• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Cedar sandblasting 101, test gone bad

laserfred

Hello guys,

we went to the local machine shop yesterday with a piece of cedar to test if they could help us with the sandblasting. I put a sandblast mask over a piece of red cedar plank and hand -cut some random shapes. They tried sandblasting it at 100psi with the beads they are using for their metal parts (rust removing and prepping), but the result was not quite acceptable.. Here are some photos I took of the piece (mask is still on). Anyone know what might be the problem ?

thanks in advance.

Attachments

• DSCF5756.JPG
    DSCF5756.JPG
    97.8 KB · Views: 433
  • DSCF5757.JPG
    DSCF5757.JPG
    69.6 KB · Views: 376
  • DSCF5758.JPG
    DSCF5758.JPG
    97 KB · Views: 355
  • DSCF5761.JPG
    DSCF5761.JPG
    125.7 KB · Views: 346

nashvillesigns

Making America great, one sign at a time.
blasting

lets see.
blasting a soft organic wood that has more grain than a wheat field with a total controlled, but random material.
yea. that explains it.
you are better off with a router, sir.....

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We always used silica sand in the beginning and switched to Aluminum oxide in later years.

However, your main problem can be seen in your second picture. You're not using vertical grain. What you're doing is like blasting a picnic table. There is nothing pretty about blasting away at flat grain.

tbullo

Superunknown
You need vertical grain boards and proper blast media like the other post says. Try some number 1 media, works for us.

laserfred

I will check what kind of grit was used and also make sure of the right orientation for the wood grain.

thank you guys for the tips!

Joe Crumley

I'm way too late with this post but here's my input. I'd suggest having the blasting done by others. You CAN'T make money doing this every once in a while. One of the misnomers is the PSI. You don't want anything as high as 100. That will do nothing good except have a tendency to raise your mask. It's the CFM you are looking for. Our basting is done with 160 CFM at 80PSI. That gives plenty of air volume. That's what you are looking for not PSI. Perhaps I should write a little blurb on the topic but it's so rarely used today I doubt there is enough interest. Joe Crumley

JR's

I'm way too late with this post but here's my input. I'd suggest having the blasting done by others. You CAN'T make money doing this every once in a while. One of the misnomers is the PSI. You don't want anything as high as 100. That will do nothing good except have a tendency to raise your mask. It's the CFM you are looking for. Our basting is done with 160 CFM at 80PSI. That gives plenty of air volume. That's what you are looking for not PSI. Perhaps I should write a little blurb on the topic but it's so rarely used today I doubt there is enough interest. Joe Crumley

:goodpost: please do. thanks for the info.

JR

Mosh

+on the volume not pressure...also the wood should be a dryed cedar, NOT some cedar you picked up down at home depot for deck building....trust me it will be a huge difference....