• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Bleed for Edge printing

Tim Aucoin

I'm putting this in the Adobe section because the attached logo was created in Illustrator, but my question is about getting it ready to print on the Edge.

The issue I'm having is how to get a proper bleed for Edge printing. The letter "M" is not actually a font... it was created by the merging of the 3 main shapes in the circle to form the "M". Customer wants bleed with the "M" coming out of the circle... make any sense? I'm having issues figuring out the proper way to get a bleed on this to cut the circle out and maintain the look.

Any ideas? :frustrated:
Thanks! :Big Laugh

Attachments

• Market Mall Label.jpg
    Market Mall Label.jpg
    570.1 KB · Views: 81

mikey-Oh

If i understand correct, create your cut line based on what you want to have made. then add an 1/8th in offset path with the same color as the fill. it'll look a little weird at first, but once cut it'll show just the shape in the circle

Tim Aucoin

prob have to redraw w/full font outline...times new roman bold?

Yeah, I've tried that! It's close, but not exact, and this is an established Mall logo that can't change in the slightest! I'm thinking I will have to start with a font (like Times new roman bold) and customize it to fit the logo and go from there... Appreciate the feedback!!

Tim Aucoin

If i understand correct, create your cut line based on what you want to have made. then add an 1/8th in offset path with the same color as the fill. it'll look a little weird at first, but once cut it'll show just the shape in the circle

Only problem is the offset path will fill in on all 4 paths including the inside of the "M" shape... Thanks for the idea though!

Tim Aucoin

Hey Tim, I can't open the attachment...Is the whole M in the file or just what is inside the circle? If it is complete, could you put a thin outline on it and delete everything you dont need, then weld it with what you do need?

Hope that makes sense...!

Hey Pat. It's just what's inside the circle. The 4 vector shapes that make up the circle actually form the "M" shape. I think I'll have to create the "M" letter to make this work properly! Thanks for the feedback!

mikey-Oh

if all the objects are shapes in illustrator, you might try divide function under the pathfinder in illi

Tim Aucoin

Okay... based on all your reply's, this is what I've come up with. Wasn't too hard to do at all... just took a little patience. Red line represents cut. I'll run a few and see how they look. I can't believe some of the underlying power of the Adobe products that just lays in wait to be used!!

I do appreciate everyone's input... it really helps inspire me to try new things. :notworthy:

Attachments

• Market Mall Logo1.jpg
    Market Mall Logo1.jpg
    599.5 KB · Views: 60

jc1cell

You will have to do some minor editing on the nodes where there should be no bleed on the letter. See if this works for you.

jc

Attachments

• Market Mall Label-1.pdf
    533.1 KB · Views: 113

Tim Aucoin

Hopefully this works.....! :thumb:

There a couple of different shapes in there...

You're quick Pat! It's just got to cut as a circle. Main issue was getting bleed on the outside of the 4 shapes only while maintaining the integrity of the "M" shape on the inside. Huge part of the problem was no outline on the letter. I've always been nervous about working with nodes and points to manipulate fonts, but once I tried, it was quite easy to my surprise! Sometimes little projects like this just need that light bulb to go on, and you guys helped me with that big time!!! I run into issues like this weekly, and I don't think I'll shy away from them so much any more.

It's simply amazing how quickly you guys step up to help. I can't thank you enough! :notworthy:

Tim Aucoin

WOW! I post a reply and two more files come in... you guys all rock! :rock-n-roll:
I'm gonna have a look at every one and see which is easiest to work with to get this done! Gotta run 5,000 of these things, so it's gotta be right!

WhiskeyDreamer

Professional Snow Ninja
WOW! I post a reply and two more files come in... you guys all rock! :rock-n-roll:
I'm gonna have a look at every one and see which is easiest to work with to get this done! Gotta run 5,000 of these things, so it's gotta be right!

in my file, put a clear fill on the "M" shape, fill the outside circle to the gold medal foil, and cut only on the inside circle.....i can send you a PLT if you use composer...just let me know what version...i'm running 3.0

Tim Aucoin

in my file, put a clear fill on the "M" shape, fill the outside circle to the gold medal foil, and cut only on the inside circle.....i can send you a PLT if you use composer...just let me know what version...i'm running 3.0

I'm running version 4.something of Composer. I'll try importing your PDF file and see what I can do with it. I need the practice in Composer anyway!!!
Thank you so much!