• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Artwork not aligned when Printed

D-Kal

Hello, Everyone

Finally got everything going after 3 months, am being self taught here along with help from members here. I like to thank everyone especially Fred :U Rock:.

But as always I ran into an issue.

Am importing a AI Vector file into Omega ( Composer 5.0 ) but one of the colors does not stay within the artwork, it appears to be off.
I have attached a picture for reference.

Am wondering am I doing something wrong or missing something that maybe should be done when importing?

Attachments

• IMG_0912.jpg
    IMG_0912.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 128

artofacks1

My edge is pretty accurate but to be safe I add a 1pt and sometimes 2pt outline to the top layer print. That way of its off a bit it still covers the area.
Hello, Everyone

Finally got everything going after 3 months, am being self taught here along with help from members here. I like to thank everyone especially Fred :U Rock:.

But as always I ran into an issue.

Am importing a AI Vector file into Omega ( Composer 5.0 ) but one of the colors does not stay within the artwork, it appears to be off.
I have attached a picture for reference.

Am wondering am I doing something wrong or missing something that maybe should be done when importing?

D-Kal

My edge is pretty accurate but to be safe I add a 1pt and sometimes 2pt outline to the top layer print. That way of its off a bit it still covers the area.

How do I go about doing that?

Can I still do that to a Vector Image I import?

artofacks1

In Omega select your top black shapes. Click on fill to change the color. When you select the foil color there is also a tab for the stroke.
attachment.php

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 3.04.36 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2015-03-07 at 3.04.36 PM.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 145

AF

Read up on trapping to better understand how to preserve the printed appearance of your image.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
The other way to do this is to delete the purple vector that is supposed to touch the black and then set the black vector to overprint. This will print the entire area in purple and then overprint the black on it so no gap is possible. You can get away with it because the black is opaque and will cover the purple without blending with it. With other color combinations, choke and spread is the best solution.

D-Kal

Okay I tried it and it moved the empty space that wasn't being filled to the left side this time.

Am probably still doing something wrong here are the steps I took.

Step # 1 - When the file is opened Black is high lighted blue - I then click on fill
Step # 2 - In Assign Colors ( I click on Stroke )
Step # 3 - On Stroke Type I click on ( Solid )
Step # 4 - On Stroke Attributes I click on ( Points and change it to 1 )
Step # 5 - On Print Attributes ( Over Lap Print ) I choose the second selection.

I have attached pictures of the print this is how it printed when I made the changes.
Along with my settings

Attachments

• IMG_0913.jpg
    IMG_0913.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0914.jpg
    IMG_0914.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0915.jpg
    IMG_0915.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 85

artofacks1

Post your .ai file or omega file.
Okay I tried it and it moved the empty space that wasn't being filled to the left side this time.

Am probably still doing something wrong here are the steps I took.

Step # 1 - When the file is opened Black is high lighted blue - I then click on fill
Step # 2 - In Assign Colors ( I click on Stroke )
Step # 3 - On Stroke Type I click on ( Solid )
Step # 4 - On Stroke Attributes I click on ( Points and change it to 1 )
Step # 5 - On Print Attributes ( Over Lap Print ) I choose the second selection.

I have attached pictures of the print this is how it printed when I made the changes.
Along with my settings

artofacks1

Just emailed you, I made your bottom purple layer have a 2 point stroke of the purple. Your black is set to middle overlay.

Please post the print :)

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Thanks

But nothing has changed :banghead:

Not sure how you can say nothing has changed. At the very least the colors are the opposite of the original image posted. What was purple is black and what was black is purple.

What you need to understand is that the edge has a tolerance of about + or - .02". So when color touches color you must either overprint or you must create a trap to handle the error. This can be done with choke and spread or it can be done with overprinting strokes or, as I suggested in my previous post, a total overprint of the black on the purple.

If you will zip the file you will then be able to upload it and get help from anyone interested.

D-Kal

Not sure how you can say nothing has changed. At the very least the colors are the opposite of the original image posted. What was purple is black and what was black is purple.

If you will zip the file you will then be able to upload it and get help from anyone interested.

Thats cause I fed Purple instead of black then black instead of purple

D-Kal

What you need to understand is that the edge has a tolerance of about + or - .02". So when color touches color you must either overprint or you must create a trap to handle the error. This can be done with choke and spread or it can be done with overprinting strokes or, as I suggested in my previous post, a total overprint of the black on the purple.

This what I don't know how to do, how do I do this.

I can send the file but that won't help me unfortunately, I need to learn how to do it.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member

This what I don't know how to do, how do I do this.

I can send the file but that won't help me unfortunately, I need to learn how to do it.

Overlap and Overprint can be selected for a layer that is on top of an underlying one to eliminate the knockout gap produced by Edge printing at a normal setting. While the knockout of the underlying color is technically perfect, the Edge color to color registration error is about .02" ... therefore you get a gap when you print it. The only difference between the two choices is whether or not the heat is increased. In most cases Overlap works just fine. Anytime the top print color is black it may be set to Overlap/Overprint and it will print a nice solid black. With other color combinations, color shifting is a serious concern. For example, if you overprint a blue on a yellow foil, the result will be green. Thus, you need to choose among your various options design by design to deal with how to handle when spot colors touch other spot colors.

The options available are:

1. Don't correct and hope your customer doesn't notice. :banghead: (Sarcasm intended ... It's an amateur choice.)

2. If printing with spot black as the top color, set it to Overlap or Overprint and there will not be a gap because there will not be a knockout of the underlying color.

attachment.php

attachment.php

3. Set a stroke with overlap turned on of at least .04" or 5 points that is the same color as the top color. Keep in mind that half of the stroke width extends outward thus changing the overall size of the object you are applying the stroke to. This is minor if the object is larger but can become very noticeable with smaller objects. Keep in mind that on other than black top layers, you will get a color shift within the stroke width (an outline or inline) that may or may not be acceptable in the print.

attachment.php

4. Apply a choke and spread to the vectors in question with the foils set in an order that results in the bottom layer changing and moving under the top layer. To apply a choke and spread, select the vectors to be changed and then click on Choke and Spread in the Tools Menu. Set the distance to at least .025" to cover the tolerance error. I use .04" for the distance when available space permits it. Check the result with both preview on and preview off. Keep in mind that on other than black top layers, you will get a color shift within the choke distance (an outline or inline) that may or may not be acceptable in the print.

attachment.php

5. When all else fails to be acceptable, consider printing the job with 4 color process and with the LPI set up to about 90 to reduce graininess. Just as with inkjet printing, there are no knockouts and, therefore, no gaps and no traps are needed. This is because process colors are percentage blended where the colors touch.

Attachments

• Overprinting 1.jpg
    Overprinting 1.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 116
  • Overprinting 2.jpg
    Overprinting 2.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Overprinting 3.jpg
    Overprinting 3.jpg
    283.9 KB · Views: 114
  • Overprinting 4.jpg
    Overprinting 4.jpg
    233.5 KB · Views: 124

D-Kal

Thanks, Fred

Question:

In my case the purple is the issue it leaves a gap. So, In print/Output Order - the color that will be overlapped should be purple?

Meaning, puprle should be the first color in the Print/Output Order?

Correct me if am wrong, I will test everything you wrote at tonight when I get home and post pics...