all the channels and no bridging or over stretching, promoter is really not needed. A lot of installers never touch the stuff.

He asked for something that was readily available. 3M Tape Primer is an adhesive also, why else does it dry tacky. Adhesive Promoter is not needed on 90% of wraps, and is typically an excuse for improper methods. Super 77 is invisible if you use it right and works perfectly fine as a substitute to primer when in need.

CSOCSO

I don't hate paint, I just overlay it.
I am doing vehicle wraps for 10 years now. I did around 300 vehicles last year ( not all full wraps) and also a 3M preferred installer.
There is no way I would use the spray 77 on a car unless you do the carpet on the roof.
Don't use pro bond. It does not work as good as primer 94 if you install 3m vinyl
Pro bond works great with avery. ( primer 94 does nothing with avery)
Unfortunately I do not know any alternatives for primer 94

SignProPlus-Chip

Plastic caps tucked in the end of corrugated metal on the side of a bus we are working on require a little extra tack.

SignProPlus-Chip

what products did you end up mixing together?

I mimicked the basic formulation of the Primer 94 found on it's MSDS. Their proportions are a trade secret, but if you have a few of the main components on hand, like xylene for the carrier and an acrylate adhesive as the active bonding agent, you can make a reasonable facsimile that works like a charm.

equippaint

We use Bulldog adhesion promoter on plastic for paint, maybe that would work in a pinch? We heat up the plastic a little too. Auto paint supply places carry it, maybe parts stores or home depot. Super 77 is for arts and crafts.

SignProPlus-Chip

We use Bulldog adhesion promoter on plastic for paint, maybe that would work in a pinch? We heat up the plastic a little too. Auto paint supply places carry it, maybe parts stores or home depot. Super 77 is for arts and crafts.

Tried Bulldog, it's meant for paint and had ZERO effect on getting vinyl to stick better.

SignProPlus-Chip

And to all who wonder, super 77 is an acrylate adhesive. Most likely a basis component or in the family of the the adhesive used for the primer.

Super 77 is not an acrylate adhesive. It contains petroleum distillates and acetone, two things I would keep away from vinyl adhesive. It's more akin to a contact cement than anything acrylate.