• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Battery back up

DoubleDiamond

I did the math and our 7 amp xr needed like a 1000va and I added some for the pick up reel, so we bought a 1500va and it will not work. I am trying to use a UPS battery back up. Mostly we need surge protection, but like the stable voltage and it's nice if it actually stays on and printing during a short power outage, but not mandatory. That's too rare to be critical. I charged the unit overnight and then tried to use it and the thing screamed and finally shut off. 750, 850, 1000 and 1500 are easily available and affordable. If we need any larger, please let me know where to buy from.
What has been working for this XR640? Any tips would be appreciated.

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
Specs of the XR-640 say that it can pull up to 1600W during operation.
Sounds like you may be exceeding what your UPS can deliver.
We run our VS-540 from a 2750VA UPS without any issues whatsoever.

netsol

yes, you need more reserve. the ups rating is a bit misleading.
it might handle a 1500 va load for a 20% duty cycle. (3 minutes on, 12 minutes off to cool down)
buy something rated for twice your actual load.
the output voltage gets "spikey" when viewed on an oscilloscope and beats the hell out of your mainboard. an extra $100 spent for a suitable battery backup keeps you from spending $2000 for a mainboard to repair the machine.

just do a search for mainboard in the forums and read the horror stories. this could be the best money you ever spent, protecting your investment.

DoubleDiamond

Thanks for the info. I was afraid of purchasing another and finding it to be too small again. I also see on the machine it sais 12 amps. I determined the 7 amps from the website specs. I see that SignMeUpGraphics is using a 2750va. I need to know if that will work on the XR640 and where do we get a good one. Most I have found go up to 1500. I bought several on amazon. I will look for the larger ones and go for 3000 just to be safe. Any advice?
Thanks

SignMeUpGraphics

Super Active Member
I can see how you were confused, as the Roland site does indeed say that it's rated at 7A, yet the machine itself is labelled 12A. This is a huge difference, and it's unfortunately now obvious that the UPS purchased isn't big enough to run the machine.
This is partially on Roland for providing the wrong spec on their website, however since the "right" value is on the machine itself you likely won't get any luck arguing it with them.
A 2500VA UPS should be able to keep up with the XR-640. I neglected to mention in my previous post that we also have a Canon iPF8100 and a PC running on that same UPS that protects the VS-540.
We avoid have all 3 running during an prolonged outage, but it is capable of running all 3 if really required (only for ~10 mins at full power).

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've posted on this before on here but the VA numbers you see on UPS's is often misleading. When calculating the true load you also need to consider things like the machines PF (power factor). If for example (from the Eaton page linked) you have a 525w machine but its power supply has a PF of .7 then it actually will pull 750w since the power supply is not very efficient. We run multiple enterprise grade Eaton UPS's. Eaton, Emerson, Liebert, APC and a few other all make decent enterprise grade UPS's. Ours are also all 240v which is also a plus since power supplied are also generally more efficient at the higher voltage. Odds are your printer and computers can all accept 240v (or 208, 220 depending on the power you have) just fine.

Eaton has tons and tons of documents and white papers on properly sizing and selecting UPS's. https://powerquality.eaton.com/thoughtleadership/Power-Protection/va-vs-watts.asp

I've also bought refurbished UPS's from this company before Save on UPS Battery Replacement, APC RBC Replacement Battery Cartridges , UPS Battery Kits | RefurbUPS.com - generally very good prices and service. Very very often big corporations and government agencies will do some server upgrades and will replace their UPS's which might have a few years on them but realistically the UPS's could just use a new set of batteries.