• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Anyone remember being an apprentice

jtinker

Owner
So i saw my first signshop boss downtown the other day and I got to remembering how much i hated working in his shop. Constantly he would ruin my designs and take credit for my work when customers came to proof. And was quite possibly the cheapest human being to have ever lived. The shop would go without basic materials for months because the suppliers went up my a couple pennies. I watched this man throw away a $98,000 contract because he called the guy coming to proof a stupid little kid prettymuch. The guy siad the blue he was using was too dark. Ill give you his exact words "This is the right blue! You dont know what you talking about. I've been doing this for 40 years, since before you was in your daddy balls" end quote. Which was a lie ofcourse, he ran out of the right blue and then used a darker one to save money. A can of 1shot is like 20 bucks man. I couldnt understand. I was his apprentice for 2 years.

Anyone else got any horror stories.

threeputt

S

Anyone else got any horror stories.

No horror stories, but I apprenticed in 1972. The guy running things was pretty good. Portland, Oregon.

Went on to work in some non-union shops, mostly. Struck out on my own in '75. Failed once, now a raging success.

I've been around a long, long time. Seen it all, small lettering on a jewelry store window downtown (with brushes of course), fifteen foot letters on walls ten stories up, rigging my own scaffolding, endless trucks doors with charcoal pounce patterns, (remember those?) etc.

Now things are so, so, different. Sit in an air conditioned building pounding away at a keyboard. Got Google and Signs101 forums for any unknowns or questions. Everyone shares, that's a big difference right there.

jtinker

Owner
dear god, I think my dad was born in 1970. I've only used a pounce pattern once to paint a wooden sign. My old teacher was like 80 so he had them laying about.

TimToad

Sure, I've got a few.

I'm 18 years old, 132 lbs dripping wet and about to start what has been a very interesting 35 year career in signmaking. Second day on the job for Foster & Kleiser, Jan 2nd, 1980, Chicago, IL. a town not exactly known for balmy winter weather.

The first job they send me out on is the J&B (scotch whiskey) wall, which at the time was the Guinness World Book of Records holder for world's largest single outdoor advertisement. 90' h x 200' w. It was redone three times a year and would take a couple two person crews almost a month to complete.

I get a very short, crash course on safety, ropes, swing stages, etc. in the shop the day before and told to dress warm the next day.

We get out to the job site and I'm instructed to go up the freight elevator with all the ropes, wall hooks, etc. with the other helpers and apprentices. I step out onto the roof of this 12 or 13 story industrial warehouse into about 20 degree weather and do my best to watch the others do the rigging and help. I assume they are going to have me just be their gopher and stay on either the roof or the ground all day. Silly me!

My journeyman takes me down the elevator one floor and we walk towards these enormous old fashioned swing out windows. I see the other crews climbing out the windows and just dropping out of sight. I'm still assuming that they aren't going to make to do much on my second freakin' day for safety reasons alone. My journeyman points me to a window and says "Now, just reach out, grab the ropes and once out the window, shimmy down to the scaffold. Oh, and try not to look down too much."

The coping of the building was so long and the bulletin started just below the windows so it would be a 30' shimmy down the ropes if you did it from the roof. This way it was only about 10'. Once on the scaffold, I'm frozen like a statue. I get handed a five gallon bucket full of primer and told to start painting. I'm like freakin' paralyzed. And I'm freezing my *** off. They are all laughing at me and my journeyman is yelling at me about how there is only way off the wall, down. The roller felt like it weighed 50 lbs.

To this day, I can still remember the horrible feeling of the tightness and burning in every muscle in my body as I freed the safety knot holding my end of the scaffold in the stirrup and lowered it hand over hand knowing my little scrawny arms were not going to hold up. I could easily have dumped myself and my journeyman, but I made it. After about an hour or two, I gained some composure and we made it down far enough to swing the stages to the end of the wall where the fire escape was. We tied off, got down and ate our lunches. I swore I wasn't going back up, but I did anyway and at the end of the day, my journeyman told me how proud he was of me. The others just cracked jokes at my expense and laughed it off. He became like a father figure to me and taught me as much as anyone I've worked with in the craft.

I could have quit, nobody would have questioned it, but I stuck with it and have ever since.

These guys had this mano a mano attitude and at first glance, acted like they didn't care if I lived or died. After a few years and gaining their respect for being as tenacious as they were, they accepted me as one of the crew. Now I laugh over some of the hair raising stuff we did on the end of a 1" thick manila rope 100' up in the air. I developed such an enhanced sense of balance that I could walk a 4" x 4" beam 60' across the top of a billboard with no hands.

Another nightmare job early in my career that almost cost me my job.

We were working on a billboard that was situated right over the main parking lot for UPS. At the time, Carlton cigarettes were popular and they had this metallic silver logo and other elements. The silver metallic paint we used was unusually light for some reason compared to regular bulletin enamel and in about a 40 mph windstorm, I accidentally knocked a full gallon of it over off the scaffold from about 80 feet up. It was like a giant airbrush had coated hundreds of cars parked below. At least a dozen cars were permanently damaged and had to have new paint jobs. The corporation's insurance paid for it I'm sure, but I heard about it for months. Stuff happened like that all the time. so it wasn't that big of deal for very long. I was a very valuable asset to the company due to the aging workforce in the pictorial end of the industry, so nobody rode me too hard about it.

CrAkD

No apprentice stories here unfortunately. I've taught myself everything I know so far it hasn't been easy haha. Wish I learned from someone it probably would of come to me easier.

Craig Sjoquist

Some of the things that happen during my early years,

A competitor completely greased my scaffolding on a jobsite, a delay for me but they lost there lease for there shop because customers daughter was working for me that day & they owned the building competitor leased lol

Another competitor for 3 days I was working on this large main pole sign would drive by & shot at me because they wanted the job.

A customer refused to pay me the last $75 owed, so I went up to there window with a gallon of gas & let them see it & my hand out then walked over to his BMW giving a chance to pay me, still nothing so poured it over the car roof, hood & trunk held a lighter in my hand & asked again for payment after a few threats etc from both of us. he realized I was serious & payed me,...I washed his car ..( in real it was colored water )

I went to work for Signs of Orlando ..Gene Tomberlin he told me my 15 years experience was 5 years 3 times over, & yes he was very good he lettered back of a long bed truck with one long line of 2" copy & a logo within with just the top & bottom line marked no measuring etc. & came 1/8 off of center 1st side 1/16 2nd side while I lettered a boat transom.

While working for Ed Dunn & sons in Wichita Ks. doing a billboard with retired Ed Dunn, he place a straight edge up draw the line with no measuring & it was perfectly level.& at the spot for the lettering for the correct size needed.

SignosaurusRex

I started my first apprenticeship 40+ years ago. Back when paint & brush ruled, when vinyl was a a substrate that got screen printed and reflective vinyl was cut by hand with the aid of a pattern. Back when a shop might have 6-8 guys (or more) swinging a brush and you could hear the "tap...tap...tap..." of their Mahl Stick as they painted. When there was "Apprenticeship Classes" offered from the Union. When you paid you dues in cash and time both...all the while, taking a verbal beating, going home in near tears...only to show up again the next day because you needed and wanted to. You wanted to be up there on that wall or in that shop cranking out stuff that people would see and you one day you could be proud of. You needed to be a part of something made you feel different from others...unexplainable. There was something about the smell of paint, the feel of a good brush, the acceptance by the Journeymen and old-timers and the slap on the back from the boss for a job well done. It was in your blood and if you were good...you could make bank. There was (and still is) a real "Romance" about the experience. Time has changed everything and time is bringing some of it back "Full Circle".

JJM7288

I didn't have an "apprenticeship" just employment operating Gorton and New Hermes pantograph machines starting in January 1981. Working for old Bob Ferrell was quite an experience. He was 64 when he purchased the first Dahlgren System 1 engraving machine in Indianapolis. When he automated engraving my duties migrated to the fab shop. Never engraved another sign until buying the place.

visual800

I was hired by Lamar Outdoor Advertising to do the layouts for the billboards. No Experience but pulled it off somehow. They had some cutbacks and asked if I wanted to go part time or help paint billboards, so I helped paint. I was out swinging on billboards on scaffolding hung by 2 ropes. None of that harness crap and other safety stuff. I loved it! This was about 1986-87

I had the bite then, it was on. I realized I was not in the "tie" world I wanted to be out back with the guys painting. After that hopped from shop to shop and was actually a very good employee just would not take any lip or disrespect. finally in 89 broke out on my own. had some paint, an overhead and a jogsaw.

This business has been one hell of a ride and lots of fun and has been great to allow me to do other things in my life. I would do it again

threeputt

I started my first apprenticeship 40+ years ago. Back when paint & brush ruled, when vinyl was a a substrate that got screen printed and reflective vinyl was cut by hand with the aid of a pattern. Back when a shop might have 6-8 guys (or more) swinging a brush and you could hear the "tap...tap...tap..." of their Mahl Stick as they painted. When there was "Apprenticeship Classes" offered from the Union. When you paid you dues in cash and time both...all the while, taking a verbal beating, going home in near tears...only to show up again the next day because you needed and wanted to. You wanted to be up there on that wall or in that shop cranking out stuff that people would see and you one day you could be proud of. You needed to be a part of something made you feel different from others...unexplainable. There was something about the smell of paint, the feel of a good brush, the acceptance by the Journeymen and old-timers and the slap on the back from the boss for a job well done. It was in your blood and if you were good...you could make bank. There was (and still is) a real "Romance" about the experience. Time has changed everything and time is bringing some of it back "Full Circle".

Super nice post! Brought back some memories for me. Thanks.

Billct2

Never really "apprenticed", worked for a local signpainter, he talked me into going to Butera Sign School in '74, did a year there then went back to work for him till I got a full time job as the City Public Works sign-painter....lots of stories from over the years, but mostly worked for & with a great group of folks.

TimToad

Right on brother.