• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

As an Adobe user, I'm in shock!

signmeup

Another advantage to purchasing Corel Draw is the huge number of great fonts, not to mention how affordable it is. And it has more import filters than just about any other software on the market. However they are small fish compared to the Adobe group. They could buy up Corel in a heartbeat. That's because it's not only the International standard for commercial printing, it's also the standard for in commercial advertising around the world. If, for example, when one of the high dollar commercial ad agency sends a printing job to Japan, Sweeden, or some where in the world, all the color specifications are pulled out from Adobe's color files. There are big dollars at stake. For that reason Adobe has become the Intl. Standard that most printers and agency's use. But don't get me wrong, I'm also a Corel fan. It's a great program. Joe Crumley

Joe,

You should take a peek at Xara. It comes with a lot of fonts also. I have version 6 but they are up to v9 now. Very good software. Useless import export though. (it used to be called Corel Xara)

WildWestDesigns

Joe,

You should take a peek at Xara. It comes with a lot of fonts also. I have version 6 but they are up to v9 now. Very good software. Useless import export though. (it used to be called Corel Xara)

I've actually heard some complaints on the later versions though, especially on the Windows version. I have only used it on Linux, so I don't know what the specific difference is between the two. Maybe all the tools weren't ported over, I dunno.

John Butto

Think the reason a lot of sign people use Corel is because of the Windows OS. When Adobe first put Illustrator out it was only for the Mac. I remember not being able to find cutting software for the Mac until SignPost came out and everything relating to signs was in the Windows OS. If I went to a sign convention all I saw were green screens and nothing for the Mac. Now Caldera RIP out of France does not work on the Windows OS and people have to find a work around if they want to use it since it is a top RIP in the Industry. I have used Adobe products from the beginning and never used Corel because it does not work on my platform. I do have their CorelPainter and it is a nice program for the features it has, but Photoshop, now that is a beast of a program.
Now of course Adobe is for both platforms and people argue that Corel is better than Illustator like a Ford is better than a Chevy, but those Toyotas are taking over in Nascar.

OldPaint

XARA........is what made COREL BETTER!!!!!!
LAST VERSION OF TRUE COREL IS V7. when corel brought out corel 8, it had mad some arrangements with the XARA COMPANY. corel was going to promte it and help them get a foothold in the market. WELLLLLL....what corel did is take the best parts of XARA, injected them into corel 8 and wala, COREL GOT A LOT BETTER. then corel sorta dumped XARA. so all versions of corel from 8 up, are part XARA.
COREL did a number like this with a company called EURO-CUT/CO-CUT back when corel was going to bring out COREL 5. corel leased/sold the code/engine for the cutting/communicating to a plotter to them for version 5 & 6. neither one of those corel version would communicate to a plotter.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Another advantage to purchasing Corel Draw is the huge number of great fonts, not to mention how affordable it is. And it has more import filters than just about any other software on the market. However they are small fish compared to the Adobe group. They could buy up Corel in a heartbeat. That's because it's not only the International standard for commercial printing, it's also the standard for in commercial advertising around the world...

Standard? As pronounced by what authority?

The reason, the ONLY reason, that Adobe products [and Apple as well] see widespread use is that both companies pretty much give their stuff to academia. From these institutions young heads full of mush go forth to make their way thinking that the hardware and software they used in school is, more or less, the only thing there is.

Once upon a time these same heads full of mush went to school to study 'Computer Science', as if there is such a thing. A small language called 'Pascal', created by legendary computeur Niklaus Wirth, was almost universally used as a teaching aid to demonstrate and teach how most any compiler driven computer language operates. These students emerged thinking that Pascal was an actual viable language [which it was anything but] and proceeded to at least attempt to remake the world in the image of the only thing they knew. It was during that time much really pathetic code was generated and inflicted upon the unsuspecting world. One of the most successful commercial operating systems in the history of computing was replaced by an anemic bug-ridden version created with and for Pascal because these young Turks coming out of school didn't know any better. It spelled the death of what was, before Pascal, in incredibly protean and versatile computer system.

royster13

The reason, the ONLY reason, that Adobe products [and Apple as well] see widespread use is that both companies pretty much give their stuff to academia.

When I was in college in 1989 I took a graphics course....We got Corel Draw 1.10 as part of our registration.....I used Corel Draw for years.....Up to Version 8.0 it was my only software....In 1999 I discovered Adobe 8.0, converted and never looked back....But I find it necessary to have both so I have CS6 and X6....Now it may have been that I hated Apple when I 1st used one and bought a 4,000.00 Epson PC....

signmeup

Standard? As pronounced by what authority?

The reason, the ONLY reason, that Adobe products [and Apple as well] see widespread use is that both companies pretty much give their stuff to academia. From these institutions young heads full of mush go forth to make their way thinking that the hardware and software they used in school is, more or less, the only thing there is.

Once upon a time these same heads full of mush went to school to study 'Computer Science', as if there is such a thing. A small language called 'Pascal', created by legendary computeur Niklaus Wirth, was almost universally used as a teaching aid to demonstrate and teach how most any compiler driven computer language operates. These students emerged thinking that Pascal was an actual viable language [which it was anything but] and proceeded to at least attempt to remake the world in the image of the only thing they knew. It was during that time much really pathetic code was generated and inflicted upon the unsuspecting world. One of the most successful commercial operating systems in the history of computing was replaced by an anemic bug-ridden version created with and for Pascal because these young Turks coming out of school didn't know any better. It spelled the death of what was, before Pascal, in incredibly protean and versatile computer system.

A pleasure to read one of your posts as always Bob.

Is that you on the horse in your avatar?

TammieH

We all have our opinions and preferences...

I Started on Corel around 1990...used it for 4 years until I switched jobs and the owner was a Mac man, (and no not the super hero).

There, I used Freehand, hands down the best program ever for drawing, very intuitive and the presets were a breeze to set which saved
tons of time, especially with your fave commands.

We switched to Illustrator and Photoshop, after Adobe bought Freehand and killed it...
I prefer Illy over Corel, I just find Corel a bit clunky, (Corel 13 or something like that which we have here now), but I stay away from
it as much as I can, I just use it to open the previous designer's art when I need to, which is very seldom.

TammieH

When I was in college in 1989 I took a graphics course....We got Corel Draw 1.10 as part of our registration.....I used Corel Draw for years.....Up to Version 8.0 it was my only software....In 1999 I discovered Adobe 8.0, converted and never looked back....But I find it necessary to have both so I have CS6 and X6....Now it may have been that I hated Apple when I 1st used one and bought a 4,000.00 Epson PC....

:thumb:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
I have Corel, I like Corel, and I love books, but the only thing that big fat book is good for is keeping my front door open or throwing it against the wall when the kids raise a ruckus in the other room. At least I can do a search on the .pdf on the electronic files I get. I'm warming up to the cloud idea... but I still would prefer to have a box and disc..