• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Car Illustration

Joe Diaz

Can we see it in wireframe? I'm curious to see what's under the hood...
roush_stang_800wide_wire.jpg

and the Corvair:
Corvair_800wide.jpg
Corvair_close_up_800wide.jpg

vid

I select the shade of color on a gradient fill. A dark blue = a dark red, a light blue = a light red. Rinse and Repeat. :thumb:

If you know that the colors may change on an illustration like this, a trick in Illustrator is to to use spot colors to build the components of the image. For example, the car body could be shades of PMS 485 red. In that way, the color can be changed in the palette rather than swapping out individual colors within the illustration.

To build the shadows and darker areas, a gray scale transparency is built over the areas that one would want to affect. (I think something similar is under the lens effect in Corel.) Adjusting the levels of transparency on the individual vector parts creates the dimension, and still allows for a super quick change to the base color from the palette menu.

This technique is helpful when a shadow or reflection crosses an area of two colors - like the trees and buildings you mentioned in an earlier post. A transparent vector shape of that could be drawn to overlay both the red of the car body and the white of the stripe. With the single transparent overlay, one doesn't need to adjust the two base colors to create the same shadow effect.

Hopefully that makes sense...

It does lend itself to a more illustrative look than using different tones of the same color. But, if you vary the colors and the levels of transparency in the vector overlays, it helps to keep the image from looking too flat. ....and it can be a bit of a memory pig.

Great Illustrations! BTW

Joe Diaz

If you know that the colors may change on an illustration like this, a trick in Illustrator is to to use spot colors to build the components of the image. For example, the car body could be shades of PMS 485 red. In that way, the color can be changed in the palette rather than swapping out individual colors within the illustration.

To build the shadows and darker areas, a gray scale transparency is built over the areas that one would want to affect. (I think something similar is under the lens effect in Corel.) Adjusting the levels of transparency on the individual vector parts creates the dimension, and still allows for a super quick change to the base color from the palette menu.

This technique is helpful when a shadow or reflection crosses an area of two colors - like the trees and buildings you mentioned in an earlier post. A transparent vector shape of that could be drawn to overlay both the red of the car body and the white of the stripe. With the single transparent overlay, one doesn't need to adjust the two base colors to create the same shadow effect.

Hopefully that makes sense...

It does lend itself to a more illustrative look than using different tones of the same color. But, if you vary the colors and the levels of transparency in the vector overlays, it helps to keep the image from looking too flat. ....and it can be a bit of a memory pig.

Great Illustrations! BTW

Yeah I here ya, makes perfect sense, however lenses and transparencies do not transfer over from one program to another very well, that is why I try to avoid using them if I know that they are going to be sent out to other vendors. In Corel I can use "find and replace" to swap out shades of color, but in this case I like to do it manually so I can fine-tune it how I like it. In any case the mustang is going to be only one color and that is the blue, because that is the color of the customers car. The red and dark gray versions, were during commercial break, just for fun work. :thumb:

What you are talking about would be awesome for a website like automotive companies websites, where shoppers can swap out colors or designs, or if I wanted to give an illustration like this a textured wrap-like look.

sardocs

Thanks for the wireframe view, Joe. It helps me understand how some of the pieces fit together, and how the fills are created.