• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Broke jv3 manifold

diarmuidrobson

Hi all..

Ran into a problem tonight when my black head wouldn't print. Tried strong cleans and head soaks. Brought it back a little but not great....

Anyways i was flushing the black head at the manifold with cleaning solution and ended up breaking the magenta manifold connector..

Not sure what to do at this point so i pulled all the heads out and flushed them each out with cleaning solution until no ink was flowing..

Was this correct to do this as the printer will be down for a few days till parts arrive or is there something else i should be doing like soaking the tip of the heads in solution..

Nightmare this printing game.. :-(

Any tips appreciated

artbot

if you have an old head laying around, just pull the manifold off that one and stick it on the head (make sure to flush it out, or even ultrasonic it). if no extra parts, you need that printer to be in a continuous cap soak until the part arrives. if running cmyklmlc you may get some cross contamination in the dampers but that will go away.

keep those heads wet!

diarmuidrobson

Hi,

Heads are removed from printer. How would you say would be the best way to keep them soaked?. I have flushed them out with cleaning solution, is this not enough?.

MikePro

Just 2 screws, quick swap, aside from the removal/reinstall of the printhead itself.
the plastic manifold is completely removeable/swappable from the silicone chip'd "print head" portion. take one off an old head or buy one off ebay for $40 and you'll be ok.

diarmuidrobson

Just thinking....Dangerous that!

Could i push cleaning solution into the the heads at manifold and cap or clamp that end and keep the heads sitting in solution. Would this have the same effect?

diarmuidrobson

Hi Mike,

Don't have any spares laying about and parts should fingers crossed be here tuesday.

But heads are removed from printer with the magenta manifold broken.

Would my post above work you think?

MikePro

should work, if you can manage to push cleaning solution into the head with a broken manifold and still manage to not drop onto the circuit board/ribboncable ports of the printhead.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I,ve used the bottom of a glass butter dish. Just the right depth and width for the head to sit on it with the nozzles in flush.

diarmuidrobson

Ending up cutting the bottom off a thinners tin. Empty and cleaned of course.

Any you guys have any documentation/walkthrough on how to setup slant and alignment.. Suppose i going to have to be doing this since i removed the heads..

That butter glass sounds about right for that alright!

All the help much appreciated!

artbot

i have a cupcake pan that has solution in it with a couple of old heads sunk (platen only) in butyl carbitol.

tbaker

don't get the electronics wet with anything. you can remove the manifold from any old head, just clean it well. When you remove the manifold there's a rubber gasket underneath, you'll need it as well, or you can reuse the one on the head. The manifold is only held in place by 2 screws, but in order to remove it, you need to remove the aluminum base plate of the head ( again held in place by 2 screws).

before removing the bottom plate, take a picture of it ( looking at the print screen on the bottom) the plate and head line up in a particular fashion ( I believe it's to the right, but it's been a bit) this will help you reinstall and rough in calibrations easier.

When reinstalling everything, take your time, remember, pull your dampers off straight up, don't wiggle, don't twist, just pull straight up.

Seat your ribbon cables firmly in place, if any metal pins are bent or turned, buy new ones, you can arc out your head very easily.

Check all cable connections 3x before powering up your printer. Trust me, it's important.
Check, double check, and verify

diarmuidrobson

Is it critical i need a 50x loupe for alignment or would i get away with a 20x or 30x.

Would something like this do the job?

http://www.amazon.com/Maxi-Aids-UltraOptix-Linen-Tester-Loupe-Magnifier/dp/B00076NVLM

Hard to find a 50x.

Also... Printer going to be down for a few days.. Whats the best thing to do about the feed lines. should i cap them and draw a little out each day to keep a bit of a flow.

Was thinking of flushing the lines before i install the heads. Whats the best way going about this...

Regards...

tbaker

That loupe will be fine, you won't need to get that tight into the dot to see it.

As for a couple days, shouldn't be an issue, it's a closed system, do a nozzle wash, fill the cap station with cleaning solution, then power off the unit in the back, that will keep the heads nice and wet. Check it daily to make sure you still have solution in the cap station, if not, then you have a leaky pump, and will want to think about replacing that as well.

Hope this helps

artbot

the dampers can hang with ink in them for weeks, just dab some solution in the ends before replacing (i have my dampers hanging like this for years. no issues.). one saftey measure if you think you may have gotten solvent in the guts of the head. dunk the whole head in iso', swish it around, then sling it dry a few times and sit it out on a paper towel for 24 hours to dry. the iso will bind with the glycol ethers in the solution and or ink and accelerate their drying properties. otherwise you could rehook the head and get and immediate error07.

diarmuidrobson

Hi tbaker,

The system at the moment is open as i have the heads removed and sitting in solution. Had to do this as i broke the magenta manifold nipple and could not park the heads back into position. Would you advise to pipe it off or you think it would be ok sitting open for a few days.. Maybe draw some ink with a syringe to keep if fresh in the pipework?

Artbot,

is it ok to take the heads out of the solution and let it dry out. I was thinking about leaving them in there till the parts arrive. Is there any issues leaving them soaking for too long?

What you guys think the chances are of me regaining blocked nozzles after flushing the heads with a syringe and soaking for a few days.

artbot

keep then platens soaking. you can lightly inject some solution into the manifold. for the broken one, just use a small hypodermic needle and without sealing the manifold, stick the tiny needle in one of the tiny holes in the manifold. this will keep solution from accidentally spilling out over the manifiold's moat. next time this happens, just leave the heads in the machine, even the broken one and wait for the manifold to come in. you've got a lot more to deal with now that they are out.

diarmuidrobson

I ran quite abit of solution through the heads but in a very slow manner to try and rid any ink in there

What were you saying would cause error07, If there was dried ink in the head upon restarting the printer.

Was trying to think why i am at this position... i had an air leak around the caps area. Was losing cyan nozzles and then all my black went and thats why i was flushing the black head at the manifold.

Would an air leak at the caps cause me too lose all my black nozzles and not the magenta. My printers running 6 colours, 3 heads.

I ordered a complete slider cap assembly but it has taken the company over 2 weeks to get this too me. I Have been screaming at them all this time about my leaking problems but i don't think they care too much.

Is 2 weeks for a part to arrive normal with you guys?.

artbot

two weeks is insane. solventinkonline always ships the part that day or the next day. any trace amount of solvent. the cleaning solution has glycol ethers which prevent drying. the visible surfaces may be dry but easily a tiny crevice could protect solution from evaporating.

diarmuidrobson

Having a bit of a dispute with them about the delay in getting the parts to me. The new caps arrived on monday and comparing them with the old i would say if i had them earlier i would not have had to pull the heads out from the printer..

Let you know how i get on..

diarmuidrobson

Hey guys,

Well everything worked out not to bad. Lost a few nozzles in the process but gained more. The new capping station arrived on monday and sure enough when compared with my old cap you can see that the springs were shot.

Just a shame it took them so long to deliver these parts..

Suppliers have refunded 100 euro but to me this is a slap on the face but i suppose i didn't expect anything less.

Still have the alignment to sort out. Attached a picture of nozzle test.

Attachments

• _DSC0533[1].jpg
    _DSC0533[1].jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 68