• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bitmap To Vector Charge

thomas barth

-I have a client who has asked me to convert a bitmap to vector which he intends to use an for embroidered Golf Shirt. I am perplexed about what to charge him. I won't be getting any additional business after the conversion.
What would you charge? I attached the "artwork" I'll have to trace.

Attachments

• Yacht Club.jpg
    Yacht Club.jpg
    49.3 KB · Views: 86

ddarlak

Go Bills!
i know all money is green, but.....

i think i'd have a hard time taking it here.....

that thing is pukin ugly....

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
i would need something larger to work from. You need to weigh the importance of the setup. If you are certain you will never hear from them again, offer to sell them the vector file which they can use forever in the future. If they get work done by someone else, they will go through the same thing again all over and have to pay a setup charge to someone else

thomas barth

-Thanks for the posts. I placed quotation marks around the word Artwork because that's what the client called it. I don't think it qualifies as artwork.
Plus, they want to pack all that into a 4" square on a shirt, single color. I'm not an embroidery expert, but I think that there won't be a single detail visible.
I've never sent a bitmap out to The Vector Doctor. I'll give The Doctor a try.

dhamlett15

In a 4x4 embroidery size there is not gonna be a lot of detail but why not get it digitized for embroidery from the drawing? It does not need to be a vector to digitize for embroidery.

WildWestDesigns

Unless that's going to be a fairly big embroidery, it's going to be hard to get detail on that sucker as it is in the picture.

WildWestDesigns

In a 4x4 embroidery size there is not gonna be a lot of detail but why not get it digitized for embroidery from the drawing? It does not need to be a vector to digitize for embroidery.

No, but it does help with keeping detail if you have a vector design to go from. 100mmx100mm(4x4) which is the standard size that most do(I've got some funky hoops that I can get non-standard sizes) won't show much detail at all. It's going to have to be big and on the back of the shirt for it to keep all the detail.

thomas barth

WildWest brings up a good point. The client is trying to cram ten pounds in a five pound, when in reality simple would be better.

WildWestDesigns

Biggest limitation of embroidery is simply SMALL TEXT=NO GOOD

Keep all text bigger than 1/4" and you should be okay.

That's true. Unlike printing, thread has a physical size to it that can't change. Try to make it too small and it looks like crap.

I did golf shirts for a computer company once that had tried to get someone else to digitize their file from first and it came out like crap. They tried to do it too small, you can't do that.

thomas barth

Doctor,
I got your out of office message reply. It made me wonder what I'm still doing here at the shop! I'll wait for an email. My phone numbers are in the email. Call on the cell with questions any time. Thanks!

thomas barth

Thanks for all your help folks! It's in the Doctor's hands at the moment, and I think for me it's time I stop long enough for dinner. Ten O'clock isn't too late for dinner, is it?!!