• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help BN20 clicking noise

PhilthyTurtle

My bn-20 suddenly started making this clicking noise. It seems to originate from the right side of the belt area near the gears. Does anyone happen to know what might be causing this?

Here is a video of the sound. It is most prominent when moving quickly.

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
I had a similar sound happen on my VS-300i, at first I thought it might be the rail, however, it turned out that my scan motor was going, once replaced, the sound went away. Can't guarantee that's the exact problem, but it could be, another potential could be the bearings in the carriage connector on the rail could be bad, however, that is a rare case. I'd start with the motor, by disconnecting it and moving the carriage from side to side by hand and see if the noise goes away, if it does, then most likely the motor needs replacing.

PhilthyTurtle

I had a similar sound happen on my VS-300i, at first I thought it might be the rail, however, it turned out that my scan motor was going, once replaced, the sound went away. Can't guarantee that's the exact problem, but it could be, another potential could be the bearings in the carriage connector on the rail could be bad, however, that is a rare case. I'd start with the motor, by disconnecting it and moving the carriage from side to side by hand and see if the noise goes away, if it does, then most likely the motor needs replacing.
I'm just really surprised since this unit is barely hitting 6 months old

Zoogee World

Domed Promotional Product Supplier
As I cannot see the whole process or the entire carriage while it's clicking, I can't see if it's hitting anything, but it sounds exactly like the issue I had. Could be a faulty piece. However, if the unit is only 6 months old, it should be under warranty and you should be able to get a tach out to fix it.

PhilthyTurtle

Wow, I went to print some vinly today and the sound just completely stopped and i don't hear it anymore. Still called Roland since it is under warranty still. Hoping to figure it out soon. I'm glad i recorded it. Thank you everyone!

dweavers

definately half a dozen tiny drops of oil on the teeth of the belt either side of the head at regular intervals has fixed my problem, clean the teeth of the belt with a paint brush as mine had dark dirt spots that coinsided with the noise as it reached the gear wheel at the end