• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cast or Calendered?

The age old question.. I recently lettered a white semi using a Gerber CMYK print. I used Oracal 651 calendered and laminated with Oracal 210g . Should I have used Cast material (also laminated with cast) The laminate gives it +2 years uv protection. I have another truck to do this weekend that is Black in color, cast or calendered? Thanks in advance!

Bill Modzel

The only vehicle graphics I do with calendered are school sports window decals.
Commercial vehicles ALWAYS get the good stuff. The few bucks you save aren't
worth it in the long one.

The cost of one failure in labor and reputation isn't worth the chance.

MikePro

make sur the client is aware either direction you go... I always price for cast materials for vehicle graphics. Anyone willing to pay your prices without too much hassle, you want to make happy in the long run. If they want to save a few bucks, then say you can offer them an inferior product for less, but it will only last so long...

GoodPeopleFlags

I think the calendered will be fine as long as it's not a wrap, and I'm assuming it's not. I use it now. It's not a "trying to save money" thing. How long does vehicle lettering really need to last? With calendered, you will get about 3 - 4 years. By that time, they may either get a new truck or want it changed anyway. With cast, you'll get about 6 - 8 years. Ever remove cast vinyl from a vehicle? It sucks. But you can ask your custumer if he wants it for 3 - 4 years or 6 - 8 years and charge accordingly.

JR's

I am sorry I disagree with BlueFishDesigns, in my town the guys seem to hang on to there vehicles for a long time. I have one out there its 8 year old vinyl still looks good. but my layout and what I thourt looked cool is ugly... :0

I have a easer time removing cast vinyl compared to cal.

you will loose every bit of savings on one failer. and if its a fleet you could loose your shirt.

just my 2 cents.

JR

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I am sorry I disagree with BlueFishDesigns, in my town the guys seem to hang on to there vehicles for a long time. I have one out there its 8 year old vinyl still looks good. but my layout and what I thourt looked cool is ugly... :0

I have a easer time removing cast vinyl compared to cal.

you will loose every bit of savings on one failer. and if its a fleet you could loose your shirt.

just my 2 cents.

JR

I would have to agree with JR's. Years ago I did some signature labels for vehicles and used 651 instead of Scotchcal. They were showing noticeable sun fade after only two months although the vinyl still was fine. I concluded that the thermal foils don't hold an image as well on the Oracal 651 film. Stick with cast for Edge printed vehicle graphics.

Jillbeans

I only do cut vinyl but I would never put calandared on a vehicle.
Use the best stuff possible.
The value of the vinyl should be equal to the value of the substrate.
Coro=calendared Car=cast
Love....Jill

GoodPeopleFlags

I would have to agree with JR's. Years ago I did some signature labels for vehicles and used 651 instead of Scotchcal. They were showing noticeable sun fade after only two months although the vinyl still was fine. I concluded that the thermal foils don't hold an image as well on the Oracal 651 film. Stick with cast for Edge printed vehicle graphics.

Yeah, the vinyl has to be "Edge Ready", for sure. I didn't think about that part. Isn't there Edge Ready calendered? I don't remember now. Been awhile since I've had to use Edge printed stuff for vehicles. But i know I used to use a calendered on the Edge and never had any problems. We use 3651RA and print with our Epson now.

I think your location can have something to do with how long an edge print will last. I'm in north Alabama and never had a problem with anything fading too quickly. Then I moved to Gulf Shores and the decals I'd had on my car for 2 years faded in about 3 months.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Yeah, the vinyl has to be "Edge Ready", for sure. I didn't think about that part. Isn't there Edge Ready calendered? I don't remember now. Been awhile since I've had to use Edge printed stuff for vehicles. But i know I used to use a calendered on the Edge and never had any problems. We use 3651RA and print with our Epson now.

I think your location can have something to do with how long an edge print will last. I'm in north Alabama and never had a problem with anything fading too quickly. Then I moved to Gulf Shores and the decals I'd had on my car for 2 years faded in about 3 months.

Edge Ready is a somewhat valueless term since it is really nothing more than Gerber certifying it as such ... and they only certify what they sell. We continue to use some Oracal 651 for Edge prints but, when it is to be an outdoor use, we always overprint it with Apex UV/Abrasion Guard foil. We do not, however, use the 651 on any vehicles.

Marlene

cast only! ( unless you are a shop near me, then use calandar!!! I'll pick up all of your ex-customers when they get ticked off because their vinyl fell off or shunk!!)

No worries though. The guy with the calendered truck shorted me 25 bux as he did 5 years ago... Now he'll be back sooner than planned :)... He just never learns. A local "bigtime" sign/graphics/wrap shop in the next town over sent out a flyer $200 value free lettering job... He even added $50 to it (since he thought I was always high priced). After that lasted one year (cheap chrome real cheap economy vinyl) on his truck he complained and showed up with the truck I did 5yrs prior and showed them how it still looked good. He mentioned me and they promptly dissed me as I "work out of my garage" and can't hold a candle to their equipment.. So back he came.. But left very happy!

Thanks everyone!

Last edited:

emo

Go with cast.

Hey Red Ball, tell 'em about the client that was in a couple days ago to pick up the bobtail. We had just put their new layout on the rear and as we stood there yappin' he said he couldn't tell the difference between the new work and the sides which were done some 9 or 10 years ago.

Are we getting that shabby with our installs? :ROFLMAO:

Red Ball

Seasoned Citizen
Emo, it just shows you we just have not learned nuthin nohow.

Yes the project is nine years old and still looks good. Gerber branded 220 series 3M vinyl.