• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

best/easiest way to buy fonts

biznitch

I've had a bunch of people ask me to do registration marks for snowmobiles, but they all want a fancy font that I don't have.... what is the best way to buy fonts? are there packages or just buy 1 font at a time?

thanks

weaselboogie

House Industries fonts are pretty sweet too, but I think they're the most expensive too. You must get a gold-guilded box to put them in.

BobM

Signfonts.com is the merchant member on this forum that I buy fonts from. You can buy one, a package or all of them. Good company with great customer service for those of us who sometimes stumble thru downloads and uploads and so forth and so on.

Jillbeans

My dream is to someday get a House Industries or a P22 collection.
For now, I buy individually when I can afford to.
Art & Signfonts has some beauties, as does Sign DNA and Letterhead fonts.
What you can do is build the cost of the font into the individual job, that way you have it to use over again.
But not too much!
Love....Jill

WILLIAMS

I have a bunch of house and fontdiner fonts. I buy as needed and also factor/pad it into a job if I know I need to buy a certain font for it. Usually buy the individually/family.

imagep

We have been in the graphics industry (offset and screen printing) for nearly 20 years, we have only been making signs for a few years, but we have a collection of something like 20,000 fonts, none of them from any of these sources mentioned.

Is there any legitimate reason that we should purchase special fonts for sign makers? I mean like are they better or better for signs or special somehow? I honestly have never looked at any of the collections mentioned. Should I?

Sorry to be so ignorant about the sign industry, but I am learning.

FatCat

imagep, I am in the same boat as you. (15+ years prepress and offset printing background and recently started my own sign business on the side.) If you can get by with what you have, then so be it.

HOWEVER, I feel there is indeed quite a bit of difference between fonts used for signs and fonts used for printing. From my experience, "sign fonts" seem to be designed to have unique shapes and accents that add a little "somthing" to a sign where most regular fonts like Garamond, Helvetica etc. do not. I also think many have been designed to increase readability from a distance which many regular typefaces have not.

Just my .02¢

*I wanted to add that I bought the whole shebang from signfonts and in the projects where I use them always seem to "pop" more than standard typefaces.
http://artandsignstudio.com/fonts.html

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Also keep in mind that the free or cheap fonts look ok small but when you blow them up to a large size you will see where they are poorly digitized. Some have extra unnecessary points that show up as odd "bumps" when you add outlines to them.

BobM

Of course you can always send those bumpy and lumpy ones to The Vector Doctor for a checkup and he gives them some medicine that makes them all straighten out and feel better. And when they feel better, they look better.

Sign fonts always look stand out.

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Of course you can always send those bumpy and lumpy ones to The Vector Doctor for a checkup and he gives them some medicine that makes them all straighten out and feel better. And when they feel better, they look better.

Sign fonts always look stand out.

Yeah, that same medicine that suddenly makes lovely art like this usable. If curious, no I could not trace this one

Attachments

• no.jpg
    no.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 92

Jillbeans

Wow, Vector Doctor, what a pain to trace/attempt to trace.

As for the question about sign-type fonts being superior, I say yes.
The DNA, Signfonts, and LHF are made by sign people.
They have more snap crackle and pop than Rice Krispies.
The kerning in some of them is virtually perfect, too.
Which comes in handy for those who just type and cut or print.
And some of them come with clever alternate characters to even further customise your designs.
Love....Jill

rdm01

www.dafont.com has a lot of good free ones and they are organized very nicely. Some are free only for personal use, or try and buy deals.

Once you start paying for custom created fonts made by font artists, most of
these freebies reveal how ugly they are. Yes, $20-$50+ may seem like an
extravagant amount to spend on a set of letters, but when you realize that it
has not been beat to death, flows well, and kerns nice you realize that you
made a swell investment.

Yeah, that's right, I said swell. :Big Laugh