• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

BN-20 Ink Configuration ink Cleaning Question

MakeMyGraphic

Ok I'm not sure I worded the title correctly, but right now I have a couple of full color plotters, one of which I got as a used plotter which is the BN-20

The original owner had it configured to CMMYK -__- boo.... but since I recently had to go thru a new set of inks (except the Magenta which still has 60%) I was wondering...

since the Magenta in slot 1 says it is 60% full and the Magenta in slot 2 says 100% what on earth does that mean?? I can't imagine that the machine is not cycling ink because I can see from the color of the tubes that it does have magenta, but why is it that the BN-20 utility still says that cart 2 is 100% full? I haven't been using the plotter that much (maybe once or three times a day for small jobs) and I've had it now for about 6 months (the machine is a little over a year old now)

When will the machine revert to using the extra magenta cartridge? And are there sensors on the slots that read the chip and tell it what it has installed in it? Because I've been considering *under my own risk* to run a lot of cleaner thru the 2nd slot to try and see if I can convert it to a CMYKWh I understand that my prints might not be perfectly white, but for the small jobs I do in my small community most of my customers don't care and the ones that DO care I can outsource to one of the friendly companies that allowed me to broker thru them. I noticed that this machine also came with some DUMMY cartridges (the foam ones) so I was also considering (again under my own risk) in removing the inks from the slots, inserting the dummy carts and running the cleaner thru the extra magenta slot until it looks like it's running a little clearer. I understand again that I will be wasting quite a bit of ink and that I might go thru a waste bin or two and that maybe my machine might gulp up some air with the dummy carts but I really REALLY wanted the WHITE feature of the printer -__- such a shame the previous owner had it set up THIS way.

Aaaand at the time I was so excited to find a used BN-20 that I decided to just deal with the Ink Configuration but I really wanted the CMYKWh :\

any tips? Other than that I really like the printer... just been missing out on the White... not really too fond printing white with my PC-600s since my original goal was to get rid of my PC-600

MakeMyGraphic

Hmm.... are people really that scared to tell me how the ink cleaning solution works in a machine so I can make my own moves (learning experience) :\ Roland doesn't seem to have a buyback program for the BN-20 right now so I have to do what I have to do to see if I can even get this to work.... there's no documentation online or anywhere about doing this type of thing to any machine. I don't mind if my whites are still slightly tinged with magenta.

MakeMyGraphic

ok people... for all you frady cats out there I got my own answer from Roland today :)

let me explain things as I could best understand it.

when you have a BN-20 you request what ink setup you want, they configure your printer to that particular setup. Well I bought mine USED with CMMYK and apparently when you have a printer set up any OTHER way then there is NO WAY to change the configuration after it's already been done...

since I have mine set up CMMYK and want to convert to CMYKWh I CAN do it, buuut I have to go thru an authorized Roland dealer who will send out a technician with the APP that will let my BN-20 that it is no longer CMMYK but that it is now printing with WHITE

hope someone can understand my giberish... since these printers are fairly new I am sure not too many people who have them have done any conversions yet, I might be one of the first people to do it haha I will keep you guys postes... my next step is finding an affordable dealer with technician in the San Diego area.

1. Find a dealer
2. Get their technician to come by and help me convert it using the APP
3. once converted I should be able to print white just fine.

I have 1 whole new cartridge of cleaning solution that I am sure will be necessary for this conversion :) wish me luck.

MakeMyGraphic

I understand that :) but my original question was about ink flushing and I would think it would be done by other printers too... but I found my answer and just felt like posting it here for the benefit of any future people with my freak predicaments lol

I seem to have the few machines everyone either despises or avoids :p

I have a certified Roland service tech coming over tomorrow early morning to help convert my machine over to white. I am soo excited!

wynpotter

Looking forward to hearing about how the conversion goes. I have been wondering which setup (with or without white) is the most practical.
Since I'm still learning what works with what, any info on things like this are welcomed.
Wyndham

Cyw

From what I understand, (as you already found out) it's not simply a matter of flushing the cartridges. The firmware has to also be configured for white.

I've heard of plenty of folks who want to change from the white configuration back to CMYK only....but you're right, I doubt there are many people who actually want to add the white option

Good luck with your choice

Welder.man

We bought our BN20 with the metallic ink option and I never really use it and it is very slow, after we bought it Roland brought out the white ink option, So I called Roland here in Australia and was told I could have it converted to white but I would have to change anything that had had the metallic ink on it.

I thought If I have to replace the print head I might have it done then.

MakeMyGraphic

Hi Welder.man sooo the conversion was done today, but thanks to my slow arse computer I haven't gotten to use the machine yet and I am frankly confused by some details in the BN-20 utility. I'm not sure if I noticed it before but it's market MT MG CY YE BK (and waste) and I noticed all the bars remained the same color but in Versaworks it looks like it recognizes the printer as white. I gotta learn how to send a white spot color first since I haven't used it yet...

I talked to a roland tech last year regarding conversions and I pointed out that I am not afraid at all of having a tinge of color in my prints while the machine was converted. Not sure about the metalic option but I heard you can't change from white to silver or silve to white or white or silver to MG after the conversion, magenta to white OR silver was the only conversion possible as far as I know. I will keep you guys posted!

MakeMyGraphic

I have yet to learn how to print white as spot color with this machine but everything is looking good so far LOL will let you guys know as soon as i figure out what the bleep I am doing now :)