• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Before & After on myself.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Avery is the worst to get off, always has been. 3M is a pleasure compared to it.
The problem with the bad Avery was with the actual vinyl was missing some stability chemicals which in turn caused it shrink and crack. I don't believe there was a problem with the adhesive.

SignManiac

Jill, seeing that you did the second layout three years ago, what would you do today if given complete free rein and blank canvas? Would enjoy seeing the progression through today. Your work has definitely improved over the past several years from what I've seen on this site! :)

SignosaurusRex

Jill, seeing that you did the second layout three years ago, what would you do today if given complete free rein and blank canvas? Would enjoy seeing the progression through today. Your work has definitely improved over the past several years from what I've seen on this site! :)

...Oooops! I did not realize that second layout was three years old....You are so far better than that now. Ditto...on seeing a progression through today!

Marlene

To me, the layout is relying too heavily on clipart scrolls for an antique-y feel and I wish he wouldn't have liked it so much. I kinda prefer the old layout, with a tweak or two.

agree with you as there is way too much going on. the shapes within the letters would have been enough and the extra scrolls just clutter things up. I also like the one hammer rather than the two. seems like every guy off the street wants two of something with their name on an arc. at least there's no arc. just for the fun of it since you did this 3 years, what would this look like if you could re-design it and if you were free to set it up the way you'd like to see it?

Jillbeans

If I could re-do it it would be along the lines of this thing.
:smile:
I do appreciate the critique and agree with it.
I don't like the golden yellow that much but these are his colors.

Attachments

• pfeiferdoor.jpg
    pfeiferdoor.jpg
    285.8 KB · Views: 84

Marlene

that looks so much better and using the hammer as an underline and place to put copy really gives it a purpose past just an image.

signmeup

#26 would look great without that True Value logo plastered over it. Would make a nice dimensional sign.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
If I could re-do it it would be along the lines of this thing.
:smile:
I do appreciate the critique and agree with it.
I don't like the golden yellow that much but these are his colors.

that layout I wouldn't do a white border and grey drop shadow on the pfeifer. The text alone should be able to stand apart on that one which it can easily do without something to muddy the colors visually. also I probably wouldn't use yellow ... a gold, orange-ish yellow or copper would probably contrast a little better without being too much 'LOOK AT ME AND STAY LOOKING AT ME'

alright I lied, I probably would do the drop shadow, but in a different way.

Jillbeans

I don't like using the True Value script with a script.
But it has to be on the door.
Someone on another forum said they use a simple tea kettle full of hot water to aid in vinyl removal...I am gonna try that with the other side.

JoySigns

Jill, we got the cheapest wallpaper steamer available at Home Depot, less than $60 a number of years back. Absolutely worth it.

SignManiac

I'd prefer not using a hammer but if forced to, I'd try something along this line. I just grabbed a hammer but I think an illustration done well, it might work. This is just a concept but with some tweaking, I think it could be made to work okay.

Just another direction.

Attachments

• Pfeifer.jpg
    Pfeifer.jpg
    49.5 KB · Views: 90
  • Pfeifer-2.jpg
    Pfeifer-2.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 103
Last edited:

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
I've seen the boiling water trick, and seen people use wallpaper steamers ... for the cost, I just use a 3m stripe off removers ... most work trucks have a good clear coat so you won't damage the paint ... will probably turn that vinyl to goo though so be prepared to use some rapid remover ... can remove something like that in 10-15 minutes no problem.

Jillbeans

Thanks for the suggestion, Bob, I appreciate your taking time to help.
I like the retro look of your HARDWARE
I did have one hammer initially but to him two hammers were better than just one!
hahaha
Tyrant, I have tried the 3M stuff and not liked it. I did use RR for the residue, no prob. It's the damn tiny shredding Avery that's the problem.
My blisters are almost ready to take on the other door.

ova

Heard somewhere, maybe on here, that Easy Off oven cleaner will make the vinyl shrivel up and all you have to do is scrape it off.

It was also stated not to let it sit too long because it will damage the clear coat on the vechicle.

I've been too chicken to try it, so don't have hands on experience doing this. Maybe some who has will chime in.

Dave

qmr55

Easy off will get the job done, but be careful because it will also eat the clear coat right up. Tried it before and I have to say it did make the removal process easier. Although, I usually just use heat and a plastic razor blade. I can't see that taking 2 and a half hours per door, that's nuts! Maybe 15-20 minutes....that shrunken and cracked vinyl sucks, but not that much.

Wanna know what's more fun? Removing the chevrons from the back of an ambulance, the entire thing...in two layers of reflective! Sucks lol

signmeup

I find it interesting that everyone "just knows" they can remove that vinyl in next to no time. Jill's been at this sign/lettering stuff a while. If she says it's hard to remove... it's hard to remove.

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
Oh, I know that stuff is hard to remove ... failed avery is nasty stuff.

oven cleaner is never an option ... last 3 times I saw a truck that someone used an oven cleaner on it ... they etched the paint. bad stuff.

I wish you luck jill. I would just muscle through it with my stripe off wheel to save my fingers some pain.