• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Build a Font

CentralSigns

Anyone ever build a font around an existing few letters. How much would a project like this cost. Who does this type of work. There are 10 letters made a couple caps and all small. Any ideas??

oldgoatroper

Roper of Goats. Old ones.
What do the letters look like?

Do you want an actual TrueType font complete with a high-quality kerning table? Or just a collection of lettershapes that you can assemble for small projects?

CentralSigns

Right now I have a few letter shapes. Customer wants to add a few more words and thus letters for those words. Maybe at some point they may want to have a whole font of characters, for different advertising ideas they have.

phototec

CentralSigns

Here's the letters that exist now. They want to add Bluenose Viking and Pirate. Any idea what font they may have started with.

Attachments

• ChatterJPG.jpg
    ChatterJPG.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 73

Pat Whatley

Creating the quick version of the font is not that big a deal. You just create all the letterforms and plug them in aligned on the baseline. Fixing all the kerning is where the hard part will come in. For something you're rarely going to use it's much simpler to just make the dirty version and manually kern it. For a chunk letterstyle like that you're really just looking at 10-12 shapes combined in various combinations to create the entire font. You could knock out a quick version in a couple of hours.

This is one I did years ago. I can't for the life of me remember if I drew these letters (similar enough to my hand writing) or copied them from one of the old hand lettered alphabet pages that use to be in Signcraft. I do remember starting it after lunch and having it in the system ready to use before 4:30...not bad for my first time making a font and first time using Corel.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    51.5 KB · Views: 65

CentralSigns

I can't find it Rex. I would think the guy who designed their logo would have used a existing font, but I am unable to find it. But then again it may have been since the brush days as he was a painter as well. A font Id would help lots, and save the customer from the headache of hiring the graphic designer, one partner is pushing to do. We really don't have the time, to create the font ourselves by node edits on the existing font, we are just too busy or should I say overwhelmed with work right now.

Rodi

Fontforge, free if you know how to compile on Mac, Windows, Linux, Unix.

Fontmaster (expensive), but they have light versions for free. Not intuitive, but they are good tools

Pat uses Font Creator, if memory serves.

I'm fairly certain you can find a font that would be well suited to your specific needs. I have seen fonts very similar, so they are around.

Creating fonts is not easy. Read up about how to create a font, it is fairly involved.

Rodi

WildWestDesigns

Fontforge, free if you know how to compile on Mac, Windows, Linux, Unix.

Fontmaster (expensive), but they have light versions for free. Not intuitive, but they are good tools

Pat uses Font Creator, if memory serves.

I'm fairly certain you can find a font that would be well suited to your specific needs. I have seen fonts very similar, so they are around.

Creating fonts is not easy. Read up about how to create a font, it is fairly involved.

Rodi

That's what I have used in the past.

CentralSigns

Thanks for all the help. I did look at the program even downloaded the trial version. Looked cool Rodi. It would be the way to go if I was doing this type of work more than once. For now I will just have to refer the client to a font foundry. I don't have the time nor does the program have the pricing to allow for 1 time use. I just don't think the margins will cover some of my time as well as the program price.

Mosh

I did this a few times back in the 90's with signlab's font creator. Took WAY longer than it was worth, the kerning was always way off.
There are so many free and cheap fonts out there I can't see where it would be worth the effort for a normal sign shop. At the time I thought I was going to light the vinyl cutting world on fire though!!!

CentralSigns

I did this a few times back in the 90's with signlab's font creator. Took WAY longer than it was worth, the kerning was always way off.
There are so many free and cheap fonts out there I can't see where it would be worth the effort for a normal sign shop. At the time I thought I was going to light the vinyl cutting world on fire though!!!

Really not my bag of worms either. I was thinking 2 days min and that was using existing another font letters and modifying them to suit. They are partial to the painted name they have, and want a font created around it for marketing. There are soo many close fonts, and they aren't willing to let the one letter be off.

Mosh

2 DAYS???? Just remember, the Mosh Bowls overhand....he aint got 2 days to waste on making a font!!!!