• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

City logo design critique

sardocs

I like that script also. Is it a Mike Stevens typeface? It has need of some node editing to fix a few "flat tires", but I had no problem reading it in the thumbnail.

Pat Whatley

I like that script also. Is it a Mike Stevens typeface? It has need of some node editing to fix a few "flat tires", but I had no problem reading it in the thumbnail.
Sophia Script by Chuck Davis with a few minor adjustments here and there.

Jillbeans

I like the middle option the best, but I don't care for the fade on the bridge.
Can you make the bridge a pale grey or are you stuck using light blue?
Love....Jill

DesireeM

Have you discussed with the city how they plan to use the logo? It's a nice logo but may not be practical.

In our business we have a promotional products department and I know the headaches of trying to use logos with gradients or elements that overlap. The gradients and fades in the logo would be hard to render as one-color or just in general which is what usually happens if the logo is applied to pens or lanyards or whatever....same goes for silk screening and embroidery or laser etching. Or contour cutting, cnc routing...

For example - You'll end up with heat pressed decals on jackets with a white contour around the logo...

Pat Whatley

Doesn't seem like embroidery would be that big a deal. Convert the bridge to a solid light blue and the rest is just basic embroidery.

Attachments

• wetumpka 43.jpg
    wetumpka 43.jpg
    73.7 KB · Views: 105

DesireeM

Doesn't seem like embroidery would be that big a deal. Convert the bridge to a solid light blue and the rest is just basic embroidery.

Yeah that's what I was picturing. It definitely works as one-color. Are you supplying a full logo guide with the solid color options?
I love making and getting those. It's everything you need in a neat little package.

Pat Whatley

Yeah that's what I was picturing. It definitely works as one-color. Are you supplying a full logo guide with the solid color options?
I love making and getting those. It's everything you need in a neat little package.
This is really more of a (paid) favor for a really good friend. She'll get a gradient version, spot color version, and a black/white version. There won't be a logo guide, she wouldn't pay attention to it anyway. This is really just a short-term use kind of thing, she'll use it on regional promotional pieces and some in-town work. The city has plans for a full blown branding campaign (way out of my league) in a couple of years that will end up with a permanent icon and logo.

shoresigns

The script font is pretty, but not nearly legible enough for a city logo. Unless the whole town and any potential tourists are native English-speaking aged 30+ and grew up learning handwriting, no one is going to be able to read this at a glance. Assuming that's not the case, this really isn't an appropriate font choice at all.

WildWestDesigns

Unfortunately, that isn't the case, not in the layouts that you have shown. What most people forget is size constraints, embroidery has physical minimums with regard to size.

The most commonly asked for size is either a logo crest (left shirt front) and/or hat size (sometimes people want both for the same file). A typical logo crest size is usually 4" or less at it's biggest side, with the average around 3.5". Although, I have done designs as big as 5" for an LC.

Attached you'll see two screen shots of your logo sized at 4"s. One is a 1:1 view (my program is calibrated to this monitor, so 1:1 is truly 1:1 on screen, unfortunately, there might be some fluctuations with the screen shot, but it's the best that I can do) to give scale to how the design will look. The second is a blown up view to show the height of your small text which comes in at .17". That's way to small for that thin of lettering to use as normal satin stitching. At best that would have to be running stitches if you want a 100% matching of your design (even then it wouldn't look right at that size and I think running stitches as text looks awful, but that could just be me). While that size is possible, it has to be a thicker font then that, try to do that one in satin stitching and your going to have some holes. Plus at that size, you are looking at one type of block font.

You are correct with this particular design that the bridge will have to be a single color for an LC (or hat design), although gradients are possible in embroidery and would be possible in this design for a jacket back size as the type of gradient that you did is a possible stitch angle within embroidery, it's just again size gets you. I have done gradients in LCs for a couple of users on here, but again it depends on size.

Always have to think about size when it comes to embroidery. The #1 thing that I have to tell people as to why I can't convert their logo directly as is into embroidery is size, especially when it comes to text. Most assume that you can't do gradients at all in embroidery, so I typically don't have to worry about the size issue there, but text size is what gets them.

Attachments

• 1 to 1 View.jpg
    1 to 1 View.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 85
  • Size.jpg
    Size.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 84

Marlene

I liked the super thin fonts spaced out to 500% or more back in th 1990's but it has seen it's day. I would rather see it done in a nomal weight font justified to the left so it falls all before the "p"