• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone laminate Phototex?

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
I've never laminated Phototex before....wondering if anyone has? Does a Phototex decal apply and stay as well with laminate? Customer wants decals they pull off and reapply later, Phototex is good for this, just thinking I want to laminate for extra durability but don't know if lam will be of any use. Probably will use 8518....seems thinner cast will be best. Any input appreciated.

MikePro

***Do not sheet laminate textured materials***
ClearShield Liquid laminate & a paint roller works best for phototex, imho.

eahicks

Ok...I just tested a small piece of 8518 lam on a piece of Phototex. I don't see any issue here....it sticks fine and I can't seem to pull up a corner of the lam. So.....wonder why the consensus of 'no lam'?

eahicks

I understand Phototex has texture....It's not like it's a gritty, bumpy surface. It's pretty smooth. I understand the mindset of it not sticking. I'm also the type who says "I bet I can do it" when others say "you can't". Like I said in a previous reply, I laminated a test piece and I see NO issue. Maybe others have experienced a failure after some time, but as I am looking at it, I see no issue. It actually makes the decal easier to apply, as it is stiffened a bit. Will I go ahead and laminate these decals I am making? I don't know yet. Giving this test piece a few more re-applications and trying to peel the lam off.

eahicks

LOL....so what is the mysterious outcome that I am going to find out IF I do laminate it? Are the laminate police going to show up and arrest me? Is this piece of Phototex going to burst into flames? 2 people have said DON'T DO IT without offering an explanation as to what may happen. I read the entire Phototex website....it does say 'recommended liquid laminate' but nowhere does it say 'DO NOT EVER SHEET LAMINATE OR IMMEDIATE DEATH WILL OCCUR'. I just want to know what BAD will come of doing so.

LOL....so what is the mysterious outcome that I am going to find out IF I do laminate it? Are the laminate police going to show up and arrest me? Is this piece of Phototex going to burst into flames? 2 people have said DON'T DO IT without offering an explanation as to what may happen. I read the entire Phototex website....it does say 'recommended liquid laminate' but nowhere does it say 'DO NOT EVER SHEET LAMINATE OR IMMEDIATE DEATH WILL OCCUR'. I just want to know what BAD will come of doing so.

Stick a piece of lam to your shirt. Does it peel off super easy..... NO does it hold well and make your shirt stiffer yes. That doesn't mean it's going to last. If I leave that shirt out the air, water, dirt is going to get through the cloth and start to mess with my laminate. Probably the same thing that will happen to that photoTEX. After a couple days of sitting I would imagine you would start to see problems. See what it looks like over the weekend.

Billct2

Well they mention liquid laminate or clear coating several times, and you're right they don't say DON"T sheet laminate. so go for it.
Let us know how it lasts. Sounds like a good job for your experiment. I definitely wouldn'ttry it on the job I'm working on, a large wall mural.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Personally, I think you should do it and take the chance. :rock-n-roll: Heck, how will you ever know the REAL truth about it without trying it on your own ??

What can go wrong ?? Nothing, except, possibly, you might have to do it again, but then you'll know for sure. Go for it !!

Photo Tex

So the issue is if you use to thick of a Lam, it will pull the corners, so yes a 1-1.5 cold lam you can get away with it. So I just stay clear of a definite maybe and have everyone liquid laminate it.

PushProductions

We have done it many times for a certain client. We told him the risks and that we cant warrenty it. The first one he did was about 2 years ago and he still comes back for more. They are about 4'x4' prints.