• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Best Value for Flatbed Printers

Signvertise

I met with David Cich (VP and partner at CET Color) yesterday. They have done some nice updates to their line that will be announced next week. I love their print spooler. Rip all your files in Production House and actually print from the spooler. Many of the tasks that you would have had to go back to pre-flight and rip again can now be done instantaneously in the spooler without having to re-rip!

On the hardware front - the new machines really fly and have very good quality. It was hard to tell the difference between the output from the Konica Minolta and Spectra heads with the naked eye. I have not done a side-by-side with Oce/Fuji output yet, but I was impressed.

It was nice to be able to spend a half day with one of the partners in the company, who's printer I am considering buying.

Drum

The next big step is NOT a Mutoh Hybrid Flatbed.

Of you're looking for the best bang for your buck TRUE flatbed printer. Check out the CET Color.

Colorado,
I seem to remember a thread where you were going to purchase a FB700. Did something change your mind?

jhanson

What about the "ROLAND LEJ 640" ???

THANKS

The Roland is in the same boat as the Mutoh hybrid, but it uses UV ink instead of "bio" solvent. Head replacement cost is 3-5 times higher than Mutoh since they're still running the old two-channel Epson DX4 heads instead of the newer single-block, 8 channel head.

Both printers are roll hybrid printers, so they use pinch rollers to drive rigid materials through. This makes them completely unsuitable for printing full size 4x8 foot sheets of anything. Head clearance is also limited to about 10mm (about 3/8 inch) material thickness. Head strikes can be an absolute pain in the *** due to the limited clearance and lack of proper vacuum hold-down.

For about $20,000-$30,000 over the price of either the Roland or Mutoh, you can get a true, entry-level UV flatbed. Or you can pick up a used Vutek or other real flatbed for the same price as a new Roland or Mutoh hybrid.

Look, I'm not going to argue if you're dead-set on a hybrid flatbed... I've just seen too many customers get burned by what they thought was a great deal on an amazing product. Those hybrid flatbeds run great... at trade shows. They don't do production as well.

HulkSmash

Colorado,
I seem to remember a thread where you were going to purchase a FB700. Did something change your mind?

Hp is flying us out this month to take a look at one. At this point i'm strongly leaning towards the CET... i've been hearing way too many problems about the FB..

artbot

CET also makes a really nice belt flatbed printer. the printer was really great looking. and do avoid the "pinch roller" flatbed. i have been using a really nice set up with down hill air tables and can run 100lb stock through it (modified jv3 160sp) but still you will never ever ever ever get the over print accuracy or usability that you get from a vacuum belt or dedicated. there's no reason to spend that much money and still not own an actual flatbed. think of double sided printing with your print scraping across the platen, think of crossing your fingers every time you load a tricky substrate. i'm getting rid of mine for a custom built flatbed. after 14 years of perfecting pinch roller flatbed printing, i give up.

Robert Gruner

Hp is flying us out this month to take a look at one. At this point i'm strongly leaning towards the CET... i've been hearing way too many problems about the FB..

If HP flys you to Atlanta Demo facility for hands-on FB500/700 demo, you will be duly impressed. They put on a first class demo.

You note you are leaning toward the CET as you have been hearing way too many problems about the FB...

We sell and service HP FB500/700 and I would be a liar to say we have not encountered our share of service issues. However, I would add that most of the problems we have encountered have been minor and we were able to resolve quite quickly as HP Service and Help Desk have responded very quickly. I would venture to guess you have heard more about FB problems than say CET problems because there are many, many more FB printers in the industry than there are CET printers.

Based on the experience of the majority of my clients, if your intent is to print high voulume cut sheets, the belt feed FB printer is more productive than a flatbed where cut sheets must be placed, printed, removed, and replaced with new blanks before printing again. If most of your printing is 4x8 sheets then a flatbed might be better solution.

Whatever, good printing going forward! :)

bob@nusignsupply.com

parrott

If HP flys you to Atlanta Demo facility for hands-on FB500/700 demo, you will be duly impressed. They put on a first class demo.

You note you are leaning toward the CET as you have been hearing way too many problems about the FB...

We sell and service HP FB500/700 and I would be a liar to say we have not encountered our share of service issues. However, I would add that most of the problems we have encountered have been minor and we were able to resolve quite quickly as HP Service and Help Desk have responded very quickly. I would venture to guess you have heard more about FB problems than say CET problems because there are many, many more FB printers in the industry than there are CET printers.

Based on the experience of the majority of my clients, if your intent is to print high voulume cut sheets, the belt feed FB printer is more productive than a flatbed where cut sheets must be placed, printed, removed, and replaced with new blanks before printing again. If most of your printing is 4x8 sheets then a flatbed might be better solution.

Whatever, good printing going forward! :)

bob@nusignsupply.com

All are very true points. HP puts on one hell of a demo. Our demo operator, Craig (Shultz?), was incredible to watch. The belt on the FB is made for continuos production compared to a true flatbed. I am willing to sacrifice a little bit of quality for faster speed. It all depends on what you are printing/selling.

CWP

Whatever you do... Avoid the Rastek. I have had nothing but problems with my H652. No, it isn't the "best value" per se. We got a good deal on it price wise, but it has been a nightmare in it's operation. Maybe others have had good luck with it, but I would not recommend it.