• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Banner over road

daenterpri

I have a company that wants me to print and ship a double sided banner to them that will be going over a road. I believe it's a 36' x 4' banner. Going over a road has me kinda nervous in that if something happens and it falls into the road and causes an accident, who is liable? Of course, I'd be using an 18oz banner, and we would thermal seal the edges and grommet. But it sounds like they'd also like wind slits as well. We've never cut wind slits. Any suggestions on that?

So do I make them sign a waver of liability? And how do I go about cutting wind slits?

Thanks!

Billct2

We do 40"x30' street banners. Made to the clients specs which included webbing & re enforced corners
I have never had a waiver and when I have subbed out the printing/fabrication neither has any vendor required it.
Wind slits are easy, a coffee can and a utility knife.

J Hill Designs

my city has a 'spec sheet' available for over the street banners - sewn in rope, D rings, webbing, etc. is all spelled out. I would look into it.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
The size you are talking, you'll need more than just grommets and 18oz media.

Your four corners should be double if not triple gusseted, 'D' or 'O' rings in the four corners. Nylon webbing in a 1" hem all the way around. Clamps, spring clips or 'C' clips sewn into the top and bottom hems. The banner should clip into a set up...... 2 strung cables completely secured into buildings or some very strong structure on each side of the road/street, approximately 72" from top to bottom. Your clamps top & bottom clip to the cables and the four 'D' rings tie off to the structure holding the cables to prevent slipping left or right. Anything less than this, is a recipe for the good probability of a disaster. If you don't explain to them how to do it correctly, then you'd be at fault for not letting them know ya just can't tie off a banner 4' x 36' and hope for the best. Cripes, that's over 140 sq ft of sail, just waiting to ruin something. Most of ours don't go much over 30" to 36". Remember, you must be at least 14' in the air, if not more in case of sagging to avoid all moving street legal vehicles. This means your banner is gonna be over 20' to the top.

If you tell them how to make the installation and they agree, then you should not be held liable if something goes wrong, but if they say they don't wanna go to all the extra trouble, then you should refuse to make such a large banner.

daenterpri

Apparently this city's spec only requires grommets every 24", which is what we already do. Should I bother doing anything else if they don't ask for it?

How often would you recommend cutting slits?