• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best RIP for HP L360

dypinc

I would look at Colorgate, Fiery XF or Caldera.

I demoed Onyx as well and was not impressed. It was much slower to get anything done and didn't create very good profiles. It struggled with bright saturated colors that other RIPs did a much better job of rendering. It may have been that I did not figure this one out but when I had media loaded and wanted to set up other jobs for other medias it was a fight because it always wanted to load the media in the printer which was not what I wanted.

I also found Caldera to be little lacking in profile creating producing bright saturated colors. But one thing great about Caldera is that you can avoid having to use Windows as a operating system.

When it came to spot colors with Caldera and Onyx I had to read in lab values to get anywhere close to accurate spot colors. This I suspect was because of the poorer profiles they created.

I real accurate color is not that important to the onboard profiling is probably good enough, it just that some media settings will not allow the onboard profiling.

Most RIP maker have a demo you can get to try. That is the best way to figure out which one best suites your needs and the way you want to work.

rjssigns

IMO Onyx is not user friendly. Open this, click that, drop down blah blah blah. Oh you want to print that too...? Well just a few more clicks and you'll be off to the races.:banghead:

It's 2015 things should be getting simpler and faster.

cg2006

Thanks. The biggest values for choosing the best RIP is being able to easily manipulate nesting of jobs, ability to have overlap features to print multiple panels such as a tradeshow booth and ability to replace out a certain color such as a pantone color in a processed file as well as the being user-friendly.

dypinc

Thanks. The biggest values for choosing the best RIP is being able to easily manipulate nesting of jobs, ability to have overlap features to print multiple panels such as a tradeshow booth and ability to replace out a certain color such as a pantone color in a processed file as well as the being user-friendly.

I would take a serious look at Fiery XF then. You can choose a number of different way to nest like best for cutting, best for media saving etc. or just drag prints to where you want it in the nesting. And you can replace any spot colors right in the color tabs. Colorgate is fairly easy to replace colors as well as forcing a color to use the pure un-CM C, M, Y or K of the printer for example.

cg2006

I would take a serious look at Fiery XF then. You can choose a number of different way to nest like best for cutting, best for media saving etc. or just drag prints to where you want it in the nesting. And you can replace any spot colors right in the color tabs. Colorgate is fairly easy to replace colors as well as forcing a color to use the pure un-CM C, M, Y or K of the printer for example.

Is this RIP supported for L360?

Signed Out

Do the HP printers not come with RIP software? Or are you just looking for a better option then what HP offers?

Sorry, Roland guy here, but keeping my eye on the HPs

Bly

Onyx works fine for me.
I think all the functionality just confuses the simple minded.

dypinc

Onyx works fine for me.
I think all the functionality just confuses the simple minded.

Wonder why the Onyx fanboys always have to make rude comments. Get over you inferiority complex. Nobody wants to hear it here.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Do the HP printers not come with RIP software? Or are you just looking for a better option then what HP offers?

No the printer itself has no RIP with it....but your vendor might throw one in as a package deal.

Hp figures if your going for the 360 then you most likely know what you want and need and probably already have the software. They give FlexiBasic with the 310 and 330 but nothing comes with the 360. They might throw something in and then I would double check the price I am getting it at. HP gives the dealers almost no room to work with now so all the little extras and getting an amazing deal at the show is no longer possible. I believe they can sell one demo unit every six months and that is all. Something along those lines.

Bly

I demoed Onyx as well and was not impressed. It was much slower to get anything done and didn't create very good profiles. It struggled with bright saturated colors that other RIPs did a much better job of rendering. It may have been that I did not figure this one out but when I had media loaded and wanted to set up other jobs for other medias it was a fight because it always wanted to load the media in the printer which was not what I wanted.

Funny we don't have any of those issues.

Ah... internet knowalls. Gotta love em.

Tell us again how you bought a sign printer and it's not totally suited to fine art reproductions.

dypinc

Hp figures if your going for the 360 then you most likely know what you want and need and probably already have the software. They give FlexiBasic with the 310 and 330 but nothing comes with the 360. They might throw something in and then I would double check the price I am getting it at. HP gives the dealers almost no room to work with now so all the little extras and getting an amazing deal at the show is no longer possible. I believe they can sell one demo unit every six months and that is all. Something along those lines.

I also noticed that most HP dealers only sell the lower end cheaper RIPS like Grimco for example which only sells Onyx and Flexi. But I do see that Advantage does sell Caldera.

dypinc

Funny we don't have any of those issues.

Ah... internet knowalls. Gotta love em.

Tell us again how you bought a sign printer and it's not totally suited to fine art reproductions.

Talk about internet knowalls, how many RIPs and printers have you run in the last 30 years. If you know anything about all kinds of RIP you would know they all have their good points and bad points depending on what your needs are, instead of getting all Butt-Hurt when someone say something you don't like about your favorite.

Get over it, and find something constructive to say to the OP who is trying to gather information to make an informed choice of RIP.

tomasimattia

Onyx version 12 are coming, wait and see it. I have Onyx 11.1.2 and works fine for me, and i print very accurate color. In the new realise the rumors are it have new interface, but i don't see.

FrankW

One big reason in the past to decide for RIP's was the number of profiles available from the vendor or the media supplier. This reason is obsolete because of the profiles are working with every RIP which have a driver. so the "quality" of the profiler module is not a key feature too.

We have tested and we support the following RIP's with Latex 360 (just my opinion):

FlexiPRINT - for my opinion the best driver for the Latex 360 up to now. Very easy to use. Profile management (deleting, renaming, cloning and so on) and downloading from the profile database for upload in the printer is possible directly from the software. Software synchronizes Media Type AND Media size. Possibility of up to 50 Print Queues with different presets, and presets can be saved on the fly from configured files. Editor with very comfortable possibilities to add cut contours to graphics and pictures. FlexiPRINT HP Premium Edition available for little money for the Latex 360 too, as a HP-Edition of FlexiSIGN-PRO (or a regular FlexiSIGN-PRO) too.

Onyx Postershop/Productionhouse - works fine with the Latex 360. User interface not very intuitive, some things really awkward. Swatchbook-functionality in colour replacement to find matching colors is really cool. Not synchronizing media size. Not cheap. Great functionality for automate contour cutting for example together with Summa OPOS Barcode (assigning contour properties to contur names etc., no need to send the jobs manually).

Ergosoft Posterprint - works fine with the Latex 360. Little bit awkward to switch from media to media because of a separate printer environment needs to be configured for every media.

Caldera - works fine with the Latex 360. Until now no way found to let caldera sync the files from the printer automatically, from my sight everytime when new profiles are created or downloaded to the printer a sync button have to be clicked in easy media. cool tiling tool (second best I've ever seen).

SAi Pixelblaster - currently tested the mac-version only, and just a few tests. A lot of functionality for layouting, serializing and automate prints. Floating licence. Best tiling tool I've ever seen. Currently not certified from HP. Expensive.