• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Channel Letter measurement tool

Faith Sign Co

Could someone please direct me to software that can calculate the measurement of distance around a letter? Need to use this to estimate the amount of coil needed for returns. Our new machine calculates it, however, that is after you input the drawing for fabrication. I would like to know prior to that. Thank you.

MikePro

cadtools by hotdoor is a plugin for illustrator that will give you the perimeter of a letter or the sum of perimeters if selecting multiple letters.

bowtievega

Premium Subscriber
In Flexi, you can select a shape, then under the 'Edit' tab, drop down to 'Job Statistics'. It will bring up a chart that lists height, width, area, perimeter etc. You can also group a bunch of letters together and it will give you the stats as a group as well.

Gettin'By

Pitstop Pro can do it as well. Create an action list that has the Check Line Art By Length action in it. Set it for The Total Length Must Be less than some tiny number like .0001. Set it to log as a warning. Of course the check will fail and it will tell you what it actually is. Mine is set up to select only the cutlines in a file that may also have art on it by selecting objects on the CutContour_Flex layer.

Screenshot (21).png

JBurton

Signtologist
View attachment 168458
Quite a bit different. Wonder how each are calculated.
Ya sure that macro is giving appropriate values? Checking should be easy with a square or circle. I have a good deal of faith in corel's built in length of curve...
Wait, did you macro resize the results? Just based off of the ruler up top, your width is about 4.25", which comes out to 25ish", to get your macro value of 43.995", the width would need to be around 7.25" wide.

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
Pretty sure the free Graphtec Cutting Master plug in will tell you cut length (if you happen to have a Graphtec).

Aaron Hunter

Both Corel and Illy have that information handy-ish.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 3.26.01 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 3.26.01 PM.png
    69 KB · Views: 44
  • Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 3.24.56 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-11-22 at 3.24.56 PM.png
    111.7 KB · Views: 43

myront

CorelDRAW is best
Ya sure that macro is giving appropriate values? Checking should be easy with a square or circle. I have a good deal of faith in corel's built in length of curve...
Wait, did you macro resize the results? Just based off of the ruler up top, your width is about 4.25", which comes out to 25ish", to get your macro value of 43.995", the width would need to be around 7.25" wide.
Hmmm, after more testing both the macro and the docker have the same results. On the day I took the snapshot things could have very well gone wonky so, yes, I agree trust the docker.