• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

attn: copyright experts

mark galoob

i have recently bought a bunch of original art and several hundred photgraphs of my product for my new company. i own the art and the photos, that has been agreed upon, but my question is do i now need to get that stuff copyrighted by the state or by the feds, or is this material protected. basically i dont want someone going on line and stealing my stuff.

thanks in advance

mark galoob

Techman

its yours.
You can issue a cease and desist if someone steals it.
If you want damages it has to be registered.

nikdoobs

I'm confused.

What kind of art did you buy?
What's your product that has been photographed?
Is this something you are selling?
Why are you worried about someone stealing this stuff?

shoresigns

Technically speaking, art and other intellectual property is copyrighted the moment it is created. If you doodle a sketch on a piece of paper, it's copyrighted now.

So, you don't have to do anything for it to be copyrighted. But, if there's ever a legal battle about it, you would want to have some kind of proof that you own the copyright.

For digital photos, that's easy - just the fact that you have the original source images may be enough proof of ownership, as long as you're not making those files available to anyone. If someone else (the photographer) might have copies of the same files, then you'll also need a document to support that ownership has been transferred to you.

player

For music files I have been advised to put the recordings on a DVD or thumb drive and mail it to myself, and don't open it. Then when you go to court you get the judge to open the registered and dated letter and that proves you created it before the thief used it.

I guess that will work once...

CES020

For music files I have been advised to put the recordings on a DVD or thumb drive and mail it to myself, and don't open it. Then when you go to court you get the judge to open the registered and dated letter and that proves you created it before the thief used it.

That doesn't work. It's not true. I saw it debunked years ago somewhere.

shoresigns

If the thief has low-res JPEGs and you have high-res TIFFs or RAW files, it's pretty clear cut to me. For music, if you have the stems and the thief has an MP3, that's also a no-brainer.

Just don't share the originals.

Pat Whatley

So...all I have to do is mail myself a bunch of empty manilla envelopes that are just closed with the clasp so they get registered and postmarked, then a few years down the road I can can steal artwork, put it in the postmarked envelopes, seal it up and say i did it years ago.

Makin' bank!

AnthonyRalano

So...all I have to do is mail myself a bunch of empty manilla envelopes that are just closed with the clasp so they get registered and postmarked, then a few years down the road I can can steal artwork, put it in the postmarked envelopes, seal it up and say i did it years ago.

Makin' bank!
Great point!

Trip59

That you bought them says to me someone else created them, whether of your product or not. A signed, dated, notarized letter from the creator of the items indicating you are the copyright holder would be beneficial, registering them (federal) would give you standing in a legal dispute. In fact, some cases may not even be heard without a registered copyright filing. Now, the good news is that for a really low cost, you can upload a digital copy of ALL OF IT at once, as much as your bandwidth will allow; you do not have to do them one by one.

Mailing it to yourself will work about as good as a note from mommy telling the nice officer it was ok for you to run 75 in a 20 zone, it's a myth and more likely to get you laughed at by a judge than anything. Last I looked it was like 35 bucks or so and you could upload thousands of items in one go, pretty damn cheap insurance.

Copyright exists the moment something is placed in tangible format, though there are some exceptions (you can't copyright an idea or concept, but you can copyright the drawing or description...) So a painting as soon as the brush hits canvas, music, the second it is recorded on a medium, etc. The person creating it is the copyright owner UNLESS it falls under work for hire, in which case there will typically (or should typically) be documentation/contract/etc. but again, register, hell, upload EVERYTHING you created that will fit in the allotted space/time.

I used to upload all my photos (hobby macro photography) in the same file with code and page layouts where I was listed in the contract as the owner, licensing the right to use to clients that didn't want to pay for ownership. There was room, it assigned to me, why the hell not!

visual800

I don't think it matters what you do but I can assure you IF your stuff is stolen your gonna have to pay legal fees to get it back. Those who break the law and steal have nothing to lose, I didn't say it was right, but really how far would one go to claim ownership

I f you don't want your stuff stolen don't put it on the internet

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
I'm curious as to where all these copyright experts got their law degree.

It must be difficult for you to live in a world where you feel the need to hire a technician to interpret the rules for you.

The fundamental post-Berne convention copyright law is easily understood by even the most addled.

The various stunts described in this thread are just that, stunts. It doesn't require a whole hell of a lot to demonstrate a work's creation date and your proprietary interest in it. I did it with a screen shoot of a file's contents as well as its creation date. That ended the contention right then and there and the court found in my favor.

Trip59

I'm curious as to where all these copyright experts got their law degree.

Dunno about anyone else, but reading the website will provide essentially every bit of info I provided. No law degree, but I've been reading since preschool, so quite a few years now...

http://www.copyright.gov/

Fact sheets, FAQ's, links to the electronic office, etc. It's all there and mostly in plain English.