• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Application Tape Roller/Dispenser

masiphx

Hi guys. Still new to this. Saw a 28" roller device on USCutter that can also be used as a basic roll feeder. I don't have any expectation to do very long runs (I'm thinking nothing more than the occasional long text, say 2-5' long tops), and would consider getting it, but reviews say its great til it falls apart months to a year later. Here's a link:
http://www.uscutter.com/APPRoller-Tape-Application-Roller

Does anyone know of a 24-28" roller that is a bit more sturdy than this unit. Just looking to use it for general purposes. Oh also, I'm not super handy, so I'm not sure I want to go the DIY route just yet.

As always, thanks for any advice.

masiphx

Thanks

How has it held up so far? I may dual use it not just for tape, but as a basic vinyl roll feeder for my cutter. I don't do long runs so I don't expect it to be a huge problem, and if it is, I'll use it only for application.

I may get one just because the price is super affordable.

ams

I am in the process of inventing a product that will solve this issue. Soon as I have a prototype, I will post it and see if anyone is interested.

signgirl

How has it held up so far? I may dual use it not just for tape, but as a basic vinyl roll feeder for my cutter. I don't do long runs so I don't expect it to be a huge problem, and if it is, I'll use it only for application.

I may get one just because the price is super affordable.

Its been about 2 years now and for that price it was pennies if it would fail now.

masiphx

ams, please let me know what you come up with. I'm always interested to see whats available.

signgirl, I bought it off ebay, and for 36 dollars, the wheels could fall off after a year and I'd be ok. I'm going to use it for both a basic vinyl roll feeder, and also for applications.

I don't have any long term goals for this machine. I want to make samples with it, and do some light installs. After that, if I take to it, then I'll look at a bigger unit with proper stands and feeders. Being able to cut a sample has already been a great tool for my business.

ams

ams, please let me know what you come up with. I'm always interested to see whats available.

signgirl, I bought it off ebay, and for 36 dollars, the wheels could fall off after a year and I'd be ok. I'm going to use it for both a basic vinyl roll feeder, and also for applications.

I don't have any long term goals for this machine. I want to make samples with it, and do some light installs. After that, if I take to it, then I'll look at a bigger unit with proper stands and feeders. Being able to cut a sample has already been a great tool for my business.

Will do. I have complete 3D renderings already, but if I post them, then of course the whole world will get to it before me.
But it will accept any size roll, squeegee as you lay it down, locked in place so roll doesn't fall off, laminate everything with one person and only one squeegee pass.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Will do. I have complete 3D renderings already, but if I post them, then of course the whole world will get to it before me.
But it will accept any size roll, squeegee as you lay it down, locked in place so roll doesn't fall off, laminate everything with one person and only one squeegee pass.

Mail the drawings to yourself via registered mail and DO NOT open the envelope. That will help verify proof of the origination of your idea. Then if it looks promising, pursue a provisional patent. A provisional patent establishes an early filing date, it "holds" your place in line as you finalize the patent process.

Patents are extremely expensive, so be prepared.

JB

masiphx

may I have a link to said harbor freight rollers? I searched for rollers, roll, casters, no luck.

Also, I found this, for kraft paper:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/p...ontal-kraft-paper-dispenser-24-material-width

about 85 bucks shipped.
  • 24" Horizontal Kraft Paper Dispenser
  • Solid Steel Construction
  • Industrial Model
  • Easy Dispensing of Paper
Item comes un-assembled.

Am I crazy or is this thing looking like a winner? solid steel? Industrial model.

I figure I can tape the blade to keep it from cutting things.

ams

Mail the drawings to yourself via registered mail and DO NOT open the envelope. That will help verify proof of the origination of your idea. Then if it looks promising, pursue a provisional patent. A provisional patent establishes an early filing date, it "holds" your place in line as you finalize the patent process.

Patents are extremely expensive, so be prepared.

JB

I heard about mailing it to yourself. Also I talked to a machine shop that have patents and they said it's $10,000 each. I may avoid patent and just make 100 or so to sell to sign companies to help out the industry and just let someone copy the idea. I often have one guy in the shop who needs help which is why I am trying to build someone to help him out.

netsol

mail it to yourself...

james burke,
the idea of mailing to yourself is like an urban legend, of sorts. you can't prove the envelope was filled and sealed before it was delivered.

d fleming

Not a link but here you go. I got these at harbor freight many moons ago. I have seen them at HD and Lowes as well. Stuck two to a board and viola.

may I have a link to said harbor freight rollers? I searched for rollers, roll, casters, no luck.

Also, I found this, for kraft paper:
http://www.globalindustrial.com/p/p...ontal-kraft-paper-dispenser-24-material-width

about 85 bucks shipped.
  • 24" Horizontal Kraft Paper Dispenser
  • Solid Steel Construction
  • Industrial Model
  • Easy Dispensing of Paper
Item comes un-assembled.

Am I crazy or is this thing looking like a winner? solid steel? Industrial model.

I figure I can tape the blade to keep it from cutting things.

Attachments

• rollers.jpg
    rollers.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 235

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
james burke,
the idea of mailing to yourself is like an urban legend, of sorts. you can't prove the envelope was filled and sealed before it was delivered.

Whatever...then get it notarized before mailing it to yourself. Regardless, the CAD files will contain a "created date".

JB