• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Big HDU sign installed today

signmeup

I installed this sign today. It's about 75 degrees and sunny here today so I thouroughly enjoyed the process. The sign is 96 x 54 not counting the small oval sign at the bottom. The thing weighs about 300 pounds (I'm guessing) so I had the town electric commission lift it up and place it into the holes with their auger truck. I still have to make the 7" ball finials for it and build a flower bed around it but at least it's in the ground.

I'm pleased with how the outline worked to separate the gold leaf from the pale background. The outline is dark brown like the trim on the oval sign.

The posts are 7" square and are hollow. I made them by gluing and screwing 2 x 6 pressure treated lumber into a box section. Then I routed a V groove down all the seams to give it the fluted look. Cheap, durable and good looking.

Attachments

• BerwickSignSm.jpg
    BerwickSignSm.jpg
    216.6 KB · Views: 127

signmeup

oh...and did you think about putting any caps on top of the posts? not that they don't look awesome like that, just a thought....
Yeah... I'm going to turn some ball finials for it out of HDU on my lathe. I can't find any big enough commercially. I wanted to make caps but the town is stuck on ball finials.

signmeup

Thanks Jill. Here's a close up. (the green on red photographs weird)

Attachments

• BerwickSignApples.jpg
    BerwickSignApples.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 88

signmeup

Adrian, how big do your balls need to be? I might have a source for some big balls :) Sorry, couldn't resist!
My balls need to be 6 to 7 inches. The posts are 7" so That was what I was going to turn. Where can I get my hands on a set of balls that big?

petrosgraphics

did you use 1 sheet of foam or did you sandwich a piece of mdo between

2 pieces of foam for added strength..... sign looks great..... i thought signfoam

made 8" balls... they have a base on them that can be cut.....

signmeup

Thanks petros. I made the sign out of three layers of HDU with a steel frame inside.

I need 7" balls. The problem with doing custom stuff is ... you need custom stuff. I glued up the blanks to make the finials... just need to get my lathe out and turn them.

Attachments

• BerwickSign-006sm.jpg
    BerwickSign-006sm.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 112

CES020

Really nice looking sign!

If you don't mind me asking, what paint did you use for the gold?

CES020

I used 24 karat gold leaf for the gold lettering.

Thanks! The lettering looks fantastic. Even in the photo, it doesn't look real. It looks like it's been enhanced in some way. The black outline really gives it a great look.