• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bad Logo Help

RobbyMac

You know the type... I'm guessing shes very specific on that type of tree/leaf being portrayed for whatever reason, when it's likely that most customers will identify it as a pot leaf when it's green in color. Which is why I changed the leaves in the 'quickfix'
As for my 'quickfix'... hands are white because I did a quick powerclip, as an idea for the OP on how to get the existing logo to work on a blue background (instead of reversing everything out)... you know... like the OP asked for?

Is it crap to work with? Yeah. Everyone else pretty much stated the obvious in the first dozen posts.

qmr55

You know the type... I'm guessing shes very specific on that type of tree/leaf being portrayed for whatever reason, when it's likely that most customers will identify it as a pot leaf when it's green in color. Which is why I changed the leaves in the 'quickfix'
As for my 'quickfix'... hands are white because I did a quick powerclip, as an idea for the OP on how to get the existing logo to work on a blue background (instead of reversing everything out)... you know... like the OP asked for?

Is it crap to work with? Yeah. Everyone else pretty much stated the obvious in the first dozen posts.

I wasn't directing that white hands response specifically to you! The hands are white in the first logo and I know you were just trying to make it work with the existing logo. I was only stating the fact that hands are never PURE white. Not meant to be a blow towards you at all, you are actually giving positive advice! I apologize if you took that as me digging you!

RobbyMac

No worries & sorry... Your post immediately followed mine, and I thought you were referring to my quick fix... :covereyes:I knew it wasn't great and all. I thought about shading, reshaping, spending too much time looking for a decent font, etc... then I realized 'I'm not getting paid to redesign the thing. I'd been 'winding down' from the day, looked at the clock and saw it was 6:30 and time for me to head home'... it was just one idea of how to handle the problem.

Dave Drane

Try putting a really heavy white outline around all of it and then closing it up where the hands are. Leaves are always green.

Border

also looks like Japanese pot! I don't think it's different over there. How 'bout a Canadian Maple???
or maybe it just needs some eyes...? -yeah, I'd hire them. "Hey, I'd like one of those "crooked" retaining walls built, can ya handle that???"

Attachments

• s101.jpg
    s101.jpg
    258.8 KB · Views: 102

NSDdesigns

also looks like Japanese pot! I don't think it's different over there. How 'bout a Canadian Maple???
or maybe it just needs some eyes...? -yeah, I'd hire them. "Hey, I'd like one of those "crooked" retaining walls built, can ya handle that???"

HHAHHAHHAHHAH:munchie:

HaroldDesign

If she's in love with just use a font that works and throw the whole thing in an oval shape. If she doesn't like the idea of enclosing it the door opens to convince her that that thing needs changing.

GoodPeopleFlags

From what the OP said, sounds like she wants exactly what she wants. No need to waste time coming up with something better because she probably won't go for it anyway. I say do what she wants and move on. Hitting the "print" button will be painful, though.

vid

Make the logo smaller.

You can explain to the customer that in your learned and expert opinion, having the name (and subsequent phone number) larger on the vehicle will have greater advertising impact and appeal at a distance. :roll eyes:

The logo art would even look better a smidge smaller that the sample I've posted...

Attachments

• 101PersonalTouchLawn.jpg
    101PersonalTouchLawn.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 101

x2chris7x

Been there... Have tried coming up with something "Better," but when the customer thinks they are a designer they what exactly what they've come up with, then you've wasted more of your time coming up with alt. versions that the customer will never approve.

Why don't customers understand that we are professional designers (well some of us), and know what looks best. It's not about whether the customer "likes" it or not... It's about appealling to their target audience, and representing their business in a professional manner.

I don't take my car to the mechanic and tell them exactly what I want fixed, and exactly how I want them to fix it. They fix cars everyday and are professionals at what they do. Your customer does lawn and garden work, not graphic design...

Williams Signs

Not true..I had a customer today send me their vision for a sign in Powerpoint. I sat down with them and explained what they had designed would not translate well to a sign. They then wanted me to use a font they had used for their business cards and brochures. It was a very thin lined font and would not work well for a sign. After explaining all of this to them, they agreed to let me design them a sign they needed and plus I am redesigning their business cards and brochures.

sar bossier

Maybe be more direct, and ask her if she wants every pothead in town to call her looking to score, and every cop in town following her around looking for illegal activity? Maybe then she'd get over the "Japanese Maple" thing? In the US, MOST everyone that sees it, red or green, will think of cannibis.

JTBoh

I sell signage and signage accessories.
when using japanese maples, its about context... draw a full tree, swept in the japanese tradition, and include HD leaves on it. put the text to the right of the right-swept tree, and go from there. It'll look good. Just convince the customer it's the better way to go.

kylebrk

lol.

Tigertron

Japanese maples are red. And are a very beautiful tree. They do look similar to pot in shape but unless they are dying they should have more than 7 leaves.

Suz

Allen, you poor thing! I hate it when I have to hold back comments about how bad something looks. That's bad! The hands and the oval (sorta) shapes around the hands remind me of the Allstate Insurance logo. The Japanese maple I did identify right away, because of the color and I do love those trees and have them in my yard. However, when converted to green, it does say "Pot" to me. Heck, the whole logo has gone to pot! Haha! Anyhow, I do like what RobbyMac did with the plant idea, and he made the whole thing look better overall. But then it does look more like any plant or flower seedling and not so much a Japanese maple (at least to me).