• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Care to share your Epson experience?

greysquirrel

The dryer is needed even for the 80600, depending on the material and ink used. Using the metalic silver ink with no dryer is not going to set and stick to liners. Even reflective vinyls I find I need the dryer.
You should be printing at a slower speed with the metallic ink. I would check your profile, you may be dumping too much on the media. Ive installed, trained, serviced and now print with this platform. Zero drying issues.

iladi

can you give me more info?

- how many passes speed / sqm?
- one strike or two?
- drying time?
- load of ink (medium estimate, yes I know it depens, but..) per sq meter/inch?

Thanks

On the HP latex I have

- about 3,5 sq meters / hour
- medium 40 ml ink / sq meter (including Lc, Lm and optimizer)

iladi

You should be printing at a slower speed with the metallic ink. I would check your profile, you may be dumping too much on the media. Ive installed, trained, serviced and now print with this platform. Zero drying issues.

can you give me more info about your backlit experience?

- how many passes speed / sqm?
- one strike or two?
- drying time?
- load of ink (medium estimate, yes I know it depens, but..) per sq meter/inch?

Thanks

On the HP latex I have

- about 3,5 sq meters / hour
- medium 40 ml ink / sq meter (including Lc, Lm and optimizer)

iladi

I've got my print samples today.

Vinyl:
much better quality than HP Latex. 6p Hq is slighty better than 10p on Latex 310. 8p Hq way better. Scratch resistance, on the other hand is way lower.

Backlit:
12p is selable at most. 16 p is OK, less saturated tha my 200% HP profile but very good for most customers. I was impressed by the ink consumption: half in 16 passes then HP backlit, so it makes room for over inking in case my very picky client wants to. And one question: can you increase the saturation in the Epson RIP that comes with the printer? I curently use PrintFactory as my RIP and in profiles I make for Canon I can increase saturation by up to 20%, not the same in the caned HP profiles (I cannot make transmisive profiles). Can I find a "saturation boost" or similar in Onyx-Epson driver?

Speed:
is about the same

Drying:
I was told that backlit came out dry in 16p

yannb

I've got my print samples today.

Vinyl:
much better quality than HP Latex. 6p Hq is slighty better than 10p on Latex 310. 8p Hq way better. Scratch resistance, on the other hand is way lower.

Backlit:
12p is selable at most. 16 p is OK, less saturated tha my 200% HP profile but very good for most customers. I was impressed by the ink consumption: half in 16 passes then HP backlit, so it makes room for over inking in case my very picky client wants to. And one question: can you increase the saturation in the Epson RIP that comes with the printer? I curently use PrintFactory as my RIP and in profiles I make for Canon I can increase saturation by up to 20%, not the same in the caned HP profiles (I cannot make transmisive profiles). Can I find a "saturation boost" or similar in Onyx-Epson driver?

Speed:
is about the same

Drying:
I was told that backlit came out dry in 16p
Regarding the saturation boost: media profiles are made with a certain ink limit per channel. This defines the outer boundaries of your icc profile. Increasing these after profiling, you risk over inking. Another way to squeeze out extra saturation, is firstly to explore how your file was treated in the rip. You can always try to assign an input profile that has a larger gamut than the one that was used. For instance: replace US Web Coated with EpsonWideGamut in the case your file was CMYK, or use AdobeRGB instead of sRGB. Do this only if the aim is not to reproduce colors faithfully, but only to explore gamut boundaries and wish higher saturation no matter what.

iladi

It is not me, it is the client who asks for extra saturation. But I see I can convert ICC into internal Printfactory engine and there I can boost saturation up to 20%, if it will be requested. For now, my only concern regarding 40610 it is the drying time of the backlits and consider to buy the extra dryer or make my self one with 12V computer fans.

iladi

Update:

I am printig on the Epson for 2 days and I have the first impresions.

The good:
1. print quality. It is superior to HP 310 on the materials I tested so far (avery vinyl gloss and matte, no name paper, backlit)
2. operating noise
3. up time
4. costs per unit

The bad:
1. the smell. Is there and it is strong (especialy due to my small space). But I don't know what kills you first: voc from Epson or the fog from HP Latex. So better call it a draw.
2. drying time on backlit. Yes quality is there but the drying time is not. I have to wait tens of minutes to touch the print. So I must find a way to force dry the prints. Maybe one floor fan is eough, maybe I have to make a dryier from computer fans, time will tell.

iladi

Edit:

Same file, backlit printed. Printer reports:

Epson= 5.52 ml
k = 0.12
m = 2.84
y = 2.17
c = 0.12

HP Latex 310 = 9.68 ml
k = 0.42
m = 3.86
y = 3.65
c = 0.49
Lc = 0.3
Lm = 0.3
OP = 0.65

Almost double the ink

tudouqiezi

Purchased a 15 day old 80600 and ran into this problem, don't know how to fix it, already calibrated it

Attachments

• 80600.jpg
    80600.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 90
Purchased a 15 day old 80600 and ran into this problem, don't know how to fix it, already calibrated it
This appears to be horizontal banding. If you have already performed the media feed calibration, you will need to significantly slow down the print speed by using a higher pass or printing unidirectional.

Perform a search- many others have reported the same artifact, particularly in blue solids.

Last edited:

swordguy3222

2 things, either run your feed calibration or just run it 8 pass HQ on uni. Solid colour can be a pain, if its large solid colours just run it uni, a little extra time is better then wasted media.