• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Can you remove the side molding on Ford Transit?

Joe Diaz

We've worked on some in the past, but never needed to do this... I don't have one in front of me. Has anyone removed the molding on the sides of a newer Ford Transit?

ford molding.jpg

Is it glued on or clipped on? OR could one apply graphics over it. Since I don't have one here, I'm not sure what material those are made out of.

:help

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
The fundamental principle of 'If it went on it can be removed' would most certainly indicate that the piece is removable. Unfortunately that principle gives no guidance as to the difficulty of the actual removal and replacement.

Glue or clips? Removal hints? I've always fount that a visit or phone call to a local dealer's parts department will reveal such detail.

Haakon

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ye95uVPtWeM&feature=share&list=PLKGNqCJ57dsShuabSAl9Bwlq-1fACgCm1

It's made of abs plastic and is fastened with foam tape from the factory. If you look at the first minute or so of the clip this issue is addressed with a solution (I'm guessing this is for a wrap situation?)

We usually cut around it, its the kind of plastic that vinyl does not adhere well to, not smooth but the same kind as unpainted plastic bumpers . These cars have been on sale over here in Europe for 10 years or so, very common commercial vehicle around here :)

Joe Diaz

Thanks guys. Haakon, In this case we may want to remove the molding, but not because it would cause any issue during installation. We aren't even doing the install work for this particular project. I'm just designing it. The folks that are doing the install are really really good. I have all the confidence in the world that they could work around the molding, no problem.

The reason I want to remove it is because even though the design we have worked up works with the molding, it would look even better without it. It will be a show truck, so the molding won't be necessary, I was just worried what we will find under it? Just adhesive? or you know sometimes how they have holes that you clip into? Anyway I'm sure the install guys will get to the bottom of it, but I was just curious.

MikePatterson

Head bathroom cleaner.
I have wrapped a few. Just go over it. The things we remove are door handles, tail lights, rear door magnets, and the corresponding metal plate on the quarters.

HulkSmash

Ford Transit Show truck?

yes you can remove it, adhesive tape. Some might have clips depending on the year.

Joe Diaz

Thanks everyone. I passed on the info. The design has been submitted. It should work with or without them, so it will be up to the client and the suppliers as to whether or not to remove them. I personalty think it will look better without them. so we shall see.

Border

For future reference, a fast solution to get an answer on a question like this would be to call the local Ford dealer's parts department. They can pull one from stock and let you know how it is attached and if it has any clips.

Joe Diaz

For future reference, a fast solution to get an answer on a question like this would be to call the local Ford dealer's parts department. They can pull one from stock and let you know how it is attached and if it has any clips.

I'll keep that in mind, Thanks!