• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Black is printing Brown

timkaz227

All of a sudden my Blacks are printing Brown and some colors look like the are missing black. My test print looks normal w/ a few deflections. The Roland test print prints brown. I created my own cmyk color blocks and printed them. They printed brown as well. If I check preserve primary colors it prints OK, but when I go to my clients files and try the same I get the wrong colors. I've tried different profiles and jobs that I've already finished, same result. It was printing fine up to the point where we had the power go out for a few minutes. The Versacamm is on a Battery b/u so it never turned off.

On the images of the "Craft an Adventure" it will print Black if "preserve Primary Colors" is chosen, but this doesn't work for all the files I've tried.

Versacamm SP-540v

Last edited:

myront

CorelDRAW is best
What color is your black?
C0 M0 Y0 K100 = bad
Process Black = bad too
We use either R0 G0 B0 or C45 M45 Y45 K100

Attachments

• rich black.PNG
    rich black.PNG
    16.8 KB · Views: 357

timkaz227

What color is your black?
C0 M0 Y0 K100 = bad
Process Black = bad too
We use either R0 G0 B0 or C45 M45 Y45 K100

That isn't the issue. 100% black should still be black, maybe not the best black. But definitely not brown. It just happened all of a sudden.

myront

CorelDRAW is best
That isn't the issue. 100% black should still be black, maybe not the best black. But definitely not brown. It just happened all of a sudden.

Could be an inkjet firing issue. Some of the jets not firing. Try running a maintenance clean if equiped

timkaz227

Could be an inkjet firing issue. Some of the jets not firing. Try running a maintenance clean if equiped
Nozzle check looks good, black is black on that. When I print a roland color chart "2" the black part of the Roland Logo prints brown but other lines/crop marks print black.

Hey timkaz227,

Generally to improve color accuracy, please change the VersaWorks Color Management setting to help with this issue. To access that option, launch VersaWorks, click on “Edit > Queue A Settings”. In the window that appears, click on the “Quality” button, and look at the Color Management drop down list of options. Click on “Density Control Only” and finally, click the “OK” button to save the change. Print the job again.

Also, be sure the artwork is saved as an RGB color images, not CMYK. If saved as CMYK, the desired colors will not print correctly.

Finally, so long as the printer is 100% functional, you may consider using the Roland spot color "RVW-BK21A". That spot color is guaranteed to print a pure black (only the black nozzles will fire). Consider using the Roland spot color process.

If you're not familiar with any of the processes above and you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

If you do write us, we look forward to helping you and take care,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

shoresigns

Building on Roland Product Support's advice, try changing your default colour management to Sign & Display instead of Pre-press US. That change has given us bolder colours, generally more accurate, and a dark neutral black using K100. Also worth mentioning we use Avery profiles for most of our media.

timkaz227

Hey timkaz227,

Generally to improve color accuracy, please change the VersaWorks Color Management setting to help with this issue. To access that option, launch VersaWorks, click on “Edit > Queue A Settings”. In the window that appears, click on the “Quality” button, and look at the Color Management drop down list of options. Click on “Density Control Only” and finally, click the “OK” button to save the change. Print the job again.

Also, be sure the artwork is saved as an RGB color images, not CMYK. If saved as CMYK, the desired colors will not print correctly.

Finally, so long as the printer is 100% functional, you may consider using the Roland spot color "RVW-BK21A". That spot color is guaranteed to print a pure black (only the black nozzles will fire). Consider using the Roland spot color process.

If you're not familiar with any of the processes above and you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn
Thanks, The first suggestion seems to have taken care of this issue. I just don't understand why this changed all of a sudden. I haven't changed the way I do things.

timkaz227

Hey timkaz227,

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

timkaz227

So, now I'm back to the same. After making the change to "Density Control Only" the job printed fine. I them moved on to the next job that was on the same media and I'm back to the brown where my type should be Black. It was end of day Friday so I gave up.

Monday morning, still no change. I decided to try a job that I print regulatory. I started printing (on a different media) w/ the "Density Control Only" set in the preferences. Initially it looked good, it has gray type that looked fine, but when it got to some green type the color was so far off from what I usually print. I'm assuming the density control has affected that. Tried going back to my normal print settings for this job and my gray type looks brown now.

Fantazia

I think this is a color mixing / capping issue. Check you capping is in good condition and pump sucks ink well.
Looks that your head has mixed colors in black channel. Just have a look...

timkaz227

I think this is a color mixing / capping issue. Check you capping is in good condition and pump sucks ink well.
Looks that your head has mixed colors in black channel. Just have a look...
I'm pretty confident that this is not an issue at the printer. For example: I printed the "color chips" built into Versaworks. I only printed the black ones. All of the swatches printed fine, but there is a Roland logo (Blue & Dark Gray) next to every color chip, the dark gray portion of the logo prints brown instead of gray.

I'm pretty confident that this is not an issue at the printer. For example: I printed the "color chips" built into Versaworks. I only printed the black ones. All of the swatches printed fine, but there is a Roland logo (Blue & Dark Gray) next to every color chip, the dark gray portion of the logo prints brown instead of gray.

Hey timkaz227,

Based on this details you've provided, we agree with Fantazia that the problem is likely hardware issue and it's time to involve your authorized Roland dealer in the troubleshooting/repair process. We hope we're wrong and the problem is just with the software. If that's true, re-installation of VersaWorks may help (worth a try).

As offered previously, if you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn

timkaz227

Hey timkaz227,

Based on this details you've provided, we agree with Fantazia that the problem is likely hardware issue and it's time to involve your authorized Roland dealer in the troubleshooting/repair process. We hope we're wrong and the problem is just with the software. If that's true, re-installation of VersaWorks may help (worth a try).

As offered previously, if you have additional questions or need extra support directly from Roland corporate support, please submit an "official" support request form online here: Product Support Form | Roland

Roland Technical Support
Roland DGA Corp.
rn
Thanks for the reply. I have been working w/ an authorized Roland Dealer over the phone who has been talking w/ Roland Support. No one is sure where to go from here. The PEC report didn't show anything wrong either.

As far as submitting an "official" support request goes. I submitted one a week ago Friday and have not heard back from anyone.

Thanks for the reply. I have been working w/ an authorized Roland Dealer over the phone who has been talking w/ Roland Support. No one is sure where to go from here. The PEC report didn't show anything wrong either.

As far as submitting an "official" support request goes. I submitted one a week ago Friday and have not heard back from anyone.

Hey timkaz227,

You not being contacted is quite strange and our apologies for that. Provide us your email address and we'll communicate with your directly (we need to start a support ticket for all troubleshooting request and we'll get your registration info via email).

If you don't want to post your direct email here (which we can understand), just call us and discuss the issue with any tech that answers the line. Call 800-542-2307.

Take care,
rn

repogolfer

TimkaZ,

I just read your post from the past about the black ink printing brown. Can you share what the fix was? Did the tech come out and do you know what he needed to replace. I am having the exact same issue with my machine and I know my tech will want to order parts.

Any help is appreciated.

Jon