• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Boat Wrap Problems

GraphixGuys

I am having boat wraps problems and need any advise to fix. We have wrapped many vehicles and we have wrapped some boats in the past but I having issues with the most recent wrap. We have used 3m ij 180 C in the past on ski boats but on this new wrap we used Oracal 3951 without the RA with the 290 Lam as recommended by the supplier. This was on a bass boat ( our 1st bass boat) for a guy going pro. In his first Tourney he was in some rough water and the wrap got ripped apart by inpact tears and debri. It also looked liked in the curve of the boat the material was pulling away from the boat. The Curve was not to extreme and I did not even need to heat the vinyl to get it to lay down in the curve. I am needing to know how I can remedy this so the wrap will hold up for at least a few tourneys. What media is other bass boat wrappers using?

Any advise would help
Thanks
Michael

Sticky Signs

You could use a primer in the curves and areas that put a lot of stress on the vinyl.
Not much you can do to prevent impact tears and debri though.

amw

Longtime Members
You could use a primer in the curves and areas that put a lot of stress on the vinyl.
Not much you can do to prevent impact tears and debri though.
I dont think oracal sugests primer for thier wrap vinyl.
(think they say you shouldnt use it with it, but i dont remember why)

I could be wrong though! Would not be the first time.

Marsha

Circleville Signs

Speed boats/bass boats are like dirt bikes. If someone is wanting something that is going to last for a while, then you gotta go old school and paint it. Impact/Debris is going to cause tears, no matter WHAT you do.

The tenting/pulling you are talking about is a function of not using any heat or primer. I don't care what Oracal says - prime those areas, and then once the vinyl is down, whether you had to heat it to get it there or not, heat the crap out of it to make sure it activates.

HulkSmash

Speed boats/bass boats are like dirt bikes. If someone is wanting something that is going to last for a while, then you gotta go old school and paint it. Impact/Debris is going to cause tears, no matter WHAT you do.

The tenting/pulling you are talking about is a function of not using any heat or primer. I don't care what Oracal says - prime those areas, and then once the vinyl is down, whether you had to heat it to get it there or not, heat the crap out of it to make sure it activates.

noooooooooooooo.

don't use 3m primer on oracle. It eats away the adhesive on the vinyl.

SignManiac

Much like trying to wrap a space shuttle. Pretty sure that on reentry, the vinyl will burn off when entering the atmosphere. Some canvas' just won't stand up to unrealistic abuse.

GraphixGuys

I did not use any primer in that area, but I did post heat the area really well. I really did not think I needed to use primer as the curve was not mush of a stretch for the vinyl. We let the vinyl sit overnight in a bay that got below 40 degrees, and when we checked the vinyl the next day the vinyl did not seem to pull up at all. From what I know the vinyl never pulled up until after it was in the water. I was wondering if it was the freezing water or vinyl or a mix of both that made that area fail? I also was wondering if I should use the IJ 180 C (even though some people don't recommend the air channel vinyls) to make it easier on myself and for the fact that I have used it in the past on ski boats and have no issues with it?
Thanks for all the quick replies!
Michael