• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bending poly metal / dibond

Dennis Schaub

I just got the Fletcher V groover in an effort to bend some 3mm thick poly metal to a 90 degree angle. It grooves nicely, but when I go to bend it, the outer aluminum is breaking. Is there a trick to prevent this from happening? I had the same problem when I used the router to do this previously. I must be missing something. Thank You.

neil_se

The groove depth needs to be particular, leave too much of the core and the pressure on the aluminium will cause it to crack, take away too much and there's not enough strength left so it'll crack.

attachment.php

Attachments

• 6264.jpg
    6264.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 2,351

CanuckSigns

we use the same cutter, there are a few things I have found

1. make sure you use good material, most of the house brand ACM has such thin aluminum that it can't be bent without breaking.
2. you can adjust the depth of cut with the v grove bit, I usually adjust it so it cuts 99.9% of the way through the plastic, leaving just a super thin bit remaining, then ONLY BEND IT ONCE!

sfr table hockey

I 2nd the above point. Dibond will bend a few times and not break where as the cheaper brands will snap when you try to bend.

When just used as a flat surface the cheaper brands are fine.

rjssigns

Some time age a Signs101 member posted his custom ground saw blade for grooving DiBond. Nice way to get more use out of your table saw.

tbullo

Superunknown
I agree with the skin thickness issue. I think Compbond makes a sheet called X12(for .012 thick). Dibond is .012 thick or thicker. That ACM that is .008 thick is tricky to bend.

Dennis Schaub

we use the same cutter, there are a few things I have found

1. make sure you use good material, most of the house brand ACM has such thin aluminum that it can't be bent without breaking.
2. you can adjust the depth of cut with the v grove bit, I usually adjust it so it cuts 99.9% of the way through the plastic, leaving just a super thin bit remaining, then ONLY BEND IT ONCE!

Can you specify "good material" please?