• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Are Marathon Reflective Banner Materials Eco-Solvent Compatible?

trafficbarriersolutions

TRAFFIC & BARRIER SOLUTIONS, LLC
Hi,
We have a Roland TruVis VG3-540 and it prints Eco-Solvent ink. It prints TR2 inks. We are getting requests from the city to make some roll-up construction signs. They want ones that have the reflective banner vinyl material like Traffic Safety Warehouse has. According to the PDF I found on roll-up sign banner material; it doesn't say if it is eco-solvent friendly or not. The Roland printer we have has a dryer and a heater, so someone did tell me that the dryer and heater cause the reflective to fade if printed on eco-solvent inks. Or in another case, the eco-solvent inks can be used for screen printing if it can do marathon reflective. Can the heater and dryer on my Roland cause the reflective on the marathon reflective to fade? If it does cause it to fade, can it be used as a screen-printing alternative?
roll up sign.jpg

hybriddesign

owner Hybrid Design
I doubt the dryer will affect the reflective material but if it's not solvent compatible the ink will either just bead up on it or else not last very long. Some materials may have to be UV/latex printed. That being said we've never had any issues printing solvent (Roland, mimaki and epson) on any reflectives but generally the material spec should tell you what's compatible or not and if need a protective laminate or not on it.